TKR Non opioid recovery

Bless you, you do what you gotta do. Celebrex helped me with swelling. Haven't taken pain meds they just make me too sick, so it's ice and Tylenol. Hang in, it's going to get better.
 
I'm 12 weeks post op - I did not use any pain killers except Tylenol and Tylenol PM
I stopped Tramadol and Oxy after the first week when I stopped being able to taste food, was emotionally very compromised, and couldn't sleep! Low and behold I was having a reaction to the meds. I was perfectly fine for weeks after! No need for anything! Amazing. At 9 weeks I started having serious swell issues after PT that was too strenuous... ever since (week 12 now) I have major swell events! but that's for another thread! :) I'm a firm believer of less is more!
 
You just can't move the leg if you can't bend it.
What a true statement. We say you can't bend a water hose that full of water. Drain it out and you can. The same thing goes for your knee.
I can't use swearing as a pain control method, we are raising our grandchildren and I would go broke anteing up to the swear jar.
:rotfl:
 
Hi, I know it's been a while, but I'm still around, just been trying to do some research.
Problem is, I've only found rumors and hints. I have heard that there is a study that shows opioid use actually causes more pain. The study is supposed to claim that the way opioids interact with the brain's chemistry only reduces the pain for very short intervals and then tricks the brain into feeling even more pain than is actually there.

It also seems to show that the safer forms of pain relief, Tylenol, aspirin, etc. are actually more effective than previously thought. Of course, ice, elevation and rest, with even more emphasis on elevation than anyone seems to like, are critical to recovery. I use a foam wedge pillow and have even been known to sleep with it. It really helps with the swelling and has helped me with my left leg get at least 4 weeks ahead of where I had been with my recovery with my right leg.

I follow the belief that this my leg, my recovery and my pain, so no one else has a better idea of how to go about this recovery.
 
It sounds as if you know what you want. Good for you. You're 5 days ahead of me. You have a great ROM. I had a reduced dose of oramorph (2.5 mg) plus paracetemol in hospital, makes me nauseous otherwise. I came out with about 4 days of Co-dydramol, went on to 2 x 8/500 strength Co-codomol 4 times a day and yesterday substituted one of the Co-codomol with a paracetemol. I haven't noticed much difference in pain levels so am going to try just paracetemol. My pain hasn't been that bad. I've been fortunate. I'm icing and elevating for about 40 minutes 4-5 times a day. I start physio on Tuesday so guess I'll find what my ROM is then, but I'm ok with what I'm achieving. What helped me sleeping was pillows under my leg supporting the whole length of it.
 
I still sleep with my legs on my foam wedge, I’ve come to really like it!
I follow the believe that this my leg, my recovery and my pain, so no one else has a better idea of how to go about this recovery.
I agree with this I wish I’d had the confidence to put it into practice early in my recovery. I’ll know next time, though!
 
Amazing, just after my last post, I modified my search parameters and found this:
https://www.hss.edu/conditions_opioid-induced-hyperalgesia.asp
Basically this relates a condition where the long term use of opioids causes exactly the conditions I mentioned in the last post.
I do not know that I actually have OIH, but I am satisfied that it justifies my not using opioids, including now Tamanol.
 
That's a good article. Thank you for the link. You sound like you have a good idea of what works and what doesn't for your body. Each of us is different and paying attention to your own body is the best way to deal with things like pain. Hang in there and know that each week should bring improvements.
 
Interesting research. Glad I stuck to just paracetamol!
 
Oh yes I know that too. Rebound headaches are well known possibilities if paracetamol taken too long and in too large quantities. Headaches are most often due to dehydration so if I have one I have a long drink of water which usually does the trick. Luckily, I didn't need to take the paracetamol for long after the TKR. The swearing helps at times!
 
It also seems to show that the safer forms of pain relief, Tylenol, aspirin, etc. are actually more effective than previously thought.
I'd agree about the acetaminophen but not the aspirin. Aspirin is an NSAID which has some rather nasty side effects Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers

So the only true -non-opioid analgesic I know of is acetaminophen and for those who insist they never found it worked for them, I have found, time and time again, that it's because they aren't taking an effective, working dose which is 1,000mg.
 
So far I have only had one regret since finding this forum. And that is, I just can't reply/comment or even really read every single post, comment, reply. So if I miss you, please know, I'm with you.

One post in particular I feel I must reply to but, as I'm not quite smart enough to figure out how to highlight specific line out of a given post or reply: Josephine, I read part 1 of your story and can't really explain how much it means to me. I knew from the start that exercise didn't play quite as important a role as everyone else seems to think. Having that confirmed for me by someone of your experience, well that is just beyond value.
 
Don't worry, you're not alone. It took me a while and I still haven't grasped everything. There's some information here.
https://bonesmart.org/forum/view/how-to-use-this-forum.74/

You can find the link and others in the heading (in blue) and sub heading (under the blue) at the top of the page (I think there's a proper name for them, but either don't know or can't remember!)
 
And that is, I just can't reply/comment or even really read every single post, comment, reply.
You don't really need to. When you create a reply, just mention the members name, that's all. Then you can put them all in the one post!
Josephine, I read part 1 of your story and can't really explain how much it means to me. Having that confirmed for me by someone of your experience, well that is just beyond value.
I am most gratified that it's helped you so. Thank you for telling me.
 
Just a quick note. I am unable to take opioids of any kind as they cause reactions so severe my surgeon was worried they may kill me if used. So, I had to go opioid free after my revision, and my OS came up with a plan that actually worked which involved no pain medications other than OTC basic pain relief as needed. It was, to me, a miracle that it worked well and I got through recovery without the awful side-effects of past surgeries I had. I did post about it and you're welcome to read it. Good luck and I hope your pain abates soon.
 
Just a quick note.
Feeling more than a little washed out right now. Between the cold weather here and a little more than elevated blood pressure, I'm skipping today's PT session and just sleeping in!
 
I agree! Forget the PT. Listen to your body and let it heal itself.
 
Back
Top Bottom