MUA Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<

Hello @Josephine -

I specifically tagged you in my post about my MUA possibility due to the fact that I've seen many of your posts on other threads in regards to MUA's and I feel that you have so much knowledge about these that I wanted your input and suggestions. So thank you.

So when you say you feel it would be 'worth a shot' do you mean the MUA?

Also what is your thought on the CPM machine and is it necessary? I did just google pools in our area, since so many seem to have such luck with that after MUA's and I found one right in my neighborhood. So gentle movements in the pool?

Thanks for any other suggestions you might have for me and I ABSOLUTELY love the photo of your black kitty!!! And the Christmas photo was so cute as well!!! We don't have any cats right now but after we retire - there will be a couple at least in my household!!!
 
So when you say you feel it would be 'worth a shot' do you mean the MUA?
Absolutely!
Also what is your thought on the CPM machine and is it necessary?
Personally I don't go much on them and the reading I've done supports my feeling that they don't actually contribute much to the overall outcome.
So gentle movements in the pool?
Certainly but keep the sessions short to start with. Maybe 10-15 minutes and gradually, slowly increase over the weeks.
your black kitty!!!
Actually it's not mine, it's a Google cat!

These are mine
[Bonesmart.org] Oct 2017 TKR - Hematoma - MUA - Finally past 90!<
 
We had a couple of black cats, also, named Dude and Willow.
 
Oh @funkymuse, I've been praying for your recovery. You have been so supportive to me. I'm sorry you have had a challenging journey too.

I think you should do it. I had MUA after TIbia Transfer and it really did help. I did have adhesions. I did have physio after MUA but had the most supportive PT who mainly made me tea and was so gentle with me. Sadly she's now retired. I found pool really helpful especially hydrotherapy.

I wish you very best
 
@funkymuse, I don't know about the medical benefits of a CPM machine. I had one in the hospital and insurance paid for one at home for two weeks. For me, although it may not have helped my ROM, it did feel good. I would put my knee on it and go to sleep! I gradually increased the degrees. Again, it might not have helped my recovery but I liked it and my doctor will probably order one for my second next week. Maybe it was just another way to rest. I don't think it hurt me.
 
Yes, had. They were siblings and born in 1994. They are in my avatar, Willow is the middle kitten and Dude is on the right,barely in the picture.

Willow was a strange cat but Dude was a buddy. Their mom outlived them all, to the age of almost 19.

My kitty days are over, but we had kitties for years and took care of many strays as they passed through our yard, mostly in the winter. Come spring they would move on.
 
We have had lots of dogs and one cat but now this girl is our baby. Meet Ginger, a thirty year-old African Grey. She rules the roost, talks in my husband's and my voice and loves grapes.
 
@funkymuse Remember "conscious contact"? I don't speak for Him but I don't think He gets tired of us. During the last six months of my husband's ordeal, all I did was pray. I look back and think how did I ever do that? Well, because I was being carried!

I read Josephine's response. Of course, you're confused. When I look back, I see the plan. Looking forward I see fear. I struggle to stay in the now and this TKR has shown me just how difficult that is.

I have been quiet because my OS visit was good and now I have to go to work. I like my job, like the people and need the money. I don't want to go back because I dread the fatigue and swelling which seems to be inevitable based on what I have read here. So you see, I'm out of the now and into the future that quick.

I do not want to complain because I'm doing well and there are so many who are struggling. It's sort of like survivor's guilt. This recovery business really messes with our minds. It's funny that I'm writing to you, but I'm really preaching to me.

I will say that I think icing has been the key for me. I have been sleeping with my Iceman more often. Early this morning I noticed that I could bend farther while I was still wearing the cooling pad. I think it is the swelling behind my knee that is a problem as well, although the front of my knee is still very tight.

I sometimes put a gel pak behind my knee, but overnight icing works the best when I'm not getting up and down for several hours while I sleep. I can't tell you the last time I did any exercises. However, I still get those nagging feelings I should do more.

I send my love and prayers. We'll see if Josephine reads this. I love it when she pops in and straightens us out. She's fast asleep in the UK right now.
 
That’s ok @jakeleg It’s 16:45 here. Thank you fir your wise words. I’m so grateful to have found this forum. You are all so supportive and it’s good to talk to people who truly know how I feel.
 
@jakeleg - did I read your post right that you have contacted the flu?!!! Oh my gosh Woman!!! That is just too sad. I'll be praying... hard to deal with and especially right after you got back to work. sigh.

Well... I've put the potential MUA out until the 25th of January and I have to tell you, even though I am a stiff log leg right now, this morning in the tub, I just swear I had more bend. Maybe I'm dreaming or wishing and creating it in my mind but I sure am hoping!

Today resting and elevating after working and having to do some errands today.

Hope everyone is doing well.. blessings to all.
 
@funkymuse I think it is Bronchitis or some type of respiratory condition. I was concerned about infection because they tell us how serious it is to get an infection after knee surgery.

Well, I got $62 worth of meds and I'm back in bed. I got a codeine cough medicine for tonight. I hope it knocks me out because the darn cough kept me up a lot last night.

I wore my red leggings to see the PA and asked her to tell me which knee was the replacement. She guessed wrong so I guess they look alike if you can't see the purple knee and the incision.

As for your bend, I thought I could bend more when I was in the shower with hot water on my knee. A few times I have used a warm pak in the morning when I was stiff. I agree about wishing, hoping and wanting it to be better. I'm sorry you're having to consider MUA. Let's pray for a miracle before the 25th. The constant worrying and obsessing wore me down.

I feel like I've made a new friend here. When did you live in Tulsa?
 
I was concerned about infection because they tell us how serious it is to get an infection after knee surgery.
Don't worry about that. The bug that cause bronchitis are unlikely to affect your knee.
 
I will share with you something I discovered when going into my surgery regarding a CPM. My mom's hospital uses them and she awoke in her room with one. My hospital doesn't keep them because the majority of their doctors no longer use them. My OS did, and had one ordered for home use; however, I did not use it the number of hours they said, otherwise, I would have not been able to move my leg! I'm not sure I would even use one on my next leg due to the swelling my knee did.
 
@jaschembra - wow... I can't believe it affected you like that! But it makes sense as the knee seems to need rest after such an invasive surgery. Alot of people seem to use them after an MUA however.. not sure what the difference would be. I've read alot about these CPM's and most studies show no improvement over using them or not using them. I"m sure it's individual but since my OS does not use them, I can't use one anyway.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
 
To me using them at night is great, it keeps my knee moving so I don’t stiffen up. I was on it all day & night, Tuesday after procedure through release Wednesday. Only getting off it to use the bathroom and to walk the floor. I had it going last night. I had ice on the my knee and a heating pad on my thigh. I know lots of Docs don’t use it anymore but I figure what can it hurt.
 
Back
Top Bottom