THR Officially a Hippie - LTHR on July 31

If the benefit of Tylenol is to help mask pain, I'm thinking I am better off at this point not taking any and saving the Tylenol if the pain increases.
I rather think you are confusing one with the other. "masked pain" is no different to actual pain. How pain meds work is to affect the sensory (pain carrying) nerves so the brain doesn't get the pain signal. Then it's as if you don't have that pain at all.
My main complaint is stiffness in the thigh / incision area, but no real dull or throbbing pain.
But do also remember that stiffness, dull or throbbing pain are all the same. Those and soreness, burning, stabbing, aching and swelling. All pain. So just take a couple of Tylenol (regular or extra strength) and be comfortable. "Saving them" for worse times doesn't figure.

My main complaint is stiffness in the thigh / incision area
The trick is to stay ahead of any pain at this point. At only 3 weeks out your body is still in big time healing mode. Take the Tylenol so that you can continue to increase your mobility.

Looks like my 'Life of Riley' is ending. I will return to work next Monday, Aug 28. My total recovery for the new left hip has just been 4 weeks as of next Monday. My OS recommended two weeks part time which my 'Short Term Disability' claim approved and will offset with any missing hours for pay. Considering I have been away from work since June 8 I am looking forward to the return. My left hip recovery is damn near a miracle. I went up some stairs today and honestly believe the left hip is stronger than my new right hip which is 7 weeks older.

The one lesson I had to relearn on the new left hip is to not measure progress in terms of days, but in terms of weeks. Even with the rapid recovery on the left hip, I would have a stretch of good days, then a day when I felt I was going backwards. However, when I looked back just a week I could see how much progress I had made. So one day at a time doesn't always work, but for me at least one week at a time gave me a sense of progress.

This post is longer than I intended, but it's sort of how I record the recovery to myself.

Good luck with your return to work!
My OS recommended two weeks part time
Well done - a phased return allows you to ease into the work routine and address any energy drain along the way.

Let us know how it goes.

The one lesson I had to relearn on the new left hip is to not measure progress in terms of days, but in terms of weeks.

I have learned to measure my progress in months, not weeks! You are doing well so far, it sounds like. I know what you mean about working. It helps distract from thinking constantly about recovery. Although I still find that sitting at my computer for more than 20 minutes makes everything stiffen up. Not sure what your job is, but try to stand and walk around a bit as often as possible. Good luck!

IMG_6518.JPG
Another milestone of sorts. I finally went out and trimmed up our Yaupon Holly bush in the front yard last night - my facebook post was "Hips 2, Bush 0". Trimming this tree has always been a tricky process even before the hip surgeries as I have to balance on the top of the ladder to reach the top of the bush - so maybe 7-9 feet off the ground.

We went to Ft. Worth Saturday evening for dinner with my daughter and son in law in the Magnolia area. If anyone ever get's to Ft. Worth look up Magnolia Street - it's a nice area with lots of places to eat and drink. I mention this because this was the first time in a very long time we went out exploring and I felt no hip pain or had walking issues. I felt normal!!! My left hip is 5 weeks old today and I think the right hip is just over 12 weeks. I did have 2 advil but that's besides the point. I found my very first post on the pre-op area and I wrote my goal was to be back to 'normalacy' at 6 months - whatever that was intended to mean. I'm very close at this point. I've ridden my bike 50 miles this past week and like Saturday I rarely notice pain. The only real difficulty is my legs are stiff when I stand up for 5-10 seconds and my knees are a little sore but I should be over those issues soon. Most of my posts are TLTR (too long to read) but hopefully folks who are working thru this process know everything will heal up in time.

Brave soul climbing that ladder with those two new hips.
I wouldn't do it. Three months out and doing well.....good for you!
Continued healing and ladder climbing......carefully.
Best wishes for a great week! @a0167913

:goodpost:It helps everyone when you give us a play-by-play, so to speak.
Oh my stars, what a tall bush. I have a few Camillas half that tall if you could come trim them up for me.
I'm too chicken to do ladders right now.
Happy for you, take care to rest up alot after work.
Actually, probably won't need to remind you.
When I went back, I barely could get wait to get into my recliner with my ice bags at the end of the day!
Have a great week!

Day 97 on the new right hip and Day 45 on the new left hip. Bought the new bike today and can't wait to ride tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement but time for me to fly the coup. I'll check in next summer! ............ "and they said it couldn't be done"!
New Bike.jpeg

Last edited:
Great news. Happy days ahead. Happy for you.

Nice bike. Have a good ride. I'm pulling mine down today and taking it out.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Unique Mike
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom