Guest viewing is limited

TKR Newkneesnc setback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find my original post and the site is acting weird tonight. Had been doing really well and was starting to stand on my knee longer and longer then had a setback today. I was trying to get up from the bed side commode by myself as my husband was on the phone and my knee popped. It was very painful. After the shock wore off i tried to bend it and move it and can still bend it but can't put weight on it again. My pt called and I told her what had happened and she thought maybe I had an adhesion that popped. I have been elevating and icing it since but I am in tears to think that I now have set my self back again. I was so proud of myself. Just really depressed.
 
Newkneesnc,
I would call the OS in the morning and let them know what happened. Keep elevating, icing, and medicating.
 
@newkneesnc .... I have merged your two recovery threads. Here are instructions to find your thread, should you need them. How can I find my threads and posts? Bookmark them to your favorites and you'll always have the guide close at hand.

You've had a bit of a rough start. I tend to agree with your therapist that the popping sound was probably an adhesion. I also think you should notify your surgeon tomorrow, though. And next time, hon....wait patiently for help until you are more steady on your feet!! I'm just glad you didn't fall.

I do have a question, though. Why is it that you are not walking with your knee? Is it pain? I'm wondering if you are undermedicating yourself for your pain since you are still very early in this recovery process.

Can you tell me exactly what you're taking for pain (med, strength, dosage and how often)? How often are you icing and for how long?

If you are trying to reduce pain meds to avoid constipation, that is not a good plan. You need to have pain properly managed in order to keep inflammation and swelling minimized. It's what allows you to do the gentle movements you need to do each day to keep the joint flexible as it heals. The problem with your constipation previously was not the pain meds. It was that your medical team didn't give you adequate stool softeners to combat it. Most people have some level of constipation when on prescription pain meds for any length of time. You would think that the doctors and nurses would know that and prescribe stool softeners for you. If you haven't read the article Jo left for you in Post #5, check it out and be sure you are doing what you need to so that you can take adequate pain meds.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom