Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Now my hip has given out

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
@Mollymax, you might want to walk with a cane for when the hip misbehaves or better yet a set of hiking (trekking) poles. I love my hiking poles as I walk a lot over fields and the ground is very uneven but have used them post op on the road for a better even step. In addition, your arms get a work out moving them as you walk.

OP
OP
Mollymax

Mollymax

graduate
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@leejaa i do usually use trekking poles but I was out on my walk before I remembered. I was doing a very fast walk as was timing myself for an event I am doing in Cyprus next week. Think I need to use them more often.

Elf1

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You were out walking this week and your hip gave way a couple of times? I would personally think doing a timed event next week won't be good for your already deteriorating hip. I know when I was awaiting surgery I had to limit my physical activity, no matter how much I hated to, to avoid causing any additional damage and pain. Wish you'd rethink that.

Argee

Country
@Mollymax my brother has both knees replaced and both hips. His last knee surgery was performed at Victoria hospital Kirkcaldy 2018 and his last hip was done there also may 2019. I had hip replacement on 6th jan this year at the Vic. We had the same surgeon. Mr Edward Dunstan. 13 weeks from seeing him at clinic to surgery. Thoroughly recommend if you can find a way of registering in Fife. All the best

OP
OP
Mollymax

Mollymax

graduate
Country
@Argee I had Mrs Mitchell. She was great. For now though I will like many others have to put up with the pain until this state of things is over and that could be months. I've just phoned doctor for repeat painkillers.

OP
OP
Mollymax

Mollymax

graduate
Country
Struggling some days with this hip pain. Today walking the dogs I was finding it hard to pick my foot up on that side. I found myself scuffing my foot. I thought it was maybe my knee causing the problem but I think it's my hip just won't move properly. I guess I wont be seeing orthopaedics for some considerable months with all that is going on. I'm limping more with this than I did before I got my knees replaced. I could walk through the pain in them. Not finding it so easy with the hip.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I'm sorry to read your update, Hopefully you can curtail some of your walks, or at least the duration and length of the walks to help your hip stay happy.

Hang tough! We shall get through this, all of us.

GrannyC

post-grad
Country
It appears your walks may be aggravating your hip. Maybe it would help if you shortened your daily walks until after your surgery. Since you have the dogs, you may have to walk but they will be just fine with shorter walks for a time. If you keep aggravating your hip, you may reach a point where you can’t walk at all and that would not be good for you or for the dogs. They will quickly learn that walks now will be shorter. Actually it would be better if you didn’t walk at all except for around the house but maybe that is not possible. Anyhow, you need to baby that hip as much as possible as the more you do, the more the hip deteriorates and there is nothing we can do to stop it. I wish you well.

leejaa

Forum Advisor
Country
I also could not lift that leg much to walk and found myself dragging/sliding it a lot at home especially on the floor to ease the pain and any movement. I tried not to do much walking since I had a 6m wait for surgery and was afraid to do any more to it and be even more limited. Try to be kind to that hip right now since there are no options for surgery during this crisis.

OP
OP
Mollymax

Mollymax

graduate
Country
I'm doing as little as possible when in pain. Some days are better than others. The physio told me to keep walking and to get out cycling as it is good for me. How it will be I don't know. It ain't going to get any better. Oh well there are more things to worry about just now. I'll worry about my hip once we are al, passed this nightmare we are living in. I doubt I'll even see orthopedics before next year now.

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
ladyk
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom