Not sure I am ready to have surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Billy - I agree about the mental preparation being very important and can only help with a successful recovery. I am very much a planner. Things like being able to choose the time of year, put more funds in to my FSA to help offset the out of pocket expenses and being able to be off work at a less busy time so I don't feel pressured to go back early, etc. will really help my recovery when it is time for it to be done.
 
Minnie x
I knew it was time for me when the thought of being in a wheelchair for the rest of my life was not scaring me but getting me excited. The thought of no more pain, no more not being able to stand, not being able to walk, not having to do the housework or go shopping and becoming dependent on others were things I was looking forward to rather than dreading. Then sense and reality took over.
No regrets whatsoever, I never think about my knees just my life and the fun I have now.
When you are ready you are ready.
Good luck.
:flwrysmile:
 
My knee got bad very quickly. I'm a retired teacher and do some subbing. I was subbing one day in Nov. 2012. I had terrible pain going up and down stairs that day. The pain went away after awhile, but came back about a year ago. It was downhill after that. The doctor said he usually doesn't advise knee replacement the first time he sees a new patient, but you are an exception. He wanted to know why I waited so long. Then I got the talk about nerve damage and foot drop. I was about in tears by the time I left. I read about other people on this forum who also got that talk because of valgus deformity, so I guess they have to do that. I do know I need this surgery when I wake up in the morning. I have to grab on to furniture for the first steps.
 
@Coniglietta - sorry to hear it got so bad for you, but glad you got it done and are much better now.

@Tiger Fan - glad you have yours scheduled and best wishes for your surgery. Everyone keeps saying I will know when I am ready or when I start to have more limitations.
 
@Minnie's knees
I am 9 months out from LTKR. Before surgery I was doing great. Lost 20 lbs. went to the gym
Was pain free...I did have a bad limp for 3 yrs. At the gym my knee felt great, until one day I had pain
That didn't go away :gaah:With in 2 weeks, I couldn't walk:shocked:I timed my surgery just in time &
By June 3, 2013 I was begging for surgery:beg:My surgery & recovery were perfect ( great O.S.)
Since that day I have not limped once, I am back at the gym & hope to lose 20 lbs.:dancy:
Granted my arthritis was from a car accident in 1977 I had an Osteotomy for 12 yrs. So I knew a
Replacement was in my future.
My point is.....Knees can go downhill pretty quickly :boohoo:
You will know when the time is right & will make the right decision for you & your O.S.
Take Care,
Diana:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom