TKR Numb feet

Good advice to not look for progress everyday Layla!!! That makes so much sense. This forum is really a mental health life saver!! Feeling so much stronger for today at least!! Thank you.
 
When I was at one month I felt I would never have my second knee done. I was miserable. Now at five months I’m looking forward to being pain free in both knees instead of just one. You’ll get there too.
 
Thank you trinket. I just can't believe how miserable I still am at a month out. I hope I can be as strong as these other folks and wait it out!!! Just wish I would've known about this long up and down journey. But I guess I know now!!! Hope you get your next surgery soon. It's hard to imagine pain free knees!! I will be a wonderful thing.
 
Now five weeks out and getting around better. My ROM is stuck at 90. I know it's still early but it is what everyone asks about. Therapy is challenging but not real painful. The depression seems to be building. I feel discouraged that I'm not where others think I should be. I know I shouldn't worry about that but it's hard not to compare yourself to others who have done so well. Sleep has been better. I can now get three hours in a row some nights. I usually wake up on my side so I hope I'm not doing something wrong.
 
My OS said it was ok to sleep in whatever position makes your knees feel better. So, I wouldn’t worry about waking up on your side. Glad you’re getting a bit longer sleep stretches. I’m 8 weeks PO BTKR and can only get an hour at a time asleep in bed before knees wake me. I can sleep in the recliner though, so I’m getting some decent sleep.
 
I feel discouraged that I'm not where others think I should be. I know I shouldn't worry about that but it's hard not to compare yourself to others who have done so well.

Yes, I agree that it's hard not to make comparisons. But it's important to remember that we are all different and that each of us went into this surgery with our own unique stage of knee damage and each of us recovers at our own pace.

Your are not "stuck", you are still healing. By the way, most surgeons hope their patients get to 90 by 6 weeks post-op -- so you are absolutely NOT behind.

Keep in mind that there is still lots of swelling inside your knee (even if it doesn't look swollen on the outside). And, it's the swelling that is preventing you from bending further. Be sure to ice and elevate as much as possible to reduce that swelling. As it goes down, your bend will improve.

Glad to hear you are sleeping better!
 
Had my six week post op appointment today with my orthopedic surgeon. He said I'm not as far along as he would like but I'm doing ok. My ROM is around 98. He thinks I need to push harder. No pain no gain were actual words he said. He did say it could take six months to a year to get full ROM. I felt pretty defeated after leaving his office. I am trying really hard at therapy. My therapist is not of the no pain no gain way of thinking. I get pushed hard but not to the point of tears. I am doing so much more than even a week ago. I just find it so hard to stay positive. I see him again in six weeks.
One quick question...is it ok that I'm still taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen a couple of times a day. It just seems like I've been taking it for so long. I never go over the recommended dosage per day but didn't know if six weeks was too long to be taking it. That's all I take. It does the trick I don't need stronger. Thanks for reading my story. I feel grateful for this forum. Have a nice night.
 
Please don’t worry about your ROM. 98 at 6 weeks is fine. There are many doctors who also don’t believe in ”no pain, no gain” I’m sorry yours is not one of them.

I took Tylenol and ibuprofen alternately for months after my surgery and I’m fine.

There is no Window of Opportunity, my ROM continued to improve all through my second year post op.

This is what one of our members, TortiTabby, experienced:

(Just so you know, ADL means Activities of Daily Living.)

“At my six week appointment this is what my OS wrote in my visit summary: "She reads an online website called Bone Smart which states to not push through pain following knee replacement. If she were to follow this direction, she will have to learn to live with a knee that only reaches to 85 degrees of flexion. I believe this website is very misleading."

It has now been 20 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks (where I am today): 110
I am so thrilled it keeps improving and improving and I know now that I will get to my goal of 120 (or even better, dare I say!) :egypdance:
So, if a OS or PT bullies you into thinking your ROM will not improve over time they are wrong. By the way, I haven't been back to see the OS since that horrible appointment at 6 weeks, but I sure am going back when I reach 120 just to say, "Ha! You were wrong, BoneSmart was right!" :yes:“

And,

“Just an update for those who are apprehensive about gaining ROM:
It has now been 26 weeks and all I do is ADL and this is what my ROM has done:
3.5 wks: 75
6 wks: 85
7 wks: 90
10.5 wks: 95
14 wks: 100
17 wks: 105
20 weeks: 110
26 weeks (where I am today): 120!!!
I did it! My goal of 120! No "pushing through pain", no PT after the first 3 visits, and most importantly to me: No MUA! My surgeon who said I would never get beyond 85 ROM without pushing through pain was wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm excited to see if it gets even better. :happydance: “
 
Had my six week post op appointment today with my orthopedic surgeon. He said I'm not as far along as he would like but I'm doing ok. My ROM is around 98. He thinks I need to push harder. No pain no gain were actual words he said.
A 98 bend at six weeks is quite good. Most OSs expect 90 degrees at six weeks and you have surpassed that!
Your doctor's way of thinking is outdated. Rehabbing a joint replacement is totally different that the PT from other things. Newer, up-to-date doctors know this and know that the gentler approach works better for TKRs. Please don't let your doctor discourage you. You are doing great!
 
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm so thankful for bonesmart and my PT that also embraces a gentler approach.
 
I am sorry you felt defeated leaving your surgeon’s office. “No pain, no gain” is a crazy notion. Pain is actually your body signaling for change. It seems like he’s kind of contradicting himself when he tells you no pain, no gain in one breath, but confirms in the next that it can take up to a full year to re-gain complete ROM. Actually, it takes some even longer, so I’d say you’re doing really well.
Thankfully you have a PT that believes in a slow easier approach. That is a blessing and you will find many more along the way. Hang in there! You’re doing fine. :)
@Babybaby
 
One quick question...is it ok that I'm still taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen a couple of times a day. It
I still take some ibuprofen at over 6 months. I was taking naproxen and occasional coco-damol at your stage.
I think you sound as though you are doing really well.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Babybaby!
I hope you’re feeling better about your recovery. Keep reminding yourself that this healing journey can last a full year and even longer for some so you have lots of
time / room for improvement. Take it slow and easy an you’ll get there! :)
@Babybaby
 
I guess everything else is going well. I had my surgery April 3rd and quit taking the oxy codon on April 8. I'm not sure if I might have done that a little soon. I'm only taking Tylenol now. 500mg every 4-6 hours. Worried that I'm taking too much Tylenol but I don't know. PT is going well.I only have two more home visits. My biggest complaint besides the numb feet is insomnia. I am exhausted but can not get any sleep. Is this normal?
You can take up ro 4,000mg of Tylenol per day. I was taking 1,000mg 3 times a day from day 1. Now almost 5 months in and I’ll still take a 1,000 every now and then as needed.
 
Is it common to still have a nagging pain in my surgical leg nine weeks out from my surgery? I am so ready to feel normal again. I think I've turned a corner and then I'm back to feeling lousy both mentally and physically!!
 
Yes, @Babybaby, what you describe is completely normal. This is a year-long recovery and you are a bit more than 2 months in.

You may have overdone it because you were feeling better. Or it could just be the normal course of healing. I remember thinking that I was doing the "2 steps forward, 1 step backwards" dance for quite a while during those early months of recovery. In fact, we even have a little illustration of how recovery from a joint replacement usually goes:

rollercoasterexample-gif.74641


It does get better; it just takes time. Meanwhile, we are here for support whenever it's needed.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope things are going better for you these days.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Babybaby
 
Thanks Layla. Things are going better. But I think I still have a ways to go. My foot is still numb and tingly half of the time but my orthopedic surgeon says it has nothing to do with the surgery but I find that hard to believe. I am done with physical therapy and am doing exercises at home now. I still feel like I have a cloud of depression over me but the Dr also said it has nothing to do with the surgery. But I am having more good days than bad so that is something!!!
Have a nice day.
 
Hello again, Babybaby, and thanks for sharing an update.
I am sorry you’re still dealing with the numbness. My guess is your OS is thinking it will ease over the next several months and therefore not concerned. I disagree with his thoughts on depression being unrelated to the surgery. I am guessing you’re feeling vulnerable, uncertain and your life isn’t what you imagined it would be at this point. As difficult as it is, this recovery does have its ups and downs and takes a lot of patience. You’re still relatively early into a process that can take a full year and even longer for some. I suggest you read the article on Post Op Blues below.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/post-op-blues-is-a-reality-be-prepared-for-it.7591/

In addition here is another thread that may help you realize that you’re not alone in your feelings.

I do believe it will get better, so cling to that thought and know that we’re here for support and encouragement whenever you’re feeling the need.
Hugs and best wishes!
@Babybaby
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom