Revision THR On the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have also been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease in L3 and L4. I am finding it difficult to get a balance to satisfy all areas.
We are twins, I have DDD in L3/L4 too. Ask your GP to refer you to a PT who specialises in lower back issues. You do indeed need a bit more support as your back is affected by that LTHR. I also worked with an osteopath post LTHR as my back was really complaining. It really did help!
 
Thank you. I have a really good Pilates teacher who I have worked with for the last three years. I will give her a ring as I'm sure there are core exercises I can do from a chair to help support everything. The difficulty with having complex issues is that it is tricky not to create pain in the other areas while the latest surgery is healing. Even the basic everyday tasks such as dressing and getting about the house is a challenge. I have a follow up appointment in another couple of weeks (at 8 weeks post op) so it will be reassuring to see the surgeon again. The thing is with these operations there are no text book recoveries - it's very individual. For some it seems straightforward, for others it can be a longer bumpy journey but we all need to hang on in there.:)
 
I'm sure there are core exercises I can do from a chair to help support everything.
Pilates is great for core stability. Be sure and highlight your THR as there are just a couple of movements that may be risky especially early out.
The difficulty with having complex issues is that it is tricky not to create pain in the other areas while the latest surgery is healing.
I hear you! Recovery for those of us with complex issues is never straight forward. Although I have to admit recovery the second time around (post RTHR) was much easier.
The thing is with these operations there are no text book recoveries - it's very individual.
I can't agree more. As I continually say to members, literally every THR is different - even on the same person!

Your surgeon may refer you for PT - can't hurt to ask.
 
I am 9 weeks post revision L THR. Doing OK. Still on crutches when I go out and sticks in the house. Seems to be taking longer to recover this time but only had right hip revised last January and also have a back problem.
At the moment I am getting shooting pains in my hip and down my leg and it seems like I can feel every cut of the scalpel. I wondered if this is due to the nerves healing? This pain has increased since I have been trying to put more weight through the leg. Having to take regular pain meds again having only needed night pain relief (20mg Amitriptyline and 2 Paracetamol) and the odd couple of Paracetamol in the day. Eight week post op with surgeon was OK. Anybody got any thoughts? Thanks
 
I have plenty of thoughts! First, it's not the nerves healing. You said it yourself "I can feel every cut of the scalpel". That's it, you see - it's the incision deep inside that's hurting. And why is it hurting? Because you're not taking sufficient pain meds. To start with, amitriptyline is not a pain killer, it merely calms down the nerves and changes the way pain signals are interpreted by the brain. Taking only 2 paracetamol at night and an 'odd couple' during the day is totally inadequate.

Don't you have any prescription pain meds like codeine or Tramadol? You should be taking them - as prescribed - for another 2-3 weeks at least. Or, you could take 2 paracetamol 4 times a day, last one just before bed with a codeine and amitriptyline at night. Also take your meds on a regular schedule which means one dose is due during the night. Set your alarm if you have to but take them at regular 6hrly intervals.

Are you doing any exercises?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom