THR NY/NJ Dr willing to do hip replacement despite BMI?

JBLUE

Country
United States United States
First Post, joined after reading a thread "Weight loss before hip replacement" by Flwrgirl as Im in a similar situation.
Im 5'7", 320lbs,after steadily losing 80 lbs, still losing, living at central NJ shore.
Im looking for surgeon(s) in NYCity or NJ or PA area willing to perform hip replacement at my BMI specifically this year (hoping they could schedule in time) due to my insurance situation.
  • TEN MONTHS AGO, got and brought hip/knee MRIs to a great arthroscopy Dr who said unable to help due to severe OA, need replacement hip (most severe), possibly knee(s) and got referral to strangely angry, uncommunicative surgeon who I learned from I need healthy BMI for surgery.
  • RIGHT AFTER THAT DR APPT, had horrible fall. Forced me from limited cane walking to requiring walker, rarely walking. Also had to increase pain Rx to cope.
  • Discouraged, just continued weight loss.
  • BUT NOW, just hit our insurance out of pocket max thanks to unique circumstances this year which we won't have next year
  • SO ....
THIS YEAR SURGERY -- either no cost or, depending on Dr, dramatically reduced cost.
NEXT YEAR SURGERY -- with high ded plan, will be very costly.
PLUS -- possibly with time remaining this year to cover post surgery physical therapy
I understand its both (1) finding such a doctor and (2) them being able to schedule before year end but

Know a Jamie helped on that thread. Not sure how on this forum to reach out to her or anyone with recommendations or ideas to find a willing doctor.

Continuing to lose. Willing to do what I can, what a Dr asks of me (like pre-physcial therapy?). Whatever to make this happen this yea STARTS WITH a doctor who would consider it at my BMI. Any help greatly appreciated.

@JBLUE
Welcome to BoneSmart, glad you joined us! :welome:
Congratulations on the weight loss. :flwrysmile:
Have you check with HSS in NYC in your search for a surgeon willing to help you with your hip replacement?
I will tag @Jamie to see if she can help you locate a surgeon willing to work with you.

The reading I am giving you has a score chart, be sure to fill it out and take it to any appointments you may have so health professionals can see just how much your life has been limited by the arthritis in your hips.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

@Pumpkln
Thanks for your reply. The links are easy to review (very to the point), interesting and helpful - a wealth of info sure I'll be referring back too again.

Since reading your post, I definitely did check out HHS New York and will continue to. I only leave home for Dr appts. Im extremely limited in what I can do, I clean myself, bathroom alone but boyfriend overwhelming takes care of "us" things - cooking, cleaning, anything requiring leaving the house, etc. which indirectly still makes him my caregiver. Getting up during evening, asking do I 'need' anything knowing with all he does, I wont ask him to get up, will wait til he does, if I need something.

Not trying to be dramatic but from reading, realizing so many of the challenges I see described as life immediately post surgery are limitations I already live with. Long been using several of the recovery aids as part of normal life now - hopefully that means Im better adjusted for enduring challenges of post surgery.

BTW
Hope I dont sound whiney because aside from occassional moments, Im appreciative for my b/f and primarily happy, optimistic. Even after doing Score Card with only 2 with ease, 4 some difficulty, 11 great difficulty and 20 not at all - my bad fall was just before my b/f retired so he freed from work stress/ demands with much time and a natural caretaker (nice way to say he's always preferred to do things himself and his way). Just have nuch to be grateful for.

Im kinda resourseful too. I use an outdoor lightweight plastic chair (the stackable kind) in our walk-in shower. Keep a cane at couch and flip it upside down, putting handle under shoe works perfectly to lift leg to ottoman or after while, reposition my leg. Use curved end of a long cheapy bamboo back scratcher not as a 'grabber' but a great 'puller' for things just out of ,my reach. Because I do my own breakfast, use food storage containers with lids as bowls, plates to transport on my wheeled walker to table or work desk without concern of it tipping, spilling. So many tricks, got a jump start on handling post surgery but know your links will be significant help.

Anyway, putting together a list of HHS NYC hip replacement surgeons by branch location from their website. Didnt know where to start doctor / hospital but HHS, an ortho hospital - sounds like an ideal start, thanks again @Pumpkln !!! :):)

I'd second the recommendation to call HSS. You can even mention your weight issue in your intake call, and they will direct you to a specific surgeon. If you don't like that surgeon, you can check in with another. Dr. Michael Parks at HSS was featured in the New York Times s a few years back for his willingness to operate on patients with high BMI's.

There is also young guy there who has a great reputation, Dr. Alexander McLawhorn, and he has participated in a study involving people with weight issues before surgery. He might be worth consulting.

@Going4fun
Thank you for this - I recognize both those name :) from a list of 30 HSS surgeons Ive been going thru today and wow, so encouraging to know these this about these two.

BEST NEWS -- spent much of the day trying to interpret my insurance which for hip replacement is particularly complicated and limited to very few doctors, facilities (even to the ins companys own phone reps I spoke with) but finally determined HHS NYC is among the few approved facilities.

I was floundering but your replies have given me direction and incredibly grateful.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you have been find the information you have been looking for, and can move forward with you search for a surgeon.
Good luck!

I am using Dr. Della Valle at HSS. He was the best out of six surgeons I met with from various places like NYU.

Also his office is a couple of hundred feet from a parking lot which I was able to get parking for $18 from parkwhiz.com. That is great for the city. I couldn't have done the walking with public transportation.

Good luck with whomever you choose.

@pumpkin, your HSS suggestion was a godsend!

@Mersada Appreciate the recommendation and his correct name (had him listed as Gonzalez), especially since you screened multiple Drs. You made me realize something important I hadn't considered Might be lucky to find more than one HHS Dr willing to consider me with my higher BMI and if so, with NYC 1-1/2 hrs away it would be good to try scheduling a day I can meet with more than one Dr, maybe even staying overnight in the city.

When I went to see him his staff referred to him as Dr. Della Valle.
You might want to see Dr. Mayman, too. He was in the news for operating on the news man Al Roker, he did both his hips.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey.

@Mersada
The below encouraging article from HSS site quotes rheumatologists from study but ends saying: "...Other Hospital for Special Surgery authors involved in the study include Alejandro Gonzalez Della Valle, M.D."
~~THAT name sounds familiar ~~
I'd planned to check with his office from your screened choice of him but knowing he was involved with a positive-ending higher BMI study made me quick pick up the phone and was approved for a Virtual appt next week after getting them my newly taken Xrays!

"Study Overturns Common Assumption About Knee Replacements in Morbidly Obese Individuals" LINK
Obese Achieve Great Outcomes from Joint Replacement Surgery

ALSO Dr Parks had requested more records that Im just finishing receiving from my Drs to provide Parks' office to hopefully also be approved for an appointment.

Good news. Sounds like you're making progress. Good luck.

WOW!! Exciting news, so happy for you.

My sister is the director of Rehabilitation for this rehab/nursing center. She just had one of Dr. Parks patients with complications and is having a hard time getting him to follow up. She doesn't know why, but she is having issues with him. He might be a great doctor, but my sister was surprised because her HSS patients usually get followed up on right away.

It seem like Dr. Della Valle like to handle complicated cases which is great for me, too.

I can't wait to hear how it goes....good luck!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member