Guest viewing is limited

TKR One year later and all is well

So having to have a knee that has been replaced, replaced a second time is a possibility?
Remember that it's only a possibility, not an inevitability. Nowadays, a knee replacement performed by a good surgeon can last 30-40 years.
 
One year+ Post-Op ---- Back to Active

Though I have not contributed to this forum for quite awhile, my hope is that all those TKR patients and/or those considering the surgery, who would describe themselves as very active, may find some comfort and some encouragement by this post.

Yesterday I mounted my bicycle, for the first time in almost 2 years, and rode on a hard-surfaced trail for about 10 kms. The seat post was still a little high for my liking and my left foot was not quite properly positioned on the pedal (beneath the ball of my foot), but I rode, in control, and also mounted and dismounted by myself several times. Lest anyone think this was no big deal, riding my bike again was one of my priority goals and I anticipate riding for greater distance and on more complicated trails (including mountain trails) as more time in the saddle ensues. I might have been able to ride much sooner than now except for the fact that it's winter here for 5 months of the year and I was not ready to cycle outdoors by the time it arrived last fall.

In the past 10 days I have also been on downhill skis for 4 days. During the first day, I limited myself to the "bunny slope", cautiously and progressively regaining the confidence that 45+ years on skis had entrenched in my bones. By the end of the day I was skiing tight "S turns". The most difficult part was getting on and off the chairlift because of the severe knee bend that was required (it was designed to better accommodate beginning skiers, most of whom are children, so the chair is low to the ramps).

On day 4 my husband and I experienced the kind of day that skiers dream about. Soft powder snow was falling steadily and I was confidently "cruisin' the blues' (intermediate runs). We skied successive runs for nearly 4 hours straight before taking a lunch break and then returning to the slopes for another 2 hours. Not only was my technique "textbook skiing", I was challenging several runs from top to bottom without stopping (5-8 minutes of continuous skiing). A video was taken of me parallel skiing through the powder and I can be heard to "whoop" now and again!

Downhill skiing is a great love and an important part of our lifestyle. More than any other activity, this one was my "litmus test" for a successful outcome of my knee replacement surgery. Expert runs that are steep and covered with moguls may now be in my past, but I am so happy to have strapped on my bindings again that I haven't been able to stop smiling!

This past January, my husband and I enjoyed a warm vacation filled with scuba diving, beachcombing, and ziplines. We did not to rent a car, choosing instead to walk almost everywhere we needed to go and daily this amounted to at least 2 hours on our feet walking on gravel roads, in the sand, in underground caves. Stairs to access the launch of a zipline or to re-enter the dive boat from the water were never an issue. Our accommodation was also up a flight of stairs and they were climbed and descended several times daily.

Finally, my job, which requires several hours of walking outdoors on successive days, presented a new challenge this month and last. Due to equipment failures, the team of us who do the job were required to share the remaining equipment which meant that we all had to put in longer days than usual in order to complete the same in the required time frame. Living where we do, we were also coping with excessive ice and snow, as well, making the walking all the more difficult. Nevertheless, by walking for 6 to 7 hours each day, I completed my job before the deadline for both of those months (in fact, in less overall time than I have ever completed my job) . . . and that would be racking up 25 to 30 kms every day, day after day.

As mentioned at the outset of this post, it is aimed at people who are like me - very active and worried that knee replacement surgery would never again allow them to enjoy the physical activities that are so important to their wellbeing. A year ago, there were many, many dark days where I wondered if I would ever bend my knee enough again to be able to go up and down stairs like a normal person. Truth be told, I know I postponed the surgery for several years (a decade would not be an understatement) because of the fear that I would be relegated to the sidelines.

Prior to surgery my priorities post-rehab were to be able to downhill ski, bicycle, kayak, and walk for long distances at a time. Now I realize that my list was too short! Despite the exertion that I undertake in pursuing these activities, my new joint does not impede me, nor does it hurt afterwards. I am proof that with time, and more importantly, patience, it does get better . . . and . . . . . . it's worth it.

I would be remiss if I did not mention how helpful this forum, and particularly, its moderators, were throughout, especially, the early months of my recovery. I am thankful for their firsthand experience that enabled them to understand what I was going through and to guide me when I needed answers. There is little that can substitute for the "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" experience when it seems others just can't understand the turmoil (especially the emotional kind) that TKR patients face.

Anyone in the midst of recovery, or facing the surgery, is well-advised to seek others who have had the surgery, for support and understanding, as not even spouses, with whom you have lived for decades, will truly understand the difficulties with simple tasks, the sleeplessness, the mood swings, the fatigue of a long recovery, the sometimes endless episodes of pain and stiffness, the despair. And that is where this forum is invaluable - the rite of passage here is to have been through the ordeal . . . and that has made all the difference.

When I see my surgeon again on April 5 for my 1 year post-op appointment, I am going to show him that video of me on my skis . . . and then I'm going to give him a great big bear hug!

To the forum moderators - perhaps my lead needs to be changed to reflect how I have 'graduated' from newly post-surgical.
 
@Minstrel
Thank you for the timely words of encouragement. As an 8 month post-TKR individual I too have experienced the ups & downs of getting back to my active life and have found myself wondering about the length of time to heal and get my strength back. It seems I could measure healing in the first 6 months much easier because there were larger milestones achieved; however, these last two months have been very slow in seeing any change which makes me wonder will I ever see the end. But then, as what happened this week-end, I go to the pool, try a couple laps and Yeah! I could swim without any discomfort, unlike the swimming I attempted a couple months ago. I look forward to the, "I don't think about my knees anymore" moments as others have mentioned, and know these small successes are what will get me to that finish line.
 
What a wonderful one-year report, @Minstrel.

I've changed your thread title, to "One year later and all is well". If you'd prefer something different, just let me know and I'll change it for you. :flwrysmile:
 
@Minstrel After reading your one year report I went back to read your entire journey. WOW! I’m very impressed at your recovery and all that you had to surmount to get to regain your activity level and your life back. All the BoneSmarties right there for you encouraging, easing your doubts, and cheering you on I know it helped you as they have countless others, including me. I’ll be 11 weeks post op and could relate to your all the frustrations, fears, grief, etc. Reading all your posts was like watching a movie with a happy ending.

Although my activity goals are not as lofty as yours, I do look forward to a time when I can do simple things like going up and down stairs foot over foot, go on long walks with my husband, taking my granddaughters to a zoo and amusement park and walking the entire time without a wheelchair, getting up from the floor, traveling and sightseeing. It all seems like a distant dream but I’m hopeful that with time and patience I’ll get there.

Thank you for such a wonderful post!
 
What an uplifting report, Minstrel! Your thread was one of those I started reading prior to my surgery and continued reading during my recovery to see what I could expect down the road. It’s great to read you are happy with your knee and doing so well!
 
I’m so happy for you! Thanks for coming back to let us know how you’re doing!
 
I too love skiing and have been skiing on my fake knees for nine and ten years!! Wonderful to read that you are having fun again!!
 
Unable to Register for Joint Replacement Awareness Day

Despite several attempts to do so, I have been unable to register for JRAD. Have even changed my password since getting the message that my username and password were already in use. Have tried logging in first; registering as a newcomer; nothing has resulted in a successful registration yet.

Any hints?
 
Minstrel, if you will send me a PM with your name, address and the email you used to try and register with JRAD, I'll check on your registration and get back to you.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom