Guest viewing is limited

TKR Not a new patient but I need help, lots of it

@Texaslady, I had a THR five years ago and though I had a slow recovery, the pain level was nothing like the knee. The knee takes the cake in the pain category! The good news? Soon, hopefully around week 3, maybe week 4, you should have some reduction in pain. Many here have experienced that, self included, so I hope you will as well.:SUNsmile:
 
I agree with the others. Week 3 was the week I realized I was not in as much pain as before. Of course, the drugs made me so woozy, it could have earlier and I would have not noticed. Hang in there. It is a very slow process, and the mind set is very important.
 
Welcome @Texaslady, take your pain meds. One side effect that most of us experience with narcotic pain medication is constipation, so taking a stool softener and a laxative as well helps. With all of my pain medications, vitamins, and supplements, I got overwhelmed, so I put all the bottles of meds in a plastic shoe/storage box, and kept it on my bedside table where I could reach it at all times. I also kept a clipboard with it. At the beginning of each day, I wrote the date, then recorded every pill that I swallowed, with the time. This way I was able to make sure I was on track with all my meds. It helped me, especially in the first few weeks.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Texaslady did they happen to give you any Roxycodone? It does not have the Tylenol in it. When I was in the first weeks I would actually take one of the 5 mg of Roxycodone with 2 extra strength Tylenol. It seemed to help me a lot. Just an idea. Make sure to stick with the schedule that they had you on in the hospital if they had your pain well under control in there. It helped me to keep the same schedule.
 
I know it is early but not as early as I had to get out bed:bawl::bawl:in so much pain. I awoke at about the usual time 2 a.m for pain meds.it has been 10 days today since surgery, I was right on schedule for meds. but this morning the pain was awful,I normally wake and take my pain medication a few minutes of discomfort but not this morning I was in so much pain I keep laying there thinking it would get better:beg: no no way. So up I get. I came in the den and got my leg elevated and iced before it finally easied up,this is the worst. Ever since the hospital medication have worn off late last week it has gotten worse. My doctor finally sent me a new prescription to increase my pain medicine. I go see the PA today hopefully to take the bandage off. I don't know why I felt so compelled to write this early about this except I know you all understand,plus I was wondering does this happen to others.:bawl:
 
I am so sorry you are in so much pain. I have been sleeping in my recliner because I can keep my legs elevated and it seems to ease the pain. I hope that your pain will diminish really soon!!!
 
Oh I hope the new prescription and your visit to the PA today lead to some way to get your pain under control. Until then, keep using that ice to keep the pain at bay. It, along with elevation, helps a lot. Sometimes it seems pain can have a mind of its own, but your doctor should be able to give you medication that will help. Thinking of you and hoping your appointment goes well!
 
@Texaslady
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
You are right in the middle of the very angry knee phase, you may need a little stronger pain medication, or something else for break through pain. You can ask when you visit the PA later today.
Right now your knee needs lots of TLC, it needs lots of rest, ice, elevation, and medication on schedule as prescribed. The only activity you need is the walking you do in your home to the bathroom etc.
You can also do these two gentle activities 1 or 2x a day.
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .

You will want to go back and read the Recovery Guidelines left for you on pg one of your thread.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your help as the posting goes, I am never really sure how it goes I know.
 
Hi Texaslady, I was in a *lot* of pain for the first couple weeks. I had to be faithful about the pain meds. It *will* get better! I had my icing machine running all day and night for quite a while.
 
My daughter kept telling me "don't chase the pain"so I took my meds religiously. I don't do well with meds, so I was very happy when I could get off them, but I am also very glad I had them when I needed them. The med phase of our recovery is different for everyone so don't try to follow any time table. Take the time YOU need. Yes, at times, you will feel like a slug and wonder why you can't get up and do some things. But that will come later. Do what you need now, and don't worry about later. The elevation, rest, and icing will help you through.
 
Just don't worry about needing more medication! It is there to help us!! I'm with you that my hip replacement in 2013 was a piece of cake...comparatively speaking. Much, much less pain, and quicker more steady recovery. This is s l o w going..
 
OJ2's daughter is right, it's never good to chase the pain. Stay ahead of it by taking your meds on schedule and if that doesn't help definitely call your OS and let him know. You can also use ice as a pain reliever. I iced for hours during the first month.
 
Hubby putnalarms on his phone so I would take the meds at the correct times. Now, I have learned there is an app for that!
 
GoodMorning Everyone,
Hope is going well for all, I have been having all kinds of trouble with by OS she is not the same OS I had with my
TRHR he was great when it came to pain management not this young women! I understand we have a serious problem here in the U.S. with drugs, but it seems some Doctors really go a little bit over board. Long story short I
have been in a battle with her for pain meds. I did not have this problem when I had my hip replaced. After surgery it was time to have my prescription refilled I have done everything I was suppose to,but I called and told
them I needed a refill and which clinic pharmacy to send it to. It took me three days before she refilled and on top of that she gave me one for 2 pills every 4 hours and gave me 60 pills which equates to 5 days of medicine.
It cost me 87.00 dollars because the insurance said it was not time because the one before was for gen days. If it is not for 30 days they do not cover. So here I was again needing my medication refilled she was going to do the same thing I told her PA I could not afford to pay that kind of money once a week, I had to tell her to fill it properly or I would speak with her Administrator. My surgery was just a little over two weeks ago. This time she refill for 120 pills 10/325 oxicodon one every 6 hours as needed. I even asked if she even knew how painful this surgery was. I really am frustrated has anyone else had this kind of problems?
 
That's rough when it is costing so much and such additional stress is not helpful after major surgery.

My surgeon will not send patients home on narcotics so I was going to go home with codeine and Paracetamol. However I can't take codeine so he gave me Tramadol which with Paracetamol and lots of ice was manageable. I was a bit surprised by the decision at the time but did ok. I thought it was even worse in the US and I am not sure in the UK if this is generally the way pain is managed after a knee replacement.

You could ask your doctor to try the Tramadol route as it's very effective taken with Paracetamol ( Tylenol). I believe Josephine has a schedule for taking the two.
 
I went home from rehab with a script for oxycodone. It was a large script so I had no need for a refill until my second surgery a month later. This is a discussion every surgical patient needs to have with their doctor post op. We've seen a few members with similar issues, especially recently. You can speak with your PCP about pain management if your OS isn't meeting your needs.
 
You could ask your doctor to try the Tramadol route as it's very effective taken with Paracetamol ( Tylenol). I believe Josephine has a schedule for taking the two.
That's a very good suggestion.
My surgeon was not allowed to prescribe the heavy-duty narcotics for more than two weeks, so I stepped down to the Tramadol-Tylenol combination and it worked well.

Here are Josephine's chats. The first one is for 4-hourly doses and the other is for 6-hourly. You should not exceed the totals at the bottom of each chart.
[Bonesmart.org] Not a new patient but I need help, lots of it


When it's time to come off Tramadol, wean off very slowly, to avoid unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.
 
Back
Top Bottom