TKR One year later and all is well

I'm glad we're able to help and reassure you, @Minstrel .

If you are starting to forget your crutch, you are probably close to not needing it in the house. But don't give it up yet when you are out of doors.

I graduated from one crutch to a cane/walking stick and kept using that for at least another month. I still kept the cane in my car and used it when I was going to be in a crowd, or when the ground was likely to be wet or slippery.

You should continue to use a walking aid until you can walk naturally with a good gait, and it's always better to use a walking aid than to have a fall.

It sounds like you have the meds under control. I'm glad this is working for you.

Minstrel, you are very early in your recovery. Patience is a virtue. The knee takes up to one year to heal. I'm almost 6 months out and it gets better monthly. Stay positive and see the glass half full!

New question about knee stiffness - My knee continues to feel very stiff, in particular on the outside, or lateral side. At my 6 week check-up last week, I'm remembering that my surgeon said that I had a valgus knee and that he cut my IT band. I'm assuming that he re-attached it after doing whatever he did - sure wish I had had the thought to ask him more specifically about that.

Thing is, when I think about the stiffness in my knee, it seems to be concentrated on that lateral side - the outside where the IT band is located. I really don't feel the stiffness on the medial side of my knee, or through the center of it.

So, I'm wondering if the stiffness I'm feeling is related to muscle repair and if it were not for this, my knee would be a lot less stiff and I would have greater range of motion than I do.

The lateral cartilage in my left knee was surgically removed over 40 years ago as a result of a sports injury. From what I have been able to understand from my research online, this has what has been the cause of the condition which is also known as "knock-kneed".

Any comments?

It's normal for your knee to still feel stiff, and I'm afraid it will feel stiff for some weeks yet.

At only just over 6 weeks from this major surgery, you are bound to feel all sorts of stiffness, aches and pains. They will all fade gradually, but do remember that full recovery takes a year - and you can't do anything to speed that up. Your muscles and tendons will all repair themselves and get used to the new angles they are working with.

Even without any surgery specifically to your tendons, your soft tissues will have been handled and pulled aside. They don't like that and they're going to be upset for quite a while.
Have you seen any pictures of what a knee replacement does to a knee? Have a look at some of these pictures and you'll see why your knee is still not happy.
TKR surgery - WARNING: real life photos

This is not a surgery you can bounce back from in just a few weeks. It's going to take time and all the patience you can muster. But it's going to be worth it in the end.

And Minstrel, if you have the stomach for it, there are live total knee replacements on youtube. I watched one and realized why I had to treat my knee especially gentle. I think everyone having this surgery and their families should watch one.

A much happier camper since adopting the Bonesmart mantras

I have ceased to be concerned about my ROM measurements, accepting instead that ROM will come with time (thanks to the moderators on this forum). Most of my exercise is now done walking outdoors (with my crutches) 2 to 3 times every day. Fresh air and moving have done wonders for my frame of mind. Too, I have noticed improvements in my gait.

I have also come to understand that ROM will come as I engage in more day-to-day activities.

Last night I scared my poor husband when I yelped whle sitting at the dining table. I was able to draw my heel back further than ever before - bending my knee at a greater angle - without pain or discomfort!

Today I defrosted a fridge (lots of back and forth stepping within the kitchen with minimal use of my crutches). And, after one of my walks, I sat in the driver's seat of my standard transmission that has been parked in the driveway for the past 7 weeks, and I can now depress the clutch pedal with ease! Before actually driving, there are plans to practice shifting gears in a big, empty parking lot . . . but with the return of driving privileges comes a return to independence.

So, so thankful for having found this forum. It truly needs to be recommended to all prospective and recovering knee replacement patients.

Wow! What a wonderful post! It sounds as if you're enjoying the freedom of not worrying about ROM and returning to normal life slowly. That's the key, balancing new activity with continued ice/elevation.

:goodpost: :thumb: What an uplifting post you have written! It's nice to see that the Bonesmart way is the right way for you! You are such a good influence for those coming behind you!

And, after one of my walks, I sat in the driver's seat of my standard transmission that has been parked in the driveway for the past 7 weeks, and I can now depress the clutch pedal with ease! Before actually driving, there are plans to practice shifting gears in a big, empty parking lot . . . but with the return of driving privileges comes a return to independence.
I did that, too. I used to sit in our garage with the car engine turned off, and practice moving my feet from one pedal to another. I also practiced doing lots of emergency stops.
When I felt confident hat both my feet could hit the pedals accurately and strongly enough, I tried a short drive down our right-of-way. That went well, and then I drove on a quiet road.

Being able to drive again is great, because it does give you back your independence.

BIG Breakthrough Today - This morning for the first time I was able to lift my operated leg high enough to step properly on the riser while climbing stairs - no swinging my leg around and no leaning way back while hanging on to the railing.

This improvement prompted me to try the driver's seat in my car again - my standard transmission. Lo and behold I was able to operate the clutch properly on a trial run around our block. I could drive! This was huge as I would never operate a vehicle without knowing I had 100% control of it.

So, this afternoon, I drove to a local park for a different place to walk; got a haircut; went to the bank; stopped at the store - it was liberating!

Tomorrow marks 8 weeks since the day of my surgery. The first 5 weeks of my recovery were difficult; the past 3 weeks far less so and I have the discovery of BoneSmart.org to thank for that. I know I am far from fully recovered, and I may well have many difficult days ahead, but now that I am using crutches less often and I can drive again, I know I am going to be okay.

By the way, I met a neighbour today who knows of 3 people needing knee replacement surgery in the next year - I recommended that he advise them to take a look at this site (he actually made note of it).

And, when I was getting my haircut, a nurse who was also getting her hair cut, overheard me talk of my experience with BoneSmart.org and she mentioned that she has always wondered about the harshness of the therapy that is usually recommended for knee replacement patients, so she likewise made note of this site.

Look at us, changing the TKR world, one BS referral at a time. :yes!:

Yay for drivng! It's the milestone I'm most looking forward to.

@Minstrel I'm just past6 weeks and I (and my husband) can't wait for me to be able to drive again! I was thinking maybe in a couple more weeks <fingers crossed>

:driver:BEEP BBEP! I'm glad you are able to drive again. That freedom to just be able to go somewhere on your own is a graat feeling.

Yay!! Independence! I remember that wonderful feeling of driving again. It was a huge step in recovery.

Progress stalled . . . again!

Now 9 weeks post-op and have been measuring my progress by what I am able to do. If I had to guess at what my flexion was, I would say it's about 90. Thing is, that bend in my knee does not appear to have changed for a couple of weeks. I see my surgeon again in 3 weeks and I am getting concerned.

The stiffness in my knee has dissipated, but I don't feel like I have added to my ability to do things for myself in awhile. Still using 1 crutch, still walking downstairs one at a time, still not able to bend my knee as much as I need to.

As much as I have tried to disregard the progress of others at the same stage of their recoveries, it is very hard to learn that they have so much more flexion. And I thought I was 'at peace' with my progress.

You and I sound like kindred spirits! I could have written what you just wrote. Sometimes reading about others progress is very frustrating and I have to take a break from reading the stories.

I'm two weeks behind you. I've come to the realization that I am in the slow learners group, kind of like when I was in high school with those darn math classes :headbang:

But I've never used algebra once in my adult life so this too shall pass! I'm not sure where that analogy came from but it makes me feel better :heehee:

Hang in there with me!!!!!' We will get though this!:thumb:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lizardtails
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom