Guest viewing is limited

THR one year later ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Peaches Nice to hear from you . Well my knee is still intact ! Due to a clerical error, it wont be done until October now. Thankfully it hasn't deteriorated, so I can hang on for a bit. As long as its not too close to Christmas, otherwise I'll postpone it until afterwards. Lol. No stinky toilet raise, thank God. In fact there is no restrictions of any kind. To put your mind at rest, Ive had that tight muscle sensation across my thigh quite a lot usually when I start walking , then it goes off. I don't get it for ages, then it starts again. I asked a PT about it a long time ago, and she said the same as your OS - muscle weakness/imbalance, common and no big deal. I suppose we have to expect these twinges for sometime, but they can be worrying . Apart from that, I think we are doing fabulously well with our hips. I really hardly think about it anymore.
 
Hi, @TeeEm ... sorrry about the clerical error, but am so glad you aren't in awful pain and you feel you can hang in there till October. I'm glad there are no restrictions. I wondered about sitting low on a toilet and how that would be. Thank goodness you don't have to worry about dislocation like we did with the hip.

Sorry too you also have the weird tight "pain" on the hip side. Mine SEEMS to be worse when walking on the city streets. Not really too bad on indoor surfaces. Hard not to worry. You're right we are lucky we didn't have problems like others have. I am grateful every day for the surgery.

I hope the weather holds up this fall for your recovery. Come Christmas you will be pretty far into your recovery, come to think of it! That's a happy thought.

Please keep us posted as to your surgery date and how you are doing, okay?
 
Hi peaches, I'm glad you did say something. These pains and weird sensations can be a worry to us. I'm just over the year and a half mark and still have the odd pains. Mostly tightness and little pain in the top of my backside, but sometimes nerve pain down the outer thigh, and even pain that makes me limp (like this morning out walking). But like you I walk much better and am in no pain most of the time. Last time I queried this kind of thing with the Osteo he assured me that if there were problems with the implant the pain would be more severe than what I was experiencing, and by doing a few muscle tests he confirmed what was causing my trouble. I think it's almost time for another visit to him, I've a few more of these pains at the moment. To set your mind at rest you could perhaps visit an Osteo or physio who would be able to confirm it is just muscular or nerve pain. Let us know how you get on.
 
Hi, @octopus ... so sorry for my delay in responding. Thanks so much for writing. How are you doing?? I hope you aren't continuing to have these quirky, worrying pains and if you are, I hope your osteo and whoever else can put your mind at rest.

I am currently not seeing a PT (having seen so many of them to no good result in the past year). If the inner thigh pain on the op side continues, I will contact my surgeon again and see what he thinks.

Hang in there and let us know how you are. Thanks very much for your input. I appreciate it.
 
@Peaches Got a phone call from the OS's secretary and have been given a date - 8th October. Just two weeks notice ! but at least you don't need stinky loo raises and high chairs etc for a knee, so there is not too much preparing to do really. I went away last weekend and did quite a lot of walking up slopes and had this crampy discomfort quite a bit. It does seem activity related and Im sure its muscular.
 
@TeeEm ... wow, it's right around the corner! Less time to fret and worry! Do you plan on putting up a thread on the pre-kneesies side? Let us know. During your recent, and slope-y, walks, was the cramps discomfort in your operated hip side? Or were you talking about your knees. If you meant your hip side, yeah, if it's activity related I guess it's muscular. Who the hell knows with this stuff? How do you get around with your bum knee these days? I'm excited for you getting your appointment and getting the knee fixed sooner rather than later. Nice to know the dreaded Stink-O's services will NOT be needed! Part of the post-op hip anxiety (for those of us who didn't have anterior approach) was worrying about dislocation. Hang in there! I'll keep checking in to see how you are.
 
Hi @Peaches I wasn't going to bother, but yes, I have started a pre-op thread on the knee forum. Yes, I did mean the op side with the cramp. Dragged the trusty old grabbing stick out the garage today. I don't know if i'll need it, but it was very handy following the hip.
 
@TeeEm, I love my grabber 'cause I'm short. If I could invent a lightweight, fold-up grabber to carry in my bag, I'd do it. Grocery stores love to taunt shorties like me by putting good stuff on the very high shelves.

So now my Inner-Thigh Throb on the Op Side has receded. No clue why. Good riddance! Hope that's the end of that (though I doubt it is). Hope yours goes away too.

Now I'll go find your knee thread.......
 
@Peaches Its a real pity you never opened that 'Hips are Us' store. You have some fantastic ideas . Remember the 100 things to do with a stinky loo raise thread ? :rotfl: A fold up grabber is an excellent idea. :idea:I wonder if anyone actually makes them ?
 
Hi @Peaches im please to hear your pain has receded, I hope it has stayed that way! I've had a bit of relief from visiting my Osteo and am going again in a couple of days. Painting the ceilings of my bathrooms hasn't helped, but I'm grateful that I can climb step ladders now!
 
Hi, @octopus ... I've been wondering how you were doing. I'm so glad your osteo's visits have given you some relief. And yes, climbing a ladder is a huge milestone. I remember being afraid to do that and probably talking about it here. When that mid-thigh "twinge thing" cropped up I continued walking but made a point of doing "heel toe" walking (I don't know why; it just cropped up in my mind to do that) and it seemed to help. It's all a big guessing game. I'm impressed you painted your ceilings, as I need to do that. But, yeah, maybe that had its side effects afterward.

I see your tag line says "developmental dysplasia." I have that too. Shallow hip sockets. What about you?
Let us know how you are doing, okay? Take care.

Well, it's now been 1.5 years since the THR!

... almost to the day! So I guess I should give a report, despite the absence of dramatic milestones and achievements. in the usual sense. But I keep thinking that the bonesmart stories should include those of us (me, that is) who are plain-vanilla THR sugery recoveries.... It might help someone.

My goal was not to get back to the gym, since I never went to the gym. And it wasn't to climb mountains, do marathons, etc. I just wanted to get back to everyday living, in an urban area, being able to rejoin and stay in the work force as long as I can, with mass transit, and my feet. Be able to stand in long lines, be on my feet and walking most places, not be afraid of stairs anymore.

The surgery has enabled me to get back to most everything. But not everything. It'd be a fairytale to say I have a completely pain free and hindrance free life, as I imagine it mostly was up until early fifties (when the hip went wonky). But that seems to be more from my bad back (spondylolisthesis--a vertebrae slipped atop another one and impinged the nerve) than the operated hip. So that's the good news.

I actually do wonder if the surgery made the back worse--and I don't exactly know how I think that could be. But I wonder about it. Having said that, I would still have the surgery. It's made a world of difference in being able to walk and function.

I walk much more quickly, am able to scamper quickly when I'm running late to work, and seesaw and zigzag around slower people (people who text while walking). It's nice when you don't have to be hurried like that, but the fact that I can makes me feel so much more normal.

I occasionally, and very very briefly, "run (that is, jog) for a bus that's pulling away."

None of the above is unlimited. I have a shelf life before I start to feel pain. But that's all because of the back and not because of the hip.

I do stairs without any qualms. I have forced myself over time to do steps without holding on to the railing since i'd found myself approaching stairs with a sense of "weakness" (mental and physical) if I didn't hold on to a rail. I wouldn't hold on for dear life, but did feel I "needed" it. I have found that over time (maybe starting two months ago?) I feel a big improvement in balance and strength in doing stairs without rails. It makes me feel more confident. What got me started on this was noticing in old movies that a lot of senior women were doing stairs without holding on, and these women were in heels and were not particularly slim and fit. So I kept thinking if they can do it, it must be a pretty normal thing. And maybe my tendency to semi-freeze unless holding on to rails was more mental and being out of practice than anything else. So I started trying it bit by bit and found at first I couldn't do it too well, but now see a huge improvement. (But no, I'm not wearing heels when I do it. Maybe that'll be another goal some time.)

Like I said, this is not an update of dramatic feats. But I thought it might belong here among all the other recovery stories, in case it resonates with someone else and helps someone in some way.

Thanks again to Bonesmart--moderators and everyone else--for your incredible help and support. I wish everyone well, and will be back. To paraphrase a character in "Brokeback Mountain" ... "I can't quit ya."
 
Hi @Peaches honey - congrats on your 1.5 year anniversary and a great update. It sounds like you have regained the level of activity that suits your lifestyle and in the end this is what we all wish for I believe. :)

I too suffer chronic back issues, so I can relate to your issues. Even at almost 3 years post I have days where my back, L 4, 5 and S1 prevent me doing a great deal, and aggravates my native left hip. However, it has been a issue since my early 20's when I sustained a hairline fracture when nursing... So I reconciled that it would be this way in later years.

Do stay around, I always enjoy your posts x
 
@Peaches congratulations on your great 18 month update.As @Poppet said you have achieved your goal of regaining a level of activity to suit your lifestyle which is a great place to be.Your hip replacement has been a great success.I am so pleased that your balance and confidence have improved so much that you can use steps without holding on.I can do that on the stairs at home but I am sure that I would still need to hold on to the rail using hard concrete steps on the underground.Sorry to hear that your back is still bothering you, it does seem to most of us that if it isn't one thing then it is another.Enjoy those times of being pain free or those low pain days as well as those moments of joy when you can run to catch the bus or overtake those people who are texting and the many other activities that many take for granted but are big deals to us hippies.
 
Hi @Kim22 - lovely to hear from you xx I have been MIA for a few months, struggling with other health issues. Hugs xx
 
Thank you @Poppet and it is lovely to see that you are back and posting again.Sorry to hear that you have been dealing with other health issues and hope that you are feeling better now.
 
@Kim22 - yes, thank you definitely on the road to recovery now. Warmer weather here in OZ is helping immensely - hugs xx
 
@Poppet so glad to hear that.Our weather is still warm 17 degrees today but of course this can't last much longer as winter is just around the corner.Enjoy your spring and summer x
 
Wow @Poppet what a fantastic place?Have you retired to the beach now ?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom