Wow! I so wish I found this support group when I first started this journey! I am 2 mos. in and it has been the toughest 2 mos. of my life! The first 2 weeks post-op were as expected, but I had a rehab therapist coming to my home 2x/week and a nurse came 1x/week. Then I had an appointment with my dr's PA.
After that, I was left in the middle of nowhere with no roads or sign posts to give me direction. And the journey got really, really tough! I expected pain, but not on this level up and down my whole leg - from hip to ankle. Unfortunately, the nurse contact at the dr's office offered no direction, no advice, nothing. I felt abandoned. The only place I could search for answers was the internet, and what I learned caused me a great deal of anxiety. According to what I read, I should be getting # amount of flexion by 6 weeks or MUA etc. etc. A lot of disparate misinformation - but what did I know!? (My outpatient therapist didn't have much in the way of answers to all my questions.)
So, for the next 6 weeks I went through an emotional roller coaster ride with increasing anxiety. I worked hard on my exercises, but progress was minimal. The more I tried, the more the pain built. I became so despondent! Finally, I saw the PA again and was assured I was doing fine, and not I would not need MUA. Phew!!!
But I still despaired as my ROM was 95 on my own, and 102 with assistance, with 8 degrees extension. Not great. I committed myself to find the perfect balance of exercising to the limit, without overdoing it and ending up in pain. Still fighting with the anxiety of getting to at least 120 flexion before the 3 mos. "limit".
While searching the internet for reasons why I seemed to have stalled out at under 100, I came across this forum. I cannot tell you how wonderful it was to read about so many people's experiences, and the assurances that EVERYTHING I was going through was all par for the course. The fears and anxieties, the emotional meltdowns, the stiffness and pain, the exhaustion etc., I could relate to it all! But what gave me the MOST comfort, was learning how improvements can be made well past the 3 mos. mark. This has given me room to stop pushing myself so hard, and to let the healing process unfold with gentle assistance and patience. I am so grateful for this! I hope my recorded journey can contribute to this forum in a meaningful way.
So! I am 2 mos. post TKR. It's Sunday after Thanksgiving and I resume rehab on Monday. Last measurement of assisted knee flexion was 102 - but that was over a week ago. I had to back off my exercises because I pushed too hard and got tendonitis on the outside of my knee. I've learned my lesson, and will have faith that slow and steady will produce a better outcome.
Yes, I have that tight band feeling, sometimes more than others, but I can't say it's so bad. I take a couple of Tylenols PMs to help me sleep. (Sleep has gotten better, but I still toss around a bit.) And in the morning I take a couple of Advils as I tend to be sore, probably from what my knee goes thru with all that tossing around in my sleep. During the day, I'm a bit sore, but not enough for more pain meds. And yes, by evening I am done. I have gone out a few times for dinner with friends, but it gets pretty uncomfortable, and I am ready to go home after a few hours.
Though my ROM isn't great, after reading other people's status reports, I realize I'm not doing as badly as I had thought. And I still have a long way to go, it can only get better!
For those still suffering, I wish for relief and satisfaction to come to you soon!