THR One year anniversary THR

Had my six week x ray and consult today and beyond thrilled to report all restrictions lifted!!! Back to golf, Pilates and spin class! And yes, I will start slowly. Very grateful!

Isn't that the best follow up visit? It's like a rite of passage of sorts.

Glad that you are feeling so well!

Had my six week x ray and consult today and beyond thrilled to report all restrictions lifted!!! Back to golf, Pilates and spin class! And yes, I will start slowly. Very grateful!
Sounds like you are doing great!! Can you share who your surgeon was at HSS? Also, your incision is only 4" with a posterior approach?

My surgeon was Dr Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle. Yes, 4 inches posterior approach, I know because my at home PT used a tape measure. My second choice there would be Dr Jose Rodriguez, know people who went to him and also had seamless recovery. The other surgeon who people love is Dr Mayman but unfortunately he does not take Medicare.

What a nice update after your six week post op visit! Slowly getting back to life and the activities you enjoy. That’s what this is all about. Enjoy and have a great weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Sohowarrior

Thank you. I have found this forum to be quite helpful as well as interesting, I’ll continue to post as I start back into my very active life. I’m well aware that I’ve had a remarkably pain free and rapid recovery, I hope that gives people a reason to be optimistic. If I can offer some non expert advice, it would be to take some time prior to surgery to prepare the body for what lies ahead. Drop some weight if you need to do so. If your condition allows for it, do some lower body strengthening exercises. I definitely underestimated the trauma of the first two weeks but I was able to work through it (without opioids) because I had prepared for several months in advance. I truly believe this was a huge contributing factor and what got me to this point today. And yes, for me the PT was and continues to be helpful, I’m planning on sticking with that for another month and will then reassess.
My left hip is arthritic but nowhere near what I had going on with the right. Don’t know what lies ahead or if I’ll need another THR but I’ll be older and wiser!

Here’s my update today, I’m almost at 8 weeks out, which will be June 5th.
We are fortunate to own a second home outside of NYC where we spend much of spring and summer. We live right off the ocean, we can smell and hear it with our windows open. Today I woke up with the birds (really). Walked the 500 steps to the beach with my coffee, did a quick meditation and actually sat cross legged. A little tight but doable. So was getting up and down off the sand. Not pretty but I had worked on it in PT, and I can do it!
Next: back to the house, 90 minute double class on our spin bike, we are Soul Cycle people.
Next: shower and off to our golf club, where I played 18 holes. Did use a cart, did not walk. I’m crazy but not insane. Best I have been able to play in 18 months. 3 pars in 9 holes. Came home, hot shower. Husband grilled some steaks, opened a good Cabernet. I cannot move, all my muscles are sore, but it’s workout soreness, not osteoarthritis soreness. Exhausted but so thrilled!

Happy Two Month Anniversary! You seem to be doing exceedingly well. I’m sure some may find your rate of recovery intimidating, Understandably, it’s not your intention to make anyone feel that way, you’re only sharing your good fortune. I will add for those healing right along with you, in real time, that your recovery seems to be an exception and not the norm. I’m happy for you. Continue enjoying those early morning beach walks and have a lovely Summer! :SUNsmile:
@Sohowarrior

Happy 8 weeks to me tomorrow. I’m taking Tylenol once or twice a day. Continuing PT to end of June. At that point I move to the beach for 8 glorious weeks! I have some minimal ankle swelling on the operated side, it resolves nightly. Still doing some prescribed exercises like leg lifts, clamshells, toe raises, squats.
Played 18 holes of golf today. 60 minutes on my spin bike tomorrow, then a golf charity event tomorrow, benefiting at risk teens with a focus on suicide prevention. And I am pain free! Hope everyone is well. Happy summer!

To you as well. I am still being careful, of course. I actually do rest, and I’m still icing and elevating. But I do feel as if my pre surgery preparation in terms of diet and exercise really paid off, and what I’d recommend to anyone who is able to embark on whatever kind of program they can manage. That, combined with the skill of my surgeon, is what I think got me to this point of rapid recovery. In any event, I am happy to post a happy story about this boomer and her new hip!

HSS does have quite a bit of info on line, including a portal dedicated to golfers who have had hip and knee replacement. Just found that and sent it to my golf pro.
@Sohowarrior would you be able to post a link? Or describe their recommendations?

I struggled playing for quite a while after my left hip years ago (I'm right handed), and just had my right hip done. Of course my right hip went out shortly after I joined a club, so I'm looking forward to actually using the membership in the fall! (Summer is way too hot for me anyway, so I have time to prepare)

Just google HSS golf portal and you will find it. There’s some discussion about altering your swing but so far I’m not doing that. My biggest issue now is putting some power into my turn. I’ve got to get over the fear of pain and damage to the new joint. But every day is better!

I'm glad to hear your feeling a lot better. I'm still recovering myself from an knee injury I experienced a few months back.

Welcome to BoneSmart, @doglover85.

Please give us some details on your surgery -- which procedure you had, the date and whether it was right or left side -- and we will start a recovery thread for you so you can better participate in the forum.

Three months to the day tomorrow, right posterior THR. I can sit cross legged on the floor to meditate. I can do an almost full split. I do squats every day with 8 pound weights. I can ride my spin bike, I can do most of my pre surgery Pilates. I am playing golf. I’m not a religious person, and I did a lot of very hard work to get here, but I do believe that a higher power watched over me. I never expected a recovery this rapid and this complete, and I will be eternally grateful to my surgeon, the staff at HSS, my visiting PT and my PT Donny Chan at Thrive in NYC.

@Sohowarrior happy 3 month hipaversary! You are definitely doing a lot at this point but as we always say, no two recoveries are the same. You are doing extremely well for so early on, continue to listen to your body.

I can sit cross legged on the floor to meditate. I can do an almost full split. I do squats every day with 8 pound weights. I can ride my spin bike, I can do most of my pre surgery Pilates. I am playing golf.
WHAT?!! You can’t leap tall buildings in a single bound…yet? :wink:
Happy Three Month Anniversary! Enjoy the Summer. :SUNsmile:

Four months out today and all is as good as can be. Sitting on the porch, drinking my coffee, meditated, will do some stretches and then hop on the spin bike for a 45 minute remote class. Playing golf 3 or 4 times a week. Zero pain. Full ROM. I do get an occasional twinge in the non operated hip but it’s minor. When and if it deteriorates, I’ll be ready to deal with it. Had some residual ankle swelling but it’s fully resolved. Even my scar is fading. Honestly, I often forget I had THR, although I’m careful on steps, always use a railing if available.
Thanks again to this forum!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Duffyboy
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom