THR November 6, 2019 surgery (just found this great site)

I went out today for about two hours without any support devices. I caught the bus into central London (there's a toll to pay if you take the car) and I managed to negotiate the shoppers, tourists etc. quite well. But I was very tired when I got home. So 9 weeks tomorrow and I'm cane free. If we get any snow or icy weather though it will be brought back into service temporarily.
 
Today is our 9 week anniversary: (no flowers, I'm afraid). I'm now walking and going out without a cane except I'll use it in very icy/snowy weather (none yet here in London). I am driving and sleeping in any position I want (not at the same time!) but still using a pillow between my knees as I found it more comfortable. I have some pain still in my knee and calf; also some lower back pain. I take 400mg of ibuprofen once a day with breakfast and no other medication. I go to my local club and wallow in the warm hydro pool twice a week and have PT at the hospital occasionally. I see my OS for the final time (hopefully) on the 28th.
I still have a limp, of course, and a slight leg-length discrepancy which my OS has said is because of a tilt in my pelvis which he expects to improve. I hope you're feeling equally positive and well.
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
How are you doing? We’d love to hear all about your progress if you have time to share.
Hope to hear from you soon. Until then...all the best!
@Boneyfi
 
Hello All,

Hope you are all healthy in these difficult times. I have stopped going to physio and the gym since both are closed now. I have been walking fine but get tired and sometimes prefer the bicycle to get excercise.
A few days ago I developed a bout of sciatica or similar in the old hip and could barely walk so now have been doing daily stretches and frankly I'm taking it easy and taking a tylenol nightly.
The scar healed up well and I have a set of exercises which I probably overdid on one side. I did some cross country skiing a few weeks ago and enjoyed that. I sometimes feel achy in my leg joints but I had that before. Life is never perfect but I am grateful I no longer have that constant left hip pain.
We all know how to take it easy from our recovery phase so it's a matter of extending that if like us you have to stay inside like we do in Manhattan. Best wishes to all who have just started their journey.
 
Nice to hear from you and that you're doing well for the most part. A few little bumps in the road here and there. I know I have seen some places doing yoga, Zumba and other fitness classes online so I guess we can still get a bit of a workout in If we wish.

Take care, be safe, and we'll ride this out.
 
Cross country skiing, awesome. Must have felt good to be able to do normal things again. My surgery was after yours by a week and I too am doing well. Using my recumbent exercise bike a lot since still very cold here especially this week. I'm in upstate NY in the country so considering riding my bike outside after years of it hanging maybe in a month or so. My hip and thigh also gets a bit tight and tired after I do a lot all at once. Good thing you are resting it now and just doing stretches. I know it takes at least a year to feel completely normal and I actually never think of my left hip which was done in 2017; in fact I forget that it was replaced. You will get there as will I with my right hip.

Stay safe
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom