TKR Odd pain in knee?

@Ruby9297 - The same thing happened to me, except it was the physiotherapist who threatened that if I "resisted" letting her bend my knee to the point of agony, she'd phone my surgeon and I'd have to have further surgery. Nonsense! Why do so many PTs do this? Some even make people scream and cry! It's a scare tactic and it's wrong. I began to hate my therapist and despise going to physio. Finally, she released me at 110 flexion! I'm working on gradually increasing that myself. But I'm convinced that aggressive and painful IT band problem I have now was caused by aggressive physiotherapy, which I won't allow after my right knee replacement. I'm not rushing into another surgery after my left knee experience, that's for sure!!!!

To me, it's a form of bullying, and I think that any medical governing board would sanction someone for intentionally hurting a patient and threaten additional surgery if one refused to allow intentional infliction of pain. Very unprofessional!


Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543

LTKR scheduled on July 11th, 2017 [emoji51]
 
Glad to hear it - it's really hard when we get mixed messages about how this recovery works. My experience over the past month or so has been pain = no gain! Good luck to you in recovery!
 
@WJC1981, I am concerned about what you're told us so far and I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
@WJC1981
Did you see this offer of help from Josephine, in Post #16?
 
@Ruby2927 - In my case, the physiotherapists doing this torture and bullying were right in the rebab facility inside the hospital where I had my surgery done. It was called a "knee class" where post-op patients started physio one week after surgery! The rehab sessions of two hours twice a week for 8 - 10 weeks come with the operation as a package. The PTs can call the surgeons to come down if there's a problem or if patients are "not cooperative." The fact they bully, hurt and threaten people is just wrong IMHO, but the hospital sanctions it, in the other sense of the word. It's an assembly line and they want to get as many victims - um, patientts through rehab with 120+ degrees flexion and zero extension as they can, to make room for the next batch. The best I've been able to get is 110/0. Knee and hip replacements (there's also a " hip class) are just about all that hospital does. I'm not rushing to have knee #2 replaced and I'll go to a different place for rehab next time!
 
There are good PTs out there, but this type gives them all a bad name. :(
 
You must get that swelling down before you can get a good bend. Exercising just causes more swelling. Many OSs don't even allow any exercises the first month, and after that only light, non-aggressive movements. All of us on here have had knee replacements and you can benefit from our experiences. No pain=more gain! We are proof of that! Walking is the best exercise for your knee. After all, that's what it is intended to do!
 
So today I had my first PT appointment and I was dreading it after reading some horror stories on here.

Well I didn't need to worry, the woman was really nice and she said I'd be doing too much exercise and just gave me 2 exercises to do and told me to rest.

My bending is at 95 degrees which she was pleased about but my extension isn't as good it's -30 however she did say there is a lot of swelling and my muscles are weak.

She also mentioned the way I was resting my leg wasn't great as it was twisting my knee a bit and this could damage the rods and screws in my knee. I also wasn't relaxing when I was elevating and that why my thigh was really stiff and painful.

So to everyone out there that doing a lot of exercise please stop and rest sometimes resting is just as good as exercise.
 
:flwrysmile:I am glad you have a PT that understands the healing process. It makes such a difference, physically and mentally.
 
WJC1981,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
You are sounding so much better now that you have learned that less pain=more gain!
 
Great report! Glad you have a good PT - that makes all the difference. Keep on resting and elevating correctly.
 
Just today, the mid twenties PT at rehab wanted me to try something to improve my gait. It hurt a lot. I said firmly: "My knee is obviously not ready for that yet. I will "work" to discomfort but will stop when it's painful." She actually stopped and said: "OK try this instead." And the other suggested 'exercise ' was fine.
I told her I would try the first one she suggested next week. She smiled and so did I.
 
Your PT sounds like a winner so far!
 
Yes, we are much kinder to TKR patients in the UK! Most of the horror stories are from across the pond!
 
Yippee, hurray for sticking up for your knee!
 
@WJC1981, I am 12 wks out, only 44 and active, and had some of the same thoughts about wanting to "rush" recovery. I actually spent the 1st week and a half post op mainly icing and elevating, and didn't really do much exercise wise bc I was tired and in pain. As this was not my 1st knee surgery, I kinda new that until swelling and pain lessened, there wouldn't be much else I could do to help it other than ice, rest, elevate, but that I could make things worse if I tried to do too much. Once PT started, I was started with only 2 exercises, and always told not to push beyond discomfort to pain, which was great. My ROM is 0°-138° right now, and that was through NO forcing. Be gentle and patient with yourself!
 
Thank you, that's great to hear. I've developed a pain on the left side of my knee when bending so I'm being very gentle at the moment

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom