THR On the other side, but STILL asking you all questions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, but I'll use a spoiler so people who don't want to look needn't! :heehee:

The drain tube is about 18" long and comes attached to a large sharp needle which is pushed thought the muscles and out of the skin where it is cut off. The tubing still in the wound is placed around inside the wound, into any space in the muscles where blood might accumulate. So it usually is around 12" of tubing in there at least !
 
@Josephine Cool . . . . . I think. I wish I would have known before to see if I could feel that - but I guess I couldn't . . . better than draining my nose or bladder like I thought! How do I ask for clarification of what I'm imagining without TMI?
 
I am 3.5 weeks through wearing them now- I can do it..!!

Everyone- at this stage could you technically sleep on your side/ were you allowed to? I'm finding it hard to lie on my back but advice from where I had surgery (UK) conflicts with advice here (Singapore). In fact in conflicts on everything which is stressing me out!!

Also- could you lift your leg ('bad' leg) onto the bed? I need to use my hands to help me at this stage and the new Physio here actually laughed at me.... He said I shouldn't lift it it's 'lazy', but I really can't get it high enough without lifting. My muscles are extremely weak and out of balance from the mess that was pre op walking.
Thanks AGAIN everyone x.


THR 'Mini hip' Right, due to developmental hip dysplasia.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks Josephine and Me2 for the answers and descriptions- only just saw them for some reason!

I definitely knew what they were draining as they re-infused it!! Maybe that's why I felt queasy!


THR 'Mini hip' Right, due to developmental hip dysplasia.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I've been told I can sleep on my operate side any time I like - but it's too painful - or my non-operated side providing I keep a large cushion between my legs that stops my operated leg from falling lower than the other one. I haven't been able to get comfy like that yet. I'm not exactly comfy on my back either, mind you...! :yawn:

I can lift my leg onto the bed, but I know a lot of people can't. I would suggest trying though, because there are several other leg exercises that I couldn't do at all 5 days ago that I can already do quite easily now... It sort of feels like the poor old neglected muscles got 'switched on' somehow and suddenly remembered what they were supposed to do! It's got to be worth a try... :)
 
at this stage could you technically sleep on your side/ were you allowed to? I'm finding it hard to lie on my back
Most likely that's because you have pain which is quite usual at 4½weeks. What pain meds re you taking, how much and how often?
could you lift your leg ('bad' leg) onto the bed?
Not uncommon for that to happen. And ignore your PT accusing you of being lazy! It comes back when it comes back. In the meantime, use a leg lifter

[Bonesmart.org] On the other side, but STILL asking you all questions!!


My muscles are extremely weak
Your muscles are not weak they are injured! BIG difference! That's why we rabbit on so much about rest and all that. Take it easy and let things heal. 4½ weeks is still very early days.
 
@AbiHips I used the curved end of a cane under the arch of my foot as a leg lifter. Worked great! I couldn't lift my operated leg at all by myself at first. By Day 7 I was lifting with the cane and by about Day 14 I could maintain the lift on my own while rolling back onto the bed from a sitting position. Each day it gets a bit stronger, but give it the support it needs as you go along - partly just to take stress off the incision.


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom