TKR Norsk's Pre-Op

This is what one of our members suggested you say to your PT therapist:
  • I expect discomfort. I DO NOT expect actual significant pain.
  • The definition of what is painful is owned by me, not you.
  • When I say stop, we're crossing the line into pain. I expect you to immediately stop.
  • Trying to force me past the pain point or not listening to me will completely break my trust in you.
  • I want us to be partners in this. I'm willing to try almost anything, as long as I can continue to trust you.
  • If I trust you, I will go right up to the line between discomfort and pain. If I do not trust you, I will likely start tensing up as soon as any discomfort starts. At that point I may as well get a new therapist.
What a brilliant approach to the first visit with a PT. If that's not something they are comfortable with then I certainly wouldn't want them anywhere near me.
 
@kneeper, I can see more of what the role of the PT is through your response, and I am relieved that it can be a mutually respected partnership. I had the impression that they were there only to force you past your comfort zone in order to meet their goals, but it seems that some will listen and offer helpful support. Okay, whew! Thank you for your response.

@Jockette, you have put my concerns into perspective. It sounds like you had some of the same concerns during your PT that I was hearing about, but it sounds like the world did not explode and nothing bad happened after you started making your own decisions. I'll follow your example...I don't need to bulldoze them with my refusal to let them hurt me, I'll just be cool and trust that I have a say in what they do and how often they do it. Thank you for sharing your experience along the PT journey. I feel a lot better about it.

@Celle, yes, this is very helpful. It really is about trust! These examples of what to say are perfect. I can do that if the need comes up. My confidence is building already. Thank you!

@Carmencita, thank you for stopping by and sharing your well wishes for me. I appreciate it so much!

@FCBayern, thanks for sharing this and for your comment. This is absolutely a great way to engage with PT! I can heartily agree, but without my initial fear of what might happen. I feel realistically engaged and ready to give PT a try without the panic!
Thank you!

@FourCats, I'm glad you were interested in this topic, too. I hope it is as helpful to you as it is to me! Thanks for stopping by and participating!
 
Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom