THR One year anniversary THR

I’ve done some reading on all 3 options and obviously there are pros and cons to each. I’m going to set up another consult with surgeon for next week. Hopefully my input will count for something but I agree, just want the best outcome. I don’t know what he has in mind yet. Frankly, at 69, I don’t know if dual mobility is right for me, it looks like it’s preferred for younger active patients, and obviously although I love my workouts and golf, that’s not me. I know I’ll have a lot of trouble with partial weight bearing. A bit longer recovery, too. But the dislocation even though rare is scary. We have medical evacuation insurance but can you imagine this happening in Southeast Asia or anyplace not near a major medical center in a large city? I obviously never thought I’d dislocate once, much less twice. Yet here I am. I’m only reading literature from 2020 and after, since the technology and research changes so rapidly.
Update: I had a great meeting yesterday with surgeon. Ultimate choice will be made at surgery but likely a larger femoral head since cup can accommodate it, or possibly a constrained cup. Very very remote possibility for a dual mobility, he knows I don’t want it and I don’t think he wants it either unless it’s absolutely necessary and he doesn’t think it will be. Feeling much less anxious and looking forward to an easy and pain free recovery. Off to do an easy spin class with surgeon’s blessing, light resistance and no standing runs, but a little cardio for mind and body. Surgery next Tuesday.

A little cardio sounds like a good thing, Sohowarrior.
So we'll add March 26th as your surgery date for the revision, unless we hear otherwise.
Take care and have a pleasant day!
@Sohowarrior

Good luck tomorrow, Sohowarrior!
Please let us know how you're doing once you're settled in back home and resting comfortably.
Hope to hear from you soon!
@Sohowarrior

Unfortunately my surgery is postponed without a date, I have some unanticipated medical issues that need to be addressed before I can deal with orthopedic surgery.

I’m so sorry, Sohowarrior. Please know we’re here for support if / when you need us.
@Sohowarrior

Oh my....
l'm sorry for the delay and hope it get sorted quickly @Sohowarrior

Without going into unnecessary detail, I had an abnormal EKG and could not be cleared for surgery. It was a congenital problem but never seen until now, age and blood pressure made it crop up. Problem is now diagnosed and will be taken care of by changing my blood pressure medication. No blockage, no heart surgery, no cancer, all of which were possible. I’m cleared now and will likely have hip done mid April. Very grateful to have a fantastic cardiologist and world class care. I don’t always love living in NYC but having both the means and access to the level of medicine here makes it worthwhile.

Great and comforting news, Sohowarrior! I am happy they ruled out the possibility of something more serious. Let us know when you get it scheduled and we’ll be here to support you. Have a great rest of the week and Happy Easter, if you celebrate!
@Sohowarrior

Thank you. We had a wild ride here since Friday but all good now. Back on my bike in the morning with my doctors blessing. Happy Easter to all of you as well.

I am glad they got issues addressed so you can get that hip on track for 2024.
:) :-) (:

4/17 is the new date, no hassle at all getting scheduled. I feel good, my BP meds were changed. Since I’m not in any pain, going to take advantage of the delay and hit the bike as much as I can, fire up the quads and glutes a bit. Appreciate the good wishes and. grateful this was a small bump in the road.

Oh, wonderful. We will get your signature updated and will be sending all the best mojo your way for a smooth easy surgery and recovery.:SUNsmile:

Glad you're feeling good and have a new date.
Best wishes as you wait out the next couple of weeks.
@Sohowarrior

My two cents after many medical experiences is that unless it is a 911 a second opinion and even third is always worth it. If nothing else it buys peace of mind that you are making an informed decision.

Both my PCP and another OS said I had no choice after two dislocations, another one would be inevitable. I’m obviously not happy about the surgery but I am confident I will have the best of care, and yes, I am going back to my same doctor. I’m comfy with the decision.

Best Wishes tomorrow, Sohowarrior!
Please share an update once you’re back home resting and feeling up to it.
We’ll be here. :)
@Sohowarrior

Wishing you an uneventful surgery and a Smooth recovery @Sohowarrior :elevate:

Thanks all. Heading in shortly, just saw surgeon and 99% he is only changing ball out for a larger one. I hope so, would be easier operation and easier recovery. Going in with zero pain, no walking problems at all, but I have come to terms that I need to have this done. Will report back after drugs wear off. I could probably go home this afternoon but I’m going to play it safe and give my husband one good nights sleep.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back