Hello, Everyone:
It has been a very, very, long time since I have posted. First, the good news:
- 40 days on snow 2017-2018
- 50 datys on snow 2018-2019
- continued loss of weight
- two year post-operative visit June 2019 - all good
- BUT
- long story short - spondylolysis or spondylosis likely developed in december 2018 as noticed by fellow ski instructors when we dissect each other's skiing; thought i wrecked left knee
- then, thought the left hip was compromised
- then, june 2019, surgeon comments - "probably a labrum tear"
- and, august 2019, finally see his associate, "it's NOT your hip - it's your back, you need to see our spine specialist!!
- Spondylolisthesis L5 S1 Grade 1 in August 2019
- Today - October 2019 - grade two
- MRI and lumbar xrays all in the library
- Research and surgical reports are scattered all over the place regarding prognosis and treatment
Sooooooooooo, just as I am getting ready for annual appearance at Boston Ski Show and our Snowsports School dry land and on-snow training, this young pup is facing this................ ugh
Three 'consults' scheduled during next three weeks. Issues are decompression of L5 nerve root and stabilization of the L5 fracture without residual damage (s).
LOL - wish there was a vertebra store i could go shop for a new L5 vertebra and bring my "Scotty Dog" back.... (they call this a Scotty Dog fracture).
Granted this goes beyond knee/hip replacement. I am long overdue to share. For those who are early in the knee replacement process, please know that when the grace of God and all of our hard work comes together, there is life after knee replacements (s). I cannot be more pleased at me knee replacement outcomes. I did NOT anticipate this vertebra issue.
Will be making 'next' decision likely in less than thirty days. Am thinking I may not get 50 days on snow, this season. ugh. Be well, everyone. ~ Pat Doherty