Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Oliver7598’s Bilateral TKR

Well done on a stellar recovery @Oliver7598 ! Tons of patience and persistence pays off. Enjoy those new knees!
 
I have on going low grade pain in both knees 9 months post BLTKR. It doesn’t really hurt to move my knees except after they sit bent for awhile. Anybody have any similar experiences. Clay
 
Yep, this is a normal occurrence. Remember, you are still not completely healed. At your stage, many do complain that moving the knees after being straight or bent for a while it'll be painful until the pain walks out.

You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as it's best if members in recovery only have one thread. We find it much easier for everyone.
This is because:
  • That way, you have all your information in one place. This makes it easier for others to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you start new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. We won't miss your new question as, between us, the staff read all new posts each day.
If you need an urgent response to a question, tag a member of staff.
Tagging other members and answering tags

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts?

A helpful hint - Many members have found it useful to bookmark their thread so they don't lose it.
 
have on going low grade pain in both knees 9 months post BLTKR. It doesn’t really hurt to move my knees except after they sit bent for awhile. Anybody have any similar experiences
My PKR is about the same age as your implants.
My knee doesn't really hurt now but it can still get a bit tight and sore at times by evening.
Sitting in one position can irritate my knee. For example a theatre seat with poor leg room or a long car journey. Walking is fine- up to 4 miles so far. Not tried further in one stretch.
I have a rocking stool ( left over from my daughter nursing her baby) and it is really great for resting my leg on while watching TV.
 
I decided that if I was going to get TKR I would do them both at the same time to go thru the hell only once. It was a little rough getting around for the first 3-4 weeks but not having a "good" leg meant not favoring one or the other. We have been playing golf (with a cart) for the last couple weeks with no pain. Also been walking/hiking in the south of Portugal on the cliff trails. Wonderful. Tiring, Again, my only issues is going down stairs
Hi @Oliver7598,

Your progress is encouraging. I'm looking at doing a bilateral TKR in October and my reasoning is that same as yours, let's go through this one time only and get it done. I have a question for you though if you don't mind. How did you get around initially post op? Did you use crutches? The reason I'm asking is that I have an arthritic wrist and was wondering how well it will tolerate using regular crutches post op.

Thanks!
 
This is for @Hey Joe : you might ask your team about Canada or forearm crutches (same item, different names) which distribute weight along the bent forearm, very likely reducing wrist strain.
 
Appreciate your reply! Yes I suppose I could use those if necessary. I have experience with regular crutches and would prefer to use them if I can.
 
Ok, I am 13 months out from BTKR. both Knees still have low grade pain just sitting around kinda in front of the knee cap. They hurt on both sides getting up from a sitting position along the outside of the knee caps. I have lots of friends with BLKR and none of them have these pains. The surgeon took X-rays at one year out and was proud of his work. But they still bother me. Anybody got thoughts.
 
I have lots of friends with BLKR and none of them have these pains.
The difference is your friends' knees are their knees and your knees are different from theirs. This surgery is different for each person because each knee is different. You shouldn't compare your recovery with anyone else's. I know it's very hard not to do but doing so just makes us worry if we don't heal as fast as they do.

I still had pain off and on after a year and I had only one replaced. Your body had to do a double healing at the same time and it's taking the time it needs to do so. Please don't worry. If you start to get much worse, then please contact your doctor.
 
I'm approaching11 months out on my first knee. It still doesn't like to sit for long and aches on rising... but it's perfectly functional, stable, and likes walking. Is yours otherwise doing ok.
 
Back
Top Bottom