TKR Nine weeks out and still limited ROM

Regarding a lumpy surgical scar, my physical therapist worked on gently massaging that area and working on the lumps and bumps. It totally worked and today it is a flat, fairly faint scar.
I was instructed on massaging my scar, it was easy and I did it almost constantly sitting at my desk when my hand was not otherwise needed. The scar is quite flat and as flexible as the surrounding skin.
 
I was instructed on massaging my scar, it was easy and I did it almost constantly sitting at my desk when my hand was not otherwise needed. The scar is quite flat and as flexible as the surrounding skin.
A PT massaged my lumpy left incision scar a couple times, but I found her actions uncomfortable and made her stop. The scar eventually went flat and smooth. I had RTKR a year later. That lumpy incision scar was never massaged or manipulated, and guess what? It is now just as flat, smooth, and flexible as the other one. The moral of my story? Well.. I don't have one, except do what feels right to you and don't stress out too much over your incision. It will heal.
 
There isn't any need to massage your scar. It's time, not massage, that makes your scar nice and smooth.
Left alone, all those lumps and bumps will even out, all by themselves.
Nature is pretty good at doing the job of healing.
 
@Celle
Thought it depended upon the type of scar (hypertrophic or other)? I am prone to lumpy scars and without help they can get to be very uncomfortable depending upon their location and if clothing rubs them. Perhaps I am unique but mine are much better with massage than without as I've had both from various surgeries and injuries. :)
 
my scar ejected fibrous junk for months as I massaged it. It also appeared to free an adhesion to the tendon below.
 
Back
Top Bottom