Guest viewing is limited

TKR One knee done in March; other one in August

Found out by getting a letter in the mail, that my insurance wont pay for it. I thought for sure that is was pre-approved.

Oh yikes. Thanks for mentioning this again; I remember seeing your posting this previously. Because the supplier verified prior to delivery that I have both Medicare and back-up health insurance, and because it all came about via my surgeon's order, I'm assuming it's fully covered for me -- but best not assume! When they pick it up, I'll specifically ask.
 
The CPM machine. The letter stated that it would only pay for it if it were used after a complication or revision. Not for standard use. So that tells me that it isn’t needed at all after a normal TKR.
 
durable medical equipment: wheelchair, walker, cane, tub chair, etc.

Items you can rent or buy and they can be used with multiple patients or surgeries.
 
Thank you for the explanation. Remember, most of us don't know these things.
 
I’m sorry I didn’t clarify. I meant the knee machine that they strap your leg into, at the hospital and at home, that gently bends your knee.
 
Which Durable Medical Equipment supplies are you referring to? Just curious!

@Mutti3, supplying company’s called RestoreMotion. Surgeon’s staff made all arrangements, other than they called to confirm delivery right around when I got home from the hospital and again this week for pick-up time.

And the machine in question is the continuous passive motion (CPM) machine. You strap your leg in, set the degrees of bend, and it does it for you. It plugs in, runs on electricity. At first I was overdoing it and quickly learned to dial back the bending degrees.
 
Last edited:
@Beckadeez, yes, same. And now I’m thinking uh oh. Well, what’s done is done; hope they won’t be billing me a huge amount. I *was* told at the hospital joint replacement class that some surgeons believe in them and others don’t—and that the research doesn’t seem to show they help.
 
Now for something completely different. Reading the other recovery threads, I see something mentioned: "zingers." I'm not sure why I thought this but I was imagining those were something like the electrical stimulations you get with a TENS unit. i.e. not painful. But this evening for the first time, I'm feeling occasional pains in my new knee that are like an ice pick going in. YOW. Just for a few seconds and then it stops. Began with leg elevated but not iced; have since added the ice cuff. Still happening. Is this zingers? If it keeps up like this, I guess I'll take pain med for it (it hurts!), though I'd cut back to bedtime only. Several hours still till bedtime. Anyone know what this is?
 
I had those, too, in varying intensities. Some were just little “pokes”, as if to say, “I’m here” and others were enough to make my leg jerk and yell it’s presence!! :gaah:
 
My hospital didn’t offer a pre-op class. And those sound like zingers. I had a few earlier on but haven’t had any in a long time, thank goodness!
 
My pre op class was required. It was actually pretty good, it was very informative about the hospital stay.

The best thing I got from the class was that they said the new replacement would be strong right away and not to be afraid to put weight on it. The first time I got out of bed I was a bit shaky and the knee felt very weird, but I remembered what they said and I wasn’t afraid of it. :loveshwr:
 
What you are experiencing is the sensation we call "zingers." It's an intense, but brief pain that is usually associated with the healing of your nerves. They come out of the blue as little reminders that you're still healing from your surgery!
 
Sounds like you’re making good progress! That’s excellent!

I had a pre op class. It was really helpful in terms of what to bring to the hospital, and what I needed for home, the stages of healing, and I learned to walk and do stairs before surgery.

I also find PT a good way to get out of the house and into semi regular clothes. I hope it works well for you.

I had the cpm machine in hospital. I have short, chunky legs and finding a comfortable position where it wasn’t pinching me took some work. It was ok. Not great.
 
I am so happy to hear you are doing so well-you were a few days ahead of me and it was great to hear of your progress! I am hoping to be where you are soon!
 
My knee will be 2 years old in June, and I still have mild zingers. They just let me know that there is still some stuff going on it there.
 
Hi all, quick update. Yesterday marked four weeks since my Rt TKR. Started outpatient PT this past week. Initially scores were extension: 5 and flexion: 115. First session was hard; my own overdoing it was to blame. Second time was yesterday and I took it easier.

Lots of rest, icing, elevating, still. Reading a very involving mystery series by Julia Spencer-Fleming, going for short walks, sleeping better.
 
That's very good ROM for so early in recovery. You don't need to work hard at the exercises. Your ROM will improve without that.
 
I got my first couple of zingers last night in bed. Thanks for preparing me!
 
I got my first couple of zingers last night in bed. Thanks for preparing me!
Aren't zingers fun. I would have been very afraid something was wrong if I hadn't read about them on here! It is so nice to have the experience of so many people!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom