Revision THR Once more into the breech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear faithful forum members and fellow revision followers, thank you so much for all your support since my surgery on March 4th, nearly a year ago. The doctors and I have determined that despite all our efforts, this revision has failed. I have a date with a new surgeon in a new hospital in a new state set for April 8th. We're going to take another stab at this which will be my best hope for a good quality of life in the years ahead. Revisions are tough and I have every intension of becoming an example of how successful they can be. @Josephine, should I start a new thread in the pre-opt forum, or just continue this one here? Thanks.
 
Oh just carry on here.

Larry, I'm so sorry to hear this. What's the cause of this failure?
 
Cause of the failure? To a certain extent, that is a matter of conjecture, I suppose. I got a second opinion outside of my HMO as you suggested and he focused more on my status at that time than the cause. His impression was "Aseptic loosening/failed acetabular revision component with massive acetabular osteolysis and possibly pelvic discontinuity, but no sign of infection." I've looked at all the x-rays before and right after the surgery as well as during the months of "recovery". Clearly, a fracture in the roof of the acetabulum occurred during the surgery probably due to a little bit of over aggressive reaming. Rather than healing, that fracture got worse as time progressed and I can see an elevation of the entire cup which I guess is a result of the joint not being strong enough to carry my weight. My new surgeon, Dr. Curtis Kiest, sounds very experienced and confident that he can achieve a better result this time around.
 
Hi All. Tuesday marks my one-year anniversary since my revision surgery. So far, things haven't gone as I hoped. I like reading positive revision stories on BoneSmart which help me keep a positive attitude. My next surgery is scheduled for April 9th, so I have just about 5 weeks to go enduring this pain. I'm flying from Hawaii to California this time in the hope of getting the most experienced surgeon possible for this repair attempt. That would be Dr. Curtis Kiest at Kaiser Permanente in San Francisco. Does anybody know anything about him? During my telephone consult, he spoke of repairing my fractured acetabulum using "metal foam" which he described as sort of like orange or lemon slices of varying sizes to reinforce the lost bone in my pelvis before reattaching the acetabular cup which is now loose. He said the metal foam is rigid, not flexible, and made to encourage the ingrowth of bone during the healing process. Do any of us BoneSmart members have any experience with these materials?

Recovering from major surgery in a hotel room isn't ideal, but getting an experienced surgeon is my first priority. I'll let everybody know how it goes. I want to become a beacon of encouragement for those of us with bad outcomes not to lose faith in our eventual healing. Dr. Kiest told me 2015 would be a better year and I believe him.
 
Thank you for posting this thread and for updating us. I sincerely hope that you have a wonderful result from this last (I hope it's the last!!) surgery. Please do come back to let us know. Good luck
 
I hope the rest of 2014 is a better year, too. I wish you the very best, and it sounds like you've got a good surgeon. I'm sure you are a beacon of encouragement to those with bad outcomes, as well as an example of mature handling of adversity----grace under pressure. My hat is off to you.
 
Hi @LarryG I hope this revision goes well for you.
My first THR is two days after you , on April 10. Right now I am a bit scared.....
All the best to you this time!
 
Hi @LarryG This is my first total hip replacement coming up on April 10. I'm in a bit of a panic with yucky thoughts.
I know I need to talk myself into a positive state of mind at all times.
I feel for you with having revision coming up.
 
@MajorHeidi,
It's normal to feel anxious. Surgery is scary and nothing about the process is pleasant. Most people don't elect to have a THR unless they are experiencing a lot of discomfort. Afterwards though, the vast majority recover well and lead much more active lives and only regret that they waited so long. That was certainly my experience with my first left, and then right, THR. I'm sure reading about people's good outcomes here on BoneSmart will help. Let us know how you're doing before and after the operation. I know the people on this forum will want to help you any way then can.
 
Tomorrow, my long journey towards recovery ends and a new one begins. Revisions are tough and chancy and this one just didn't heal. The surgeons in Hawaii are good but the state just doesn't have anybody with the kind of extensive experience with complicated revisions like the one I need. My wife and are in San Francisco for a month and we have placed our future in the hands of Dr. Curtis Kiest. It's a roll-of-the -dice But Dr. Kiest sounds confident that he can repair me as he has done for other patients with serious complications.
I think we all feel similar emotions on the day before hip replacement surgery. I've done all I can to get the best possible outcome. Thank you to all the Bonesmart members who have supported me so far. I am ready for tomorrow. Wish me luck.
 
@LarryG ALL the BEST to you tomorrow on your revision.
You sound positive, which is so very helpful.
I hope your revision goes smoothly, and you are off on your recovery!
Wish me luck for my THR Thursday! :SUNsmile:
 
Larry, my thoughts will be with you the next few days, wishing you the easiest and most complete recovery ever. @MajorHeidi, all the best to you, as well. The worst part is the waiting, and that's almost done.
 
Good luck @LarryG.....wishing you all the best for your revision and recovery...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I was expecting yesterday to be a big day in my life and it did not disappoint. The surgery lasted 5 hours. Due to the fractured acetabulum and excessive bone loss around that area of my pelvis, the surgeon needed to reinforce the "base" for the acetabular cup. He used metal augments which he described as rigid metal foam. He fixed these augments with 10 screws. A couple of these were very long. He said bone will grow into this metal eventually as I heal. Once this firm "footing" was in place, he glued the actual acetabular cup to it. The 20-year-old femur was still solid.

So how do I feel one day out from this surgery? I was able to get in and out of bed and walk carefully with crutches. I'm taking IV narcotics plus oral 10 milligrams of oxyCODONE every 4 hours. I'm also taking 50 mg of Tramadol as needed as well as Celebrex. I'm comfortable and looking forward to weening myself from these heavy pain meds forever.

The people caring for me in the hospital couldn't"t be nicer. My wonderful wife, Mimi, cautions me against falling in love with these beautiful nurses caring for me in my present intoxicated state. Who wouldn't?

Fellow Bonesmart member @MajorHeidi is having her surgery today. I'm sending her all my best wishes and encouragement. Pay it forward.
 
So glad you are doing do well and that you are being well looked after @LarryG...hoping this is just the start of a great recovery ....x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Good luck Larry hope everything is going well for you and you have a good recovery
 
It's 5 days since my 5 hour revision surgery and I couldn't be more excited. I'm recovering in a hotel room and getting better every day. There's no swelling in my leg or feet and my pain is very well controlled. The doctors have me on Celebrex two times daily plus oxyCODONE every 4 hours as needed for pain. But my pain seems very minor. My surgeon made it clear that he wants me to keep weight on the leg to less than 40 pounds by using crutches for 6 to 12 weeks. That's going to take self discipline as the pain keeps dropping because it already feels very solid. I'll do it though because I don't want to do this hip over a third time.
So those of us with yellow banners indicating revisions, take heart. I know it's early yet, but I feel a really good possibility of finally getting a good outcome.
 
I am absolutely thrilled for you! Please continue to keep us posted as you recover.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom