Guest viewing is limited

TKR not feeling normal since TKR...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all..been a long time since I have been here but my computer just didn't want to act right. Must be related to my left knee:shrug:. Well I would like to tell you how wonderful life is after the sugery but just can't happen and don't think it ever will. Went to OS 3 weeks ago because the pain is almost unbearable both day and night. Have tried everything I know to do.He simply doesn't understand why it hurts so bad when the xrays show that it looks great with no problems. Sent me for blood work to make sure there is no infection, which I think was a waste of time, blood and money. If this leg was infected for nearly 6 months I would probably be sawing it off and beating him with it.:hissy: I go back to him this week I think, for what I don't know. But it hurts so bad all the time, I soooo wish I had never had it done. At least before I got some relief some of the time. It is very hard to go through life as normal, working and yardwork and all else when something hurts so bad. I just don't know what else to do. Have got the stomach issue straightened out pretty much. It was all caused from anxiety and stress. Meds help a little with that. Have lost about 25 pounds and still have no appetite. I have no life anymore or aything else for that matter. Still taking pain meds but don't help much because I have been on them so long....if anyone has any great thoughts I sure am up to hearing them...hope that you all are doing well and happy, and will try to read some post later today......have a great day... love ya , Di:boohoo:
 
Diane, have you even considered getting another opinion from an OS who specializes in revisions and is not associated in any way with your current OS? In spite of what your OS says about the x-rays indicating that everything is fine----if you are in pain and suffering all the time---everything is NOT fine! And if he cannot figure it out, someone else may be able to.

I am tagging Josephine for her input into your problem.
 
Couldn't agree more. If you want my honest opinion, your surgeon seems a waste of time. Cut him loose and find someone who will get on with it.
 
So sorry Dianne that you are having such problems. Certainly understandable why would feel that way. Finding another orthopedic surgeon does sound like the first step. Are you able to travel to a larger city like Atlanta for another orthopedic surgeon consult?
 
Yes, it does sound like a 2nd opinion from an unrelated OS is the way to go.
 
I agree, Diane....you need fresh eyes on your situation.
 
Hey all...thanks for all the replys. Knee has been a little less painful this passed week..:happydance:went back to OS, no infection and he drawed off 25cc"s of fluid to really make sure and everything was good..NO INFECTION, which I already knew..:umm:he told me to come back in 6 months and if at that time the knee was still hurting that he would tell me that this is what I have and I will have to live with it..he said if the problems with my back was not the reason it hurt so bad, he didn't have a clue..my pain management doctor that I go to for my back said it was possible that all the problems with the back was causing the pain..:shocked:At this point I am really scared of these doctors and I am not so sure that I can go through anymore after this..I think I am done and will just live with the pains until I can't stand it anymore and just finish myself off.:headbang: hope that you all are doing well and I thank you so much for your support...may consider letting another doc look at it but don't know about anything beyond that at this point..

Love ya all
Di
 
Diane,
Sorry to read all you have gone through. My TKR is painful, but much better than three months ago. I had three consultations, they all put my mind at ease about my knee. I may need my patella resurfaced.
Getting 3 second opinions was the best thing I have done for myself, and my recovery.
Please start looking for revisionist surgeons, they have the most experience in what can go wrong. Gather all your records they are going to want copies of reports and x rays before agreeing to see you.
It can be over whelming, do one thing at a time. And try to do something fun from time to time.
Take good care,
 
Dianne,

I am so glad that there was no infection! :happydance:

Seek out a good revisionist on down the road. Life with pains no fun, and a new perspective would be valuable. Revisionists take the tough cases and figure out what is causing the pain instead of telling you you may have to live with it! :shocked:

One thing that I learned after having the first knee done was that it threw my gait off causing my back to hurt. Are both of your legs the exact same length? It could be as simple as putting a lift in the non-TKR shoe to get the pain to stop! Please keep in touch! You are part of our family and we care about you! :friends:
 
Dianne, it sounds as though you need to give yourself a little time. But please, please don't allow yourself to be convinced that you must "just live with" pain. There are excellent revision surgeons who may be able to help you at a later date when you are ready to try and get things fixed. These guys are trained to see things with a joint replacement that other doctors just don't find. A good revisionist can make all the difference in the world.
 
Di ~ I couldn't help but be alarmed at what you said in your last post...

I think I am done and will just live with the pains until I can't stand it anymore and just finish myself off.:headbang:

I can't give you wise advice since I'm just getting out of the Cranky Stage myself and I'm at six months. If anyone asks me if I'm glad I had the surgery, I still respond with, "Not Yet!"
[Bonesmart.org] not feeling normal since TKR...
Oh, and everyone knows everything that there is to know about TKR and recovery, and they haven't even had one!
[Bonesmart.org] not feeling normal since TKR...
I still have pain, but it is not constant. It will get better, but I can't give you a time frame. I'm still waiting for the day when I don't think about my knee all day every day. I do have moments when I realize that I am going to survive this, and YOU will too!
[Bonesmart.org] not feeling normal since TKR...
Keep at trying to manage the pain and that will definitely make a great difference for you!
[Bonesmart.org] not feeling normal since TKR...
 
Dianne,

Hitting your head on the wall or door out of sheer frustration is normal! Many of us have been (and still are) fighting battles right along side of you. Don't feel like you are in this alone! Many times I have posted my frustrations along the way about this danged right knee! I keep looking for the day that I can post that my kneecap doesn't have to be imprisoned in a knee brace to keep from shifting out of place! :headbang:

One thing I try to look at is where I'm at compared to where I was before knee surgery. I couldn't walk without pain, I can with crutches outside, and I move around the house without them some. I am learning they are helpful though.

My point is do whatever it takes to bring you peace of mind. Seek out a revisionist See if they can help you. Your life is waiting on you! :happydance:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom