TKR One week out from surgery

JulesOA

Country
United States United States
Hello,
I had a left TKR on November 2nd, and am now one week post-op. I started my outpatient PT two days ago and will have my second session today. My therapist that I used for several of my surgeries, including my right TKR last year, retired in January, so I have a new (to me) therapist. At my first session, my therapist said that she did not want me pushing too hard for these first two weeks, and that after that, she will start to push me a bit. I loved hearing that from her, because although my last therapist didn’t push too hard at first, she didn’t specifically tell me to go easy and let it heal.

So far, things are going well, pain is bad, but controlled with medication. Sleep is rough, but I am doing what I can to maximize my time asleep when I can. The swelling is pretty bad, and I don’t remember how long the worst of it took to go down last year. I am icing (with compression) and elevating several times a day.

My right knee is doing great, and I am so happy with the results one year out from that surgery. I am looking forward to the future with two good knees, but I need to concentrate on getting this one healed and strong to match the other.

This was such a great place for reference and support last year, I am looking forward to continuing this journey here with all of you wonderful people.

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 55
Welcome back, @JulesOA! It sounds like you know what to expect with this new baby knee of yours. But, I will still leave you our recovery articles to refresh your memory.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these:
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post-op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post-op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome back, @JulesOA!

Happy belated one-year An-Knee-versary for righty, and congratulations on getting leftie done. Since you've been down this road before, you know the drill. Just keep in mind that every knee is different, even two knees in the same person.
Wishing you an easy recovery! :flwrysmile:

Welcome back, @JulesOA! It sounds like you know what to expect with this new baby knee of yours. But, I will still leave you our recovery articles to refresh your memory.

Each person is different as is their recovery. Most find that the Bonesmart approach works best for them, but others find that a more aggressive therapy helps them more. It's your recovery and your choice on how you recover. As you read more on other members' recovery threads, you’ll get a better perspective of what to expect. The following are our basic guidelines and should help get you started.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these:
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post-op therapy

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs

6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post-op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here

Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
Thank you so much! I will review all of this again.

Welcome back, @JulesOA!

Happy belated one-year An-Knee-versary for righty, and congratulations on getting leftie done. Since you've been down this road before, you know the drill. Just keep in mind that every knee is different, even two knees in the same person.
Wishing you an easy recovery! :flwrysmile:
Thank you! I am hoping for a smooth recovery, and am keeping my eyes on how it will feel in about three months from now to keep me positive. It's good to be back again.

Happy One Year Anniversary and welcome back!
We're happy that you found the forum beneficial last year and thank you for joining us once again.
I wish you a smooth and easy recovery. Stay in touch so we're able to follow your progress.
Best Wishes!
@JulesOA

Happy One Year Anniversary and welcome back!
We're happy that you found the forum beneficial last year and thank you for joining us once again.
I wish you a smooth and easy recovery. Stay in touch so we're able to follow your progress.
Best Wishes!
@JulesOA
Thank you! I’m happy to be back on this wonderful forum!

Recovery is going well. I am struggling more with this knee than my right one, but I am trying to not compare them as every knee is different.
I saw my surgeon on Wednesday and he seemed pleased with my results so far. Dressing and Prineo were removed and my incision looks good. PT is going well, and I flexed to 91° yesterday.
Sleeping is rough, and on Monday I will have to perform at work on very little sleep.
Ice & compression are my best friends right now, along with pain meds. I have found that I handle chronic pain much better than post-op pain. But, this too shall pass.
I am keeping my eyes on the future and how good this will be in a couple of months.

Hi Jules,
It sounds like you're doing pretty well overall and holding the future as your focus is wise. It's always reassuring to receive a nod from your surgeon that he's happy with your progress. I hope sleep begins coming easier for you and I wish you the best for work on Monday. Hopefully you get some restorative rest over the weekend and feel refreshed come Monday morning.
Best Wishes for a good weekend!
@JulesOA

Hi Jules,
It sounds like you're doing pretty well overall and holding the future as your focus is wise. It's always reassuring to receive a nod from your surgeon that he's happy with your progress. I hope sleep begins coming easier for you and I wish you the best for work on Monday. Hopefully you get some restorative rest over the weekend and feel refreshed come Monday morning.
Best Wishes for a good weekend!
@JulesOA
Thank you so much! Yes, I am hoping for better sleep soon.

4 week post-op update. I had PT yesterday and it was great. My knee has been improving at a much faster rate now and I am at 114° flex and 0° straightened! My therapist put me on the bike for the first time and I actually was able to pedal “almost” normally. I had to put my foot far forward into the stirrup and would lean very slightly to the right as I brought my knee up. If I put the seat up a notch it probably would have been perfect, but I was ok doing it like this for the first time and I was too giddy to worry about perfection. It was amazing and I pedaled for 5 min.
Sleep has also been improving. I am forcing myself to go to bed earlier and just stay in bed, so even if some of the sleep is on/off and some just dozing a bit, it is way better than not sleeping at all. The pain at night is so much better too, so even the on/off sleep is restful.
I am so happy with the progress so far and do not feel any of the frustration from 2 weeks ago. Patience really pays off.

You seem to be progressing very well. In a way, must be nice to have experienced the process before. I love your proactive attitude and excitement for what the future holds. So much of how we feel is determined by being in the right mindset and staying determined through the ups and downs. You have an endgoal in sight and are getting a little bit closer every day.

Keep it going

:ok:

I did the same thing on the recumbent bike yesterday. I pedaled forward! I was so excited. I also lifted my hip slightly and put my foot forward on the pedal and voila! I’m excited for you. Sound like you are doing fantastic.

Hello Jules,
It sounds like you're making great progress, and you're pleased, so that's a good thing!
I hope you have a lovely Sunday and week.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
@JulesOA

You seem to be progressing very well. In a way, must be nice to have experienced the process before. I love your proactive attitude and excitement for what the future holds. So much of how we feel is determined by being in the right mindset and staying determined through the ups and downs. You have an endgoal in sight and are getting a little bit closer every day.

Keep it going

:ok:
Yes, I think the right mindset is very much a part of success. I was a little worried just before the surgery just remembering how rough those first couple of weeks are, but then just relaxed and told myself that I can’t recover and enjoy a new knee if I don’t get the surgery out of the way. LOL. Thanks so much for your kind words!

I did the same thing on the recumbent bike yesterday. I pedaled forward! I was so excited. I also lifted my hip slightly and put my foot forward on the pedal and voila! I’m excited for you. Sound like you are doing fantastic.
Congratulations on your pedaling success! Isn’t it the greatest? My next feat will be going upstairs foot over foot, although we haven’t done that yet (perhaps this week?). Keep up the great work!!

Hello Jules,
It sounds like you're making great progress, and you're pleased, so that's a good thing!
I hope you have a lovely Sunday and week.
Happy One Month Anniversary!
@JulesOA
Thank you Layla! I hope you have a wonderful week too!

My next feat will be going upstairs foot over foot,
This can take months before you can do it comfortably, so don’t worry if that happens.
Yep, and we didn’t even try that today. One of my happiest times after my first knee was doing great was when I could walk up and down stairs almost “like a normal person”.

Just imagining going up and down stairs without using arms - pretty thrilling! It’s been a long time for me. Right leg started having serious issues about a month before first TKR on left leg. So by the time left leg was ready to walk the right leg was done with it. Hoping I’ll be right behind you going up those stairs!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Salvo12