TKR Odd pain in knee?

Glad to hear that you are being gentle. The pain may come and go and move around, but always listen to it. It is tbe only way that your body can communicate with you about how it's doing and what it needs. Generally, after TKR, at least in my experience, pain means slow down or stop, rest, ice, elevate. You are doing great!!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi

I've developed an odd pain in my knee.

When I bend my knee laying on the bed I get a sharp pain around the area in red, however when I sit on the end of the bed and try to bend it under the bed it doesn't hurt? It isn't there at any other times of the day.

Also I've developed a sharp pain around the area in green this is there a lot?

Is this normal would you say?

[Bonesmart.org] Odd pain in knee?
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Pain has been a moving target for me since Day One post-op and according to all the posts I've read here, this seems to be an almost universal experience. According to my PT, positioning is everything, with pain and ROM. Different muscles are activated (or not) in different positions. Just today, we performed the exact movements you have described, and my flexion is so much better with my leg hanging over the end of the table than it is with my foot on the table, in a classic, "Heel-Slide." Hope that eases your mind a bit?
 
I have had a similar experience to Pheebs. I second her comments.

Just this weekend I started having new-to-me pains around and under my patella, yet the swelling has gone down, and I'm doing nothing different in the exercise department. My PT said today that the new pains are probably FROM the swelling going down--meaning that my patella is more released (not bound up with edema) and able to move around. Hence, new sensations as the muscles and tendons get used to the patella's newfound freedom.

One thing my PT said that may be important to you: report any repeated stabbing pain that worsens or doesn't go away when you stop doing the motion that seemed to cause it. If you are going to physical therapy, they should be asking you about any new pains. Make sure you don't brush them off, as I have a tendency to do!

BTW, she also told me that the inner area you marked is the most common and lasting source of pain and discomfort in TKR patients with whom she's worked. I know that's true for me!
 
WJC, I am just over 12 weeks post op, and can attest to the fact that pain moves, comes and goes, changes in sensation, etc., and most were of no major concern. I would get random stabbing pain in various areas around knee, which I was told were the nerves waking back up again. Also, keep in mind that post surgery your leg was aligned to be straight, which may or may not have been the case pre-surgery, so all of your muscles are not only trying to learn to work again, but may be compensating for change in gait, initially due to limping and then relearning to walk with heel, rock, push off toes. Hoping this makes sense!:what:
 
I'm almost 9 weeks post-op and have had the traveling pains a lot. Every day the discomfort moves someplace different. I had a big ah-ha moment when I saw my old x ray side by side with my new x ray. The whole angle of my femur changed as a result of the new knee and that explains why my hip, lower back, and shin have had sore/tender spots.
 
How about tell me where it is using this chart? I can't really tell anything from your photo - sorry

[Bonesmart.org] Odd pain in knee?
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom