THR On the Other Side

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well and your right hip isn’t hindering you’re progress excessively.
Have a wonderful weekend. Stay in touch, we’re here for you! :SUNsmile:
@Polarbear1965
 
3 days post-op on my left THR.
Everything seems to be going well.
Still on crutches…Is that normal?
I’m still using a walker some of the time and I I’m at 8 weeks. Not normal for most but each case is different.
Yes, every person is going to have a different recovery experience. I tend to push myself, but I’m only 56 years old, so I’m sure that my age gives me some advantages to healing.
Just continue making progress at your own rate. Listen to your body…Happy healing.
 
3 days post-op on my left THR.
Everything seems to be going well.
Still on crutches…Is that normal?
I’m still using a walker some of the time and I I’m at 8 weeks. Not normal for most but each case is different.
Yes, every person is going to have a different recovery experience. I tend to push myself, but I’m only 56 years old, so I’m sure that my age gives me some advantages to healing.
Just continue making progress at your own rate. Listen to your body…Happy healing.
We are close to the same age. I’m a 54 year old man, not overweight and I’m physically fit and very active. A lot of it probably has to do with the surgeon. I was blindsided, I had several people I know saying it was a real quick recovery and was even told so by the hospital staff that gave the joint replacement class and the surgeon. The surgeon did say the joint was extremely tight and had to have some scar tissue removed but they still had to get rough to get it out. Also PT is painful and that doesn’t help, I’m about done with PT and imagine I’ll improve at a quicker rate after I have more control of my exercise. I noticed after I responded to this post that it was several weeks ago. Are you up and walking pain free now?
 
Well my other hip needs replaced., so I wouldn’t say I’m walking pain free, but the newly replaced hip is pain free and feels solid.
I did walk through the grocery store the other day without crutches, but that other hip continues to make me limp.
 
Update: Almost 10 weeks post-op on total posterior left hip replacement. Doing very well. No more pain or discomfort in new left hip, muscles getting stronger and scar is becoming less apparent…I have right hip replacement scheduled for 4/20/22. Hoping I have the same outcome on the right side as I have had on the left…
Having another bad hip to compare with the new one is like night and day, and I’m looking forward to having the other one done too…
New hip wants to go climb mountains, while other hip still screaming for pain meds..
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well. Getting close to replacing, Righty, I see. Only a little over three weeks to go. I hope you’ll share your journey with us. We’d love to follow your progress. Wishing you comfort as you wait.
@Polarbear1965
 
Hello and Happy Tuesday to you!
Wishing you all the best with your surgery tomorrow. We’ll be ready to cheer you on as you begin your recovery. Will look forward to an update once you’re feeling up to it. See you then. :wave:
@Polarbear1965
 
@Polarbear1965 wishing you the best on your surgery tomorrow. Hope it's fairly quick, uneventful and you're back to your room resting comfortably before you know it!
 
Hello All…,Everything went well with my second hip surgery. I’m sore and a bit bruised as expected, but doing very good.
I now have 2 artificial knees and 2 artificial hips, and I feel so relieved and happy to have it all behind me now that I’m releasing massive amounts of stress in the form of sleep…lol. I haven’t done this before post-op, but I’ve just been sleeping a lot the last 3 days., and it feels good…lol
Using less pain meds and taking in fewer calories as well…
I guess a Physical Therapy person is coming to my residence tomorrow morning, so it will be interesting to get an outside evaluation on how I am doing…
The way I am feeling is maybe 4 weeks and I’ll be about ready to start looking for work…I haven’t worked since 2014 because of all this ****, so I’m looking forward to that again…
Hope the rest of you are doing well also.
Later…
 
Sounds like your doing great. Wow, 4 replacements thats something, I think I’ll be joining you soon. Getting my 3rd next week and having an X-ray soon to see the left hip’s condition. Happy to hear you have it all behind you and you have so much to look forward to. Prayers for a quick recovery.
 
Congratulations @Polarbear1965 . Wow, 4 replacements, that is a lot of surgery, truly bionic. I think there is a thread on here for the 4-square folk.

I hope this recovery goes brilliantly, and you can finally live the life you deserve.
 
:wave: @Polarbear1965
So glad to see you on your thread and that you're been able to get some restorative sleep!:sleep:

Regarding the thread Klassy mentioned ....We do have such a place. It's here:
Four Replacements Club

If you can let us know the date of your other knee replacement (maybe month, year) we can add it to your signature.

I do hope this recovery is smooth, but we always caution about not comparing recoveries, even your own.

I'm sure you are happy at the prospect of being able to get back to life and work...but you have been through alot so try to give yourself as much time as you can.

I know you have just gone through this...but I will leave you the Recovery Guidelines below for a refresher.
 
Last edited:
Here you are...

Just keep in mind all people are different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort​
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this ​

6. Access to these pages on the website​
​
​


BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom