THR Now in Post-Op

Wow, I remember now you said your THRs were to be 10 days apart.
When folks find out I did both together they would proclaim I must be brave (I wasn't so brave, just wanted it done and I was in pain!)
but 10 days post #1...
:dubious: You are BRAVE !

Now you can get all healed up and recover so you can get back to your life....
Healing Mojo coming your way!

Thanks again CricketHip, Right hip is already improved by the end of first day. About to take my 4th Walker assisted walk along Hospital corridor. Back in Physio on Sunday, and hopefully allowed in pool sessions later next week. Really excited about doing rehab/rest as well as I can.

I am confused by your pool sessions, too. As far as I know, none of us were allowed to be in the water until the incision was fully healed.
But other than that, I love your update. Life is good without those old, mangy hips!
@Peshay

and hopefully allowed in pool sessions later next wee
Does your surgeon know you are planning to get into the pool? You really should not be in a pool until your incision is fully healed. There is a risk of infection.
Yes Surgeon is aware of pool sessions. The other patients who had surgery on the same day as me have since a week after having surgery had at least one pool session a day. I couldn’t because of my blisters. Seems pretty standard part of rehabilitation here in Australia? We have a water resistant bandage on.

Today is not good, two days after RHTR, am in a lot of pain, can barely move. Surgeon dropped in this morning and said it was a tough one I believe he said the angle of the pelvic socket on right side was less than normal and took a lot of manipulation to get it right which I gather is why I’m in significant discomfort. Hope it settles down soon. Disappointing after such a smooth LHTR ten days earlier.

In addition I’ve developed hiccups which are driving me crazy and making sleep more difficult than it already is.

And on top of all that a number of teeth on my right side are very painful. Is this a thing with this type of surgery

Hope I haven’t made a terrible decision in getting my Right Hip done.

Hi @Peshay,
Congratulations on the two new hips - 10 days is so brave - I waited nearly five years and wish I'd had the 2nd sooner but 10 DAYS :wow:

Sorry to hear you are in so much pain - from what I've read here and from my experience, days 2 or 3 are often the worst for pain. Hopefully you can be given appropriate pain relief.

Hiccups post surgery I've not heard of but doubtless someone has. Ditto sore teeth. Hopefully painkillers wil sort that too.
Sure all will resolve soon, just remember why you had these ops and be kind to yourself.

I'm so so sorry you are miserable... pain and hiccups on top of that...:gaah:

Sometimes sucking on ice, swallowing bits of cushed ice-helps me get rid of hiccups?

Speaking of ice, will the hospital supply ice packs to help with your pain?

Be the squeaky wheel and perhaps they can tweak your pain medication...no sense in gritting your teeth to get through it. (Seriously though - Do you suppose you may have been clenching your jaw causing teeth to ache?)

I hope they get your pain managed and things ease off soon, friend.

I'm so so sorry you are miserable... pain and hiccups on top of that...:gaah:

Sometimes sucking on ice, swallowing bits of cushed ice-helps me get rid of hiccups?

Speaking of ice, will the hospital supply ice packs to help with your pain?

Be the squeaky wheel and perhaps they can tweak your pain medication...no sense in gritting your teeth to get through it. (Seriously though - Do you suppose you may have been clenching your jaw causing teeth to ache?)

I hope they get your pain managed and things ease off soon, friend.
Thanks for your suggestions Mojo. 3rd day post surgery 2, I’m feeling a lot better particularly after a light physio session.

Unlike my first Surgery this time I’ve been requesting pain relief meds and they’re certainly helping. No trouble in getting nurses to provide.

Suspect you’re right in me possibly clenching my jaw, causing tooth pain. Seems to be settling down today so hopefully it’s a temporary thing.

Doctor is having nurses provide me with medication for the hiccups and atm they’re all but gone.

No trouble getting ice which is very beneficial after physio.

Overall feeling much better and more positive than yesterday. Rehab is certainly a roller coaster ride.

Last edited:
:wave: I'm glad to see things are easing some...

I wasn't offered ice at the surgery center where I had my BTHR, and I was grateful to be be home where I could ice and take my meds and get more comfy (and whine in the privacy of my home and loved ones:cry:)

I would imagine since your surgeries were performed so close together, it would make it hard not to compare them.
The first week was pretty tough for me...
I told my OS at my 1st post op appointment, that he set the appointment for 10 days out, so I would be over hating him by then.:heehee:

All Temporary, double hippy pal.:friends:

Hang in there, it will get better. Your body is adjusting to TWO major surgeries very close together.
Don't worry about the need for more pain meds. You're allowed.
I agree that you probably needed a bit more "work" (pushing, sawing, reaming, pulling) on the most current hip. It will pass.

Interestingly my husband had hiccups after a major abdominal surgery. Poor guy, hiccups with a large abdominal incision! They gave him meds to help. I hope you can kick them, soon!
Our bodies are amazing. They can withstand so much... so very much!
I hope your day is a wonderful one.

You’re very helpful CricketHip, your experienced advise is greatly appreciated. Hiccups now gone which is a relief. Hope you have a wonderful day too.

Finally got in the pool for a rehab session which went very well - reducing gravity? enabling greater range of motion than possible on land.

I know there seems to be a lot of concern here about getting in the pool before complete healing of the incision(s), but my surgeon and rehab Doctor have been using pool as part of rehab for a long time. I have huge amounts of water proof dressings on the incisions.

Tuesday to Friday I’ll be doing as per today a morning session in gym and an afternoon session in the pool. With the plan to go home this Saturday, Hooray

Glad you are feeling better @Peshay :) :-) (:

Interesting about different protocols in different countries...
Here in the U.S., joint replacement is turning into a same day surgery...nice for not staying in hospital...but often not alot of good after care advice / instruction.
Are you in the hospital where you had your surgery or is it a rehab center?

So interesting about the pool! How did you feel by that evening? I am very intrigued.
It sounds lovely!

I agree with others about how here in the US there's no getting in a pool that early. The biggest concern is over infection, maybe they have a better handle on it in Australia. Over here pools are like a breeding ground for bacteria.

Glad you are feeling better @Peshay :) :-) (:

Interesting about different protocols in different countries...
Here in the U.S., joint replacement is turning into a same day surgery...nice for not staying in hospital...but often not alot of good after care advice / instruction.
Are you in the hospital where you had your surgery or is it a rehab center?
Can’t comprehend going home on day of surgery seems barbaric. The hospital care here has been amazing, then there’s great food I get given 5 times a day. It’s like been in a resort. Really enjoying my stay here.

Hospital and rehab have been a one stop shop. The rehab physios have been fantastic and I’m very critical of bad physios. Can’t imagine my rehab would be anywhere near as progressed without my daily physio sessions each day: gym am, pool pm.

The movement you get in the pool with various water levels, pool benches and additional aids is ingenious and so beneficial. Loving my pool sessions.

As much as I’ve enjoyed my stay here hope to leave on Sunday, a day short of three weeks having had two hip replacements and a good understanding of rehab exercises going forward.

So interesting about the pool! How did you feel by that evening? I am very intrigued.
It sounds lovely!
By the end of the day after two rehab sessions, one in the pool I feel very ready to sit down to my 4 course hospital dinner with daily glass of wine of choice. Hope what I’m saying now while drinking is making sense. So yes it is lovely.

Can’t over emphasise how great and beneficial the pool sessions are. Nurses are very fastidious in water proof dressing wounds every day. Must have cost the hospital, my health fund a small fortune.

I agree with others about how here in the US there's no getting in a pool that early. The biggest concern is over infection, maybe they have a better handle on it in Australia. Over here pools are like a breeding ground for bacteria.
The guy managing the pool seems very diligent in keeping it exceptionally clean and checking chemical components . They’ve been using the pool for rehab for decades here in Australia, I’m sure they wouldn’t be sending us in there if there was a bad track record. My pool sessions have been so beneficial. If I feel the need I’ll happily come back for sessions as an outpatient.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom