TKR On the road to recovery finally.

An update almost 11 months out.

In February after seeing my surgeon again for follow up, I complained about level 7-8 in the back of my knee. He informed me that he didn't touch the back of my knee during surgery and my lack of bend was due to my not working hard enough in PT, my replacement was fine and he didn't do anything wrong. This after PT had me back off because they thought I was working too hard. Not once did I ever insinuate something was wrong with the replacement, something was just wrong. So his comment was out of line.

In March I went back to my GP (VA care) and asked for an MRI. The MRI didn't happen until end of May and didn't work due to the distortion of of the images due to the hardware. I requested an ultrasound. In the meantime I went to another Orthopedic doctor (small town which is important to this whole fiasco). In the first visit in June, on my own insurance because the VA takes a long time to get things done, the doctor talked about arthroscopic surgery to release scar tissue as first course but he would not go into the back of the knee but could possibly look in sideways. I asked about the ultrasound and he discounted it, said he would not do it. A couple weeks later the first of July, the VA authorized this doctor but I had to go back again for an on the record consultation. Things went south fast at the second appointment.

When he walked in he was very condescending. I told him I could agree to his plan but my concern was the pain in the back of my knee. I could barely walk and my hip pain was increasing due to my gait. I explained again as I had at the first visit, that after the surgery and after the MUA the pain was so great when my leg was straight that it was a level 10 and I couldn't sustain that. I iced it but it didn't help. I had to have a slight bend to relieve it and now I can't get my leg straight. With PT once I hit about 90 degrees, the pain in the back of my knee climbed to terrible levels the more I pushed it. It felt like something was being pinched and crushed in there.

My lower leg and foot swell to twice the size of my other foot and my knee becomes rock hard. I asked him about a possible Baker's cyst because the symptoms fit. I told him I did not have pain in the front of my knee, that was healed and it was only in the back. He said he would not touch a baker's cyst, it would only come back and I quote, "So you have pain in the back at your knee. I told you what my plan is and if you don't like it, go ask someone else." His tone and manner was the worst I've ever seen. I realized he had talked to the first doctor.

Finally last week the VA came though with an ultrasound. The VA called me the same day with the results which is unheard of. It usually takes weeks for answers. I am being referred to a specialist because the ultrasound found a mass in the back of my knee of a large size, "not typical Baker's Cyst" and Malignancy must be ruled out due to size". It is a solid mass and not fluid filled. I cried. Not because of the word Malignancy, but because after all this time, I'm not crazy, I'm not lazy and I haven't, all of a sudden, for the first time in my life, become someone who just complains.

My life is not the same. It's very reduced due to my inability to walk. If this is it going forward, fine but tell me why and treat me with dignity in the process. Maybe I can now get some real answers.
 
Oh my goodness, what you had to go through to finally get someone to listen to you! Thank God that the mass was found and you can deal with that now. When will you see the specialist? Soon, I pray. Please keep coming back and let us help you through this. We care!!
 
I'm so sorry for what is all too common, the complete disregard of our very real concerns. It's indeed a relief to finally have the needed diagnostic test and objective validation!!!! Sending a ((hug)) and the hope the mass is easily dealt with. We're with you.
 
How awful for you. But I'm very thankful that you hung in there to keep pursuing the problem. Hopefully the mass can be dealt with and you can be back on the road to recovery.
 
@JJT oh you poor love … it is hard to believe that their are such awful
Surgeons out there but they are there indeed. I recall being told by a hip surgeon in the U.K. I. 2007 “don’t bother coming back to see me unless you are crawling into this office on your hands and knees, you’re too young for me to do anything to help you” I found a new surgeon shortly after who believed in quality of life.
I’m so sorry .. I really hope that they find out what this issue is behind your knee. With my very best wishes and a hug …. :console2:
 
@JJT I am so sorry you had to go through this. This happens way more than should be allowed.
Thankfully you knew how to advocate for yourself and am glad you told your story here. It will help others to know to stay focused and get the care they deserve.
I am adding my hug to the queue and wish you the best as you go forward.
 
I am sorry for all you've endured while trying to get to the origin of your pain. Thankfully you are finally getting the attention you need and deserve. Wishing you the best possible outcome.
Please stay in touch, we're here for support always. Sending love and a hug. :console2:
@JJT
 
Oh geez! I’m so sorry about all this but I’m glad it’s not “just you”. Keep us posted. The two surgeons can pound sand.

Marie
 
A year and 5 months out. The VA is so slow. I was finally approved to go to Vanderbilt University and since November 2023 have had a series of workups to rule out infection, implant issues and cancer. Negative on all three. I saw two surgeons during this time and on 2/14, had arthroscopic surgery to explore issues. From what I understand, scar tissue was present in my knee at the time of replacement and was being crushed in the implant and reinjured every time I was attempting to bend which created additional scar tissue. The pain in the back of my knee at the time of the TRKR never disappeared. I woke up from surgery Wednesday and my leg was straight and I was pain free. The doctor had me at 125 plus/0 in surgery which is far greater than the first MUA at 115/10. The massive swelling from my knee to my toes is finally gone.

In PT yesterday I went from 80/10 pre-surgery to 95/6 with no force from the therapist. I won't allow them to push on my knee. I have a CPM machine at home and last night managed a comfortable stretch to 112. I wanted to go for 115 but it's early in the game and I don't want to push too fast. I'm icing, stretching and finally walking normally assisted by a cane only because the pain medication makes me a bit off balance. I finally have hope that I have my life back.
 
@JJT Great update! So glad you are finally seeing positive results. Yes, please don't push that knee. It has suffered more trauma. Sounds like you are on track for getting back to active living again!
 
I finally have hope that I have my life back.
This is so very good to read. You have waited so long for this and it is sounding very positive.
Slow and steady will do you well. As you already know.
So happy for you!
 
I'm glad you finally got answers and don't have pain. I went for years, saw multiple doctors, and had to travel to get answers. Amazing how much better things feel when things finally get fixed! All it takes is one doctor who listens and knows what to do. Just wish it wasn't a whole ordeal to find a good doctor.
 
@JJT
I you would like your thread title updated, just post what you would like here and a moderator will change the title for you.
 
What good news!!!!
 
Thank you for the great support. My knee is stiff today and my muscles are screaming. The difference is I know it's the muscles and I am more than okay with that. I have a very black bruise on my thigh that is the size of a salad plate. PT check it out and it's fine and has softened quite a bit since yesterday.

I've iced, worked out a little with straightening and bending and being very mindful of actually walking the way I should instead of trying to avoid the pain. What a difference. I know patience is the key.

I only needed one pain pill today when I first woke up but hadn't had anything since last night. I will take it when I need it and will take it before PT. I'm scheduled twice a week on Monday and Thursdays. I'm on a schedule for exercises in between but will go at my own pace. I did not do three sessions of the same things today but mixed them up so that I could get the benefit of each without causing undue stress in any one area. I am full forward rotation on the recumbent bike and 108 CPM. My doctor said I would progress forward and backwards and not to stress. Just let it happen. What a difference from before!!!

My title can change to On the road to recovery finally. Seems fitting. :loll:
 
Hello JJT,
Thanks for the update! Take it slow and easy. It is such early days for you. You’re right, patience is key.
I only needed one pain pill today when I first woke up but hadn't had anything since last night. I will take it when I need it and will take it before PT.
We advise against taking pain meds before PT because it can dull your body's ability to signal pain which may result in more swelling and pain afterwards. Something to think about…:)

I hope you have a nice Sunday and wish you the best on your healing journey!
 
Second PT visit today. 109 passive bend. 6 straightening. (I did not take pain medication before going) My instructions are to work only on straightening until Thursday's PT appointment. Absolute record for me. Highest previously was 95 and that was really pushing it and couldn't keep it. It was like starting over each time I went. Straightening was always 12.

My muscles in the top of my thigh and calf are just screaming and have been since yesterday. PT said to use a compression bandage on my thigh for short stents to give me pain relief. Heat for both the thigh and calf but not the knee. Elevate often and stay calm and positive about the recovery. My kneecap has had restricted movement since the accident and had been much more restricted since the TKR. I can now tap it and hear it hitting the implant. My husband asked me if I knew Morse Code. He could hear it. That is a very sweet sound right now. I think I'm going to do okay this time.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom