Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR One Year Anniversary!

"Pull on tensors" are a knee support made from tensor bandage material. Mine had metal tabs on the side
 
Thank you. I have never heard of them. When I looked them up I see it's the same thing as a compression bandage.
 
My OS did not suggest any compression bandages on my knees and I had none in the hospital.
 
@Breadman, I used to wear a compression knee brace off and on prior to my PKR, but I haven’t found the need to do so ever since. I don’t know if any reason you couldn’t once your incision is healed, some may not like the feeling due to the numb patch bother some folks.
 
Saw the OS today. He asked how I was and I said excellent. He checked out his handy work. He saw me walking in so he just checked my range, no measuring, asked if had any concerns and gave me a very good on the right knee and great on the left. Then said see you in 3 months. Thank you to everyone here for sharing your thoughts and experiences to make my journey easy.:yahoo:
 
@Breadman, fantastic news! Keep up the great work! Staying active is the name of the game right now.
 
Nine weeks have passed and I still have nights where I can't fall asleep. 4am and I am watching more 90s movies. I didn't slept much before but this is bad even for me
 
Try not to stress about it, you’ll get back to sleeping better. I haven’t slept well for years, so for me, I hardly noticed the difference after this surgery. I would just move to another location and read or play words with friends on my phone. And now, I sleep better than I used to before surgery!
 
Have to say what you are dealing with is still normal. I’m at 9 months PO and have bouts, last night was one, but not just because of my knee. As you recover, you will have the occasional sleepless night, but it may actually be triggered by something else going on, something else running through your mind, but the first thing you notice or think about is your knee because it may feel a bit stiff or slightly ache. But that doesn’t mean it’s the reason for being sleepless.
 
Nine weeks have passed and I still have nights where I can't fall asleep. 4am and I am watching more 90s movies. I didn't slept much before but this is bad even for me
:heehee: here i am at 3.45am reading you posts... not having slept a wink tonight @ 17 weeks i think!
 
Hi folks. Things have been pretty good. Walking alot, on stationary bike 2-3 times a day and light weights. Taking it easy. It snowed up here earlier in the week and when I was putting my boots on I heard a loud pop from my right hip. It hurt like hell! 3 days later it's sore on the outside of my hip when I stand or lay down on my back. When I sit it doesn't hurt at all. Anyone else experience anything like that? Btw I still cleared the driveway with the snowblower.
 
Tell me the site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] One Year Anniversary!


"Pull on tensors" are a knee support made from tensor bandage material.
What do they sense?
Right knee seems tight. But they both seem to tighten up when I start moving around
This not being able to fall asleep business is driving me nuts. Nine weeks have passed and I still have nights where I can't fall asleep.
These two things are connected. I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Thanks but can you also answer this question
What do they sense?


Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
[Bonesmart.org] One Year Anniversary!


4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
Hip soreness is pretty much gone. Just very painful at the time.
But I will answer questions re knees.

1. 1 for muscles soreness and 2 when I stand in one spot too long

2. I am not taking anything. If I need something i will take 400 mg ibuprofen.

3. Slight

4. Right 0-110 left 0-120

5. Only icing knee when overworked

6. I try to elevate leg while watching tv. Sometimes feels better just sitting

7. I am doing all daily activities carefully. Have to work more on stairs. Not working yet. I know I can get up and down from the big truck now but I am only going to heal from btkr once and I want to heal right. Its only money

8. I have given up on pt. Wasn't helpful for me. I am randomly doing all original exercises through out the day: heel slides, leg raises, etc. Now I am on stationary bike for 2-3km 3 times a day increasing tension and light weights for quads and hamstring 2 times. Squats through out the day. I think I need to stretch a bit more.

Thank you and all on this forum for all your advice and sharing your experiences:thankyou:.
 
I am randomly doing all original exercises through out the day: heel slides, leg raises, etc. Now I am on stationary bike for 2-3km 3 times a day increasing tension and light weights for quads and hamstring 2 times. Squats through out the day.
I think my question was
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each​
 
Well folks a whole year has past since I received my new equipment and new lease on life. I would first like to thank everyone here for sharing their knowledge and experiences to help in my post-op journey. My decision to have both knees replaced at the time was met with mixed reactions, from your crazy to good for you. It was the best decision ever. I have read many stories here of difficult times healing, pain, and revisions. My story is the opposite. Maybe that's because of the pain I chose to live with before agreeing that I needed to have the surgery. My surgery was a breeze. The hospital stay was good. I went to physio only 4 times. I preferred to do it on my own. The main things I learned here was go slow, don't rush and listen to your body it will tell you when you do too much. I don't remember the pain in my knees before surgery but my daughter tells me that I am diffrrent, happy all the time. Not miserable.
I can work a 12 hour day no problem, climbing up and down my big truck, pushing, pulling, walking for ever. I am still riding the stationary bike and doing weights and stretches for my legs.
The only drawbacks/difficulties I have are 1. the weight I gained hasn't come off and 2. walking down stairs. But it's not my knees stopping me, it's my ankles and hips.
I know we don't all heal the same, but I would still advise people to do both at the same time if they can. And get it done now. Don't wait. It's such a great improvement in the quality of life. And that's what counts.
Thanks to all. Good luck and good healing.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom