THR one year later ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Peaches What a brilliant 18 month report. That's fantastic about the stairs . Im well impressed. I was like Kim, Ok with stairs in the house, but had to hold on when I was out. Ive had a fear of stairs for a long time. Now I cant really do stairs at all -so back to square one. Loving it that you can do normal things like swerve around slow people and jog for the bus. Its these normal things that make such a difference to our lives. Im sorry that your back is still bothering you though .
 
@Peaches i love the honesty and thoughtfulness of your update, and besides I like to hear from you! Just to say, you are So Far Ahead of me in stairs!!! I can do our split level's short flights at a trot(sort of), but was recently challenged by having to get to the nosebleed section of a 1920's vaudeville theater. Clearly my quads need lots and lots of work! I am happy that you are back to being the urbanite you are! That spondylolisthesis sounds awful, however. My 24yr old son has that too.
@Poppet @Kim22 @TeeEm and anybody I forgot, hey there!! :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
@Poppet , how wonderful to see you again ... and I’m so sorry you’ve had health problems and glad to hear that it seems much better. Also glad you’ve got some sunshine and warm weather, which will help, I’m sure. And I love your beach photo on your avatar, too. I have to ask how the “countdown” is going? Thanks so much for your supportive comments about my plain-Jane post-op achivements. You’ve had a lifetime of back pain due to that injury ... how awful.

Do you think spine surgery is in your future? I shudder at the prospect of that; don’t know enough about it. My back pain came out of nowhere, when the hip went bad. After surgery it is chronic and I wonder if the surgery made it worse. I guess we both have learned a coping Band-Aid or two for the back. Please take care. I always enjoy seeing your posts too. And you and anyone, please feel free to “highjack” (tho I don’t think of it that way) my thread any time. It’s all about community and it doesn’t matter where we congregate to discuss all the things we do. I’m happy to see people here and sharing what they’re going through.


@Kim22 , thank you for your ongoing support and friendship through this whole hip thing. You’ve given me a lot of tips that believe me I have not disregarded at all, despite my sounding like I don’t always follow up with my “I’ll have to try that someday” talk. I know you have had quite the ride since your THR and hope you are continuing to see improvements with the things that ultimately have helped you. Your posts have been very helpful to so many, so thank you for that.


As for the stairs, believe me, I don’t “go commando” without rails all the time. I play it by ear. Very steep and shallow ones are hard. Just the other day I was practicing going up a very long staircase, not too shallow, but about 25 steps up without holding on, i suddenly felt I couldn’t do it anymore. Lack of strength and then shortly after that, loss of confidence. So I had to scootch over to the side and get the rail to finish going up the 10 or so more steps.


I was kinda kidding about walking faster to skirt around texters. I really feel it’s a safety thing to learn to walk faster, since you truly do have to dodge errant bicyclists, skaters, skateboarders, and the lot when walking in this crazy city. I felt vulnerable before when I couldn’t quickly get out of the way. So that’s my real motivation for “getting a move on.”


@TeeEm, how lovely of you to come on over from your knee recovery and take time to post on my “nothing fancy” recovery update. You will get your confidence back about stairs, trust me. I really and truly believed for the longest time (till recently) I was “never” do stairs again without trepidation and certainly never without rails. But it’s doable. Just do it in small bites, very slow and steady to gain confidence and balance and strength. Meanwhile, you’ve got your knee to deal with. And it sounds like you are doing very well! So pleased.


Dear @zauberflöte ... always so nice to hear from you and read what you’re up to. (And where can I read your update about your son’s wedding??? How did that go? Eager to hear.) What I said already about the stairs. And believe me, it’s the type of stairs that dictates if I go commando or not. Certainly easier on graduated steps. And I do not “trot” up or down them. As for the nosebleed section, did you find that your legs need lots of work in the old-fashioned sense of just needing to “get back in shape” (so to speak)? Because THAT sensation has really made me kind of happy lately. when I climb too many steps and feel “out of shape” sore, I think, “Oh, THAT’s normal!” That’s not the same as post-op pain. Hope this makes sense. Anyway, you sound like you’re doing very very well in your recovery, despite a few hems and haws like many of us have. Hope you stick around, too, and keep us updated.


Hope everyone has a great weekend.
 
Hi Peaches, just read your 18 month update. Well done you! Milestones do not need to be dramatic - just progress.
spondylolisthesis--a vertebrae slipped atop another one and impinged the nerve) than the operated hip.
I had no idea you had this - I too suffer and did have spinal surgery (that didn't work). Also have degenerative discs and stenosis.
I actually do wonder if the surgery made the back worse--and I don't exactly know how I think that could be.
With my LTHR - yes the surgery caused a major back flareup. I saw an osteopath for several months and had acupuncture which helped. So far I am not really seeing the major back issues I had with this recent THR. Fingers crossed!

I find the key is to just keep moving.
 
@Peaches I will have to put up some wedding news in social!
Yes, the stairs nearly conquered me simply bc of lack of quad strength, and, truth be told, my lungs weren't giving me enough oxygen! There is nothing I can do about the asthma, but quad training will be beneficial!
When I say "trot', I don't yet mean bounce. I get up momentum on the first three step and then can elephantinely go faster up the last three. Hoping for more bounce before we move out of this rental...nice to have stAirs again!


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @Peaches

That's a great 1.5 year update. Here's hoping there's more improvement to come.

Yes, I have a shallow hip socket too, i always stood and walked funny. My lower back pain got more and more severe before surgery, but thankfully that has gone now, it's the muscles in the rest of my back that now have to adjust to the different way I stand and walk. They are taking their time! I went to Melbourne last week and walked most of the four days we were there. Now my back is most unimpressed. It's mostly when I'm in bed that I feel it which can make it difficult to get a good nights sleep. Now I have a job which I start on Monday, I can visit the Osteo more often.

Hi @Poppet @Kim22 @zauberflöte lovely to see you all here!
 
Hi, @octopus ... that's great to hear you got to go and walk so much in Melbourne. What do you mean when you say your back is unimpressed? I hope that means the back pain didn't occur. It's wonderful to hear that your former back pain has ebbed. Did you start back to work just this past Monday?? How'd it go? I'm glad that means you can have your osteo visits. I believe Jaycey has said she benefitted from an osteopath, too.

@zauberflöte ... I looked for the wedding pix over in "social" but couldn't find them. Hope you are doing okay.

Well, everyone, I think I have a "P.S." about the grand "stairs without rails" experiment. I think it might have been a dumb idea for me to try it. Well, not a total loss ... because I've got a lot of mental and even a bit of physical strength and confidence from frequently (but NOT ALWAYS and NOT on certain stairs and NEVER on those high steps the old busses here have) doing stairs without holding on to a rail.

Having said that ... you know I'm a big believer in the value of sharing info, with details, and not glossing things over. So I have to say that the last couple of weeks or so I've had yet more and different areas of lower lower back pain, in the butt area on both sides but often on the op side (the right side). I had one day of excessive walking around (with stops, but still, a LOT of waking around) on both Sat. and Sun. and I felt so awful on Monday, it honestly felt like those early days out from surgery. No kidding. I don't mean "this pain is so bad, I need morphine!" or something that dramatic. But I mean, deep, horrible, nagging, constant butt and lower back pain. Dogging me pretty bad, but then really bad. I thought maybe it's SI joint, the dreaded piriformis. Not sure. But in the back of my mind I thought, gee, maybe it's related to doing steps, especially going UP, without holding on. Maybe i'm not doing steps evenly anymore, overcompensating on the right side because I'm not holding on. Does this make sense? So ... I went back to holding on to the rails. Not death grip. But not lightly. USING the rails again. And guess what ... the butt pain has receded quite a bit and even the lower back pain has receded a bit. I'm not saying the back pain is cured and I don't think frankly it will be. It's not muscular pain; it's structural. But anyway, I think my cute little experiment of going up without holding on to a rail messed me up.

Anyway, today was a return to a quite low pain and I was on cloud nine all day long! Just elated. I still have to moderate and monitor my back--as the physiatrist told me, don't stand too long or walk too long--mix it up! He didn't say "keep it moving." And he didn't say, "sit and never get up." He said standing for too long and walking for too long nonstop is NOT good, so mix it up, switch 'er out. So I still do that. But walking on stairs WITH holding on seems to have made the butt pain better. I hope this is not a fluke. But I wanted to tell you all, in case this helps you.

And if my theory sounds nuts, please weigh in. Your input is valuable. I will keep you posted. I hope everyone is having a good week and is progressing in ways that matter to YOU.

Thank you for your support, as always!
 
Hi Peaches

That's interesting, I'm glad your little experiment with the stairs has had a good outcome. Anything that reduces pain is a good thing!

For some reason all the muscles in my back are sore again, they had started to improve. (it's an after effect from surgery, now that I walk differently than I have for a very long time). I have been wracking my brains as to why, but I can't think of anything. It makes a good alarm clock, even though it's a bit early. The pain wakes me about 4.15 each morning at the moment. I know this because our very early native bird, the Tui, starts his annoying calls at 4.30 am! I'm hoping the visits to the Osteo will bring some relief.
 
@Peaches oh my I totally forgot to do anything with the wedding pix! I have been tied up and putting out brush fires and all that life stuff... Will get to it!! :)
Glad your butt pain abated! I am afraid mine is piriformis, and I know from the PT that both my pubic symphesis an the S-I joint like to get out of whack on op side. This started 15 or so years before OA kicked in!
How about if every few days you did a few steps no-hands? Just sort of easing into it.
I always love your discussions and think your recovery thread should be required reading for all new hippies!! :) :)


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Hi @Peaches ....
I was feeling some 'pain in the butt' area , and went to OS.
He did Xray of my hips and back.... and pronounced that I have DDD (degenerative disk disease) in Lumbar
4 and 5. Gave me a script to PT for exercises to abate.
So .. what I thought was piriformis was lower back OA. ugh.....
I still have a slight bit of 'tug' at times (probably a zero on 1-10) in the groin/adductor area, as well.

Is any of this similar to you?
 
Loved your update @Peaches....I guess my recovery has been much the same as yours. The hip is great without that pain....no hi- jinx for me...general daily living.....if only the rest of the body would cooperate xxxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@octopus ... how's your back? I have not been on here for a while and just saw your report that the back is acting up again. Remind me how long since the surgery? I do hope the osteo can help. I believe it is Jaycey who has had success with an osteo. Of course not all back pain is alike.

Nice to see you, dear @zauberflöte ... hope you are doing well. The "elephantine" part I can relate to. The bouncing, not so much. Again, I would see middle-aged or older women, not fit, not trim, wearing heels, and carrying things in both hands and doing stairs without holding on to rails! This is in old movies. So that convinced me that prior to the arthritis hell and surgery and recovery from surgery, the body must be able to do stairs like that. Having said that, I am glad to go back to holding on lightly to the rails again if it means decreasing the added pain I was getting. The lower-lower back pain I have from the degenerative spondylolisthesis is ENOUGh to deal with. I don't need added pain (which was what I THINk is the S.I. joint area, though I can't be sure).

Just yesterday I was walking more and more around the office, because I felt good and felt like it. And joking around with a colleague who challenged me to a mini foot race down the hallway. We were laughing and briefly race walking. I said, "You're letting me win." She's the fastest walker I've ever seen. There was a long pause, and then she said, "Yeah, I am." Very funny. Anyway, last night and this morning the S.I. joint (I think) area is sore! I have calmed it down a little with a heating pad and Advil. Bedrest helped, too. It wasn't too bad when I woke up at first. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the race walking and bouncing didn't do me any favors.

I know I sound uber cautious, but I just can't stand aggravating things unnecessarily and I really dread and fear soft tissue setbacks. But we are all different, and what works for one might work for another even while it does not work for someone else. I guess that sounds very random, but I really have come to believe that anatomical, soft tissue, orthopedic, arthritic inflicted body parts--that trying to "fix" all this stuff via PT and exercise is really more of an ART than a SCIENCE. I don't know that this is true. This is just what rings loudly in my brain.

So I really enjoy your discussions, so many of the ideas and input and feedback here. What I've loved about Bonesmart is when people share what they've tried, what worked and didn't work.

@Hoppy Nanny ... hi there! I'm glad your new hip is working out well. I hear you about "no hijinks." I never was a hijnks-er in the first place. Other than a mini race walk competition at the workplace. Just a moment's silliness during the workday. Are you having problems with other areas like the dread K word (knee)? I hope not. Keep us posted. It's a long process, this surgery aftermath!

Hi, @MajorHeidi ... how are you doing?? Have your PT sessions helped? The piriformis is such a mysterious little monster. I too have thought some pain I've had is that. But no, I don't think so. I have had the tugs in the groin that you refer to--but that has been on "the other hip" side and I do attribute that to "degenerative changes" in the other hip--meaning, that hip is going down someday probably. Groin pain really is the big indicator, I think, for me, that it's hip arthritis. In the op hip side, from the first year onward, I have started to get a tug in the adductor area. Not pain, but tug. OS said it's weak adductors. When I did stairs without holding on to the rails, the tugging went away. Now it's back sometimes. Of all the stuff I am concerned about, that tug is at the bottom of the list. I hope I'm not deluding myself.

I'm sorry you have DDD, but I'm glad at least you got a diagnosis based on X-rays and I will keep my fingers crossed for you that the PT works out for you. When I got back X-rays and an MRI of the back last year I was warned that for people in my age bracket (60s) and onward, any back MRI is going to show a lot of nasty, scary things going on--DDD, arthritis, lots of fun stuff. BUT that not all of that stuff gives you pain. That it's normal for an aging back to have all those "signs" of degeneration. So that's why they don't always like to do an MRI; too scary. However, I was really glad to get one. They pointed out the scary sounding stuff that's probably not a big deal, and pointed out the stuff to be concerned about. In my case, it's spondylolisthesis (degenerative) of the lower spine. This feels like a nearly constant pain in the center and very lower back, far below the waist. I never had this pain ever prior to my hip going bad, prior to surgery. Ever since surgery, that lower back pain has been persistent. It is relieved by sitting, lying down, by starting to walk when I've been standing too long; by sitting down when I've been walking too long.

The added pain I have, which I refer to as butt pain, is lower back but off to the side, but not near the crease where the butt meets the leg. I THINK it's in the S.I. joint area. It hurts when I aggravate it by overdoing it in some way. I need to get it checked out. Finding the time to take off work to do that is the problem.

Please keep us posted. I would say this--and take it with a grain of salt, as I am no expert--but I don't think all back pain is alike and that what works for some works for everyone. My back doc and his two PTs I worked with all concurred that for my specific condition, I should not be running off and trying a chiro, yoga, acupuncture, shots, TENS unit, etc., etc. (all of which the doc does use--for OTHER back conditions) without talking to them first. and some of that stuff they did not recommend for my back pain at all. They were horrified when I asked about a chiropractor. They said, "for SOME back conditions, but NOT for yours." So I'm very cautious about "trying things." The temptation is always there, and I will try things for some problems, but for the back, I'm pretty wary. The only thing that has "worked" for me is the combo of sitting, standing, and walking--rather than marathon-style walks and standing for long periods. And sitting for too long. Even at 1.5 years after the THR, I STILL get very very stiff when I first get up from sitting, even if it's only been about 20 minutes, when it's sitting in a certain type of chair (office chair). If I sit for an hour? I'm severely stiff when I get up. So that's why I frequently get up and walk a lot around the office. And on the weekends, if I try to walk too long without stopping? I pay for it. It's not worth it. It's an aggravation of the impinged nerve, rather than a strengthening of muscles. So it's short but frequent walks that I try. And I'm still not "all well" and able to "do anything."

Still have a lot to figure out!!!

Best to everyone ... please keep us posted when you can!
 
HaPpY NeW yEaR to all on Bonesmart!

Everyone who has visited my thread and given so much support, I wish you all a great 2015 with all things orthopedic (and otherwise).

There are names I tried to tag that I'm sorry to say will not be able to reply: @TeeEm and @Maeve ... your voices are missed here. Please know how helpful and fun you were to so many of us during our THR. Take care of your new knee!. @ByGosh and @Butterfly, I think of you often and hope you are okay. You are sorely missed.

Happy and healthy 2015 to everyone!
 
Happy New Year to you too @Peaches . Haven't seen you around here much but hope all is well. Here's hoping 2015 is a better year!
 
Hi @Peaches A very Happy New Year to you too.I agree with you that @TeeEm and @Maeve are sadly missed on here as they were both good friends of ours who gave a lot of support.I do hope @ByGosh is ok as it is over a year since we heard from her and I miss her too.The fun we had on the Goshport really helped me get through those early days with the new hip.Thank you Peaches for your friendship and support and I hope 2015 is a wonderful year for you x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom