TKR One year later and all is well

Hi just called in today to see who's still around. My knees are now 5.5 and 2 years old. There seems to be a lot of current Bonesmarties struggling with the P word. PATIENCE. When I was active on Bonesmart I would post this YouTube clip.

 
Thanks for those, Margaret, @Campervan. It's good to hear from you. I'm still using your ROM progression history from time to time, and I often quote "Good things take time."
 
Feeling like I can't do anything

It has been 12 weeks and it seems I can't do anything that will raise my heart rate. I have put quite a few pounds on my frame since my surgery - I really need to move.

So this morning I went to an aquatics fitness class and did what I could which was mostly bending my knee while afloat - nothing strenuous, believe me. I purposely chose the pool over anything in the gym because I already know that even the least bit of exercise on land will result in swelling and stiffness.

I felt fine till about an hour later once I got home. My knee has stiffened right up . . . again! Can't I do anything?

This inability to move is really getting me down.
 
I think that until your knee has healed a lot more you will need to concentrate on upper body exercises.
At this stage of recovery, it is more important not to stress your new knee than it is to get your heart rate up.

I'm sorry, but you're going to need to dig deep into any patience that you can muster.
Try not to think of being kind to your knee as lying around, doing nothing. Instead, think of it as working hard to provide the best possible conditions for your knee to recover well.
Being patient now is a good investment, if you can manage it.
 
You will be able to do things eventually. You have a very baby knee right now that needs lots of tender loving care. When I couldn't do much, and wanted to watch my weight, I just told myself - I have one thing i have control over, and that is what goes in my mouth. :)
Maybe look back and see what things you can do now that you couldn't do a couple weeks ago.
Watch the water, it provides its own resistance that you don't necessarily feel at the moment. Yep, feels good while you're doing it and before you know it you've overdone it - and you may not even overdo it but will still tighten and stiffen up afterwards. Happens to me every time I do anything. This will get better. Hang in there.
 
Being in water is like using weights on your knee. The first time I tried it was at about 4 months. Because of the pain afterwards, I didn't go back for another month! Your knee isn't even 3 months old yet. It's bound to rebel the pool action today.
 
I am four months post bilateral TKR and I can tell you yeah things do get better he just got a hang in there keep doing your work and remember the fine print on those knees say six months to a year.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I go to the pool 3-4 times a week but would never consider an aqua aerobics class! (And I am nearly 5 months) My knee would be very unhappy. I walk up and down the pool, forwards, backwards, sideway, marching. Slow and steady. Some hip exercises and some very slow gentle squats. I find it helps and notice my knees are worse when I don't go.
 
Is there a recumbent bike at the gym? Biking 5-10 minutes at 0 reisitance will help your knee loosen up and you can build up time as you go. Even at a 0 resistance you can raise your heart rate biking.
 
Thank you all for your kind words of support. I have made a concerted effort not to make my knee and my recovery the topics of conversation whenever I encounter someone I know. And yet, there are times when I just need to vent and I think it's best done with others who have been there. So, thank you for lending your ears. It's not making the waiting for my knee to bend go any faster, but it is making it a little easier to tolerate.

Have plans to go kayaking again - once I'm in my boat, my knee becomes inconsequential to others . . . and more importantly, to me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I did some swimming this past week, with my legs propped on a pool noodle and I just used my arms. It felt so good to exert myslef and bc I was just dragging my legs, the knee didn't get angry. I was just in a small resort pool, but I plan to try some real laps soon. They also sell this peanut shaped thing specifically designed to keep your legs floating but not kicking. Maybe you can try that? Bc yeah, it's hard to find any sort of cardio when you can't really work the legs at all without them getting angry.
 
@Celle; @DebM; @Lilli215; @sistersinhim; @Cybil62; @KarriB

Thank you all for your kind words of support. I have made a concerted effort not to make my knee and my recovery the topics of conversation whenever I encounter someone I know. And yet, there are times when I just need to vent and I think it's best done with others who have been there. So, thank you for lending your ears.
Thank you @Minstrel.

While I appreciate your thanks, can I ask you to please not start a post with a list of tags? It makes it difficult for people using mobile devices - all they can see of the post initially is those tags.

This article explains it, and also a better way to tag several people. Thank you.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you
 
Stiffness with icing

Can anyone advise why my knee feels so stiff after icing? I thought icing was supposed to relieve stiffness.
 
Icing relieves pain and helps to reduce swelling, but your knee will feel stiff after being in one position for a while. That's because you're not making the stuff that lubricates it - like putting oil on a sewing machine.
If you can, try moving your knee a little bit, even while you're icing - and you don't have to have it completely straight either.
 
Thanks, Celle. What is the 'stuff' that lubricates my knee?
 
It's a fluid. All our joints have some fluid in them to help them move easily.
 
3 Month Check-up Today

Saw my surgeon this morning 3 months post-op. Gave me a whole new perspective on my recovery.

Pre-surgery my measurements were -23 for extension (that's 23 degrees bent) and 94 for flexion, for a total range of motion of 71 degrees. Today my measurements were -6 and 96 for a total range of motion of 90 degrees. According to my surgeon, patients commonly loose 10 degrees ROM after surgery. In my case, I gained almost 20 degrees of ROM. He considers that my surgery was absolutely successful - he said that he was doing cartwheels (figuratively).

Given these measurements, he said I should be able to do everything and more that I was able to do before my knee replacement.

So, whereas I was focussing on flexion, my gains were primarily in extension. I now stand a lot straighter than I have in decades. My challenge now is to continue to increase my ROM. Advised that I can expect swelling and stiffness but to not allow that to dissuade me from exercising. Given the go-ahead to slowly add more time on the recumbent bike and exercises like leg presses (no weight to begin with). Also told to try using my flippers to flutter kick in the pool to strengthen my quadriceps. Strict instructions to go slowly and to add only 1, or to add to only 1, exercise per day with lots of rest.

This afternoon I went to the gym to use the recumbent bike (advised that this was a good machine to use daily) and then after 15 minutes, I moved to an upright bike. Lo and behold, with the seat high enough, I could do a complete revolution!!!!! I had assumed that I could not ride a bike . . . because my flexion was still so poor. What I did not consider is my total ROM.

It's likely a little while yet before I translate my experience on the upright bike to my own bike on the streets and the trails, but I feel like I'm on my way.

It has been a good day.
 
What wonderful news you got today! Love that ROM! What progress you have made!
 
Riding a recumbent bike was great for my knee. It helped to loosen it quite a bit. Be sure to use 0 resistance for now. Eventually I got a recumbent bike for my house so I could use it without leaving the house after work or in bad weather.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom