Guest viewing is limited

THR NewHip19's Recovery Journey

thank you, @prairienut - over many years (now more than half my life) I have become thoroughly convinced that keeping a positive attitude even when things seem soooooo hard is the only way to go!
 
@GrannyC You are so right about this forum! I find that each time I go back to the guidelines the mods post, I learn more. And, the support of other members really buoys my spirits--something else to be grateful for and take in "for the journey."
It sounds like you are on the right path recovery. It’s great you realized what you did wrong and made the correction quickly. This forum is amazing so I’m glad you’ve found it. There is so much good information along with the support and encouragement we all need to recover. Keep us posted on your progress.
 
Progress Update - at 3 weeks, 4 days after surgery I am feeling pretty good. I'm walking with cane only and periodically walk short distances without it. I can drive and now have reached another milestone. I'm completely off opiods. I had not taken any for a few days but had a bit of a crisis last night. I woke up at 2 am and had some slight pain although my extra strength tylenol had not yet worn off. Main problem was, I felt very anxious and simply could not get back to sleep. I was SO tempted to go downstairs and dip into my plentiful supply of leftover oxycodone to help me sleep. Clearly it was not a pain issue, it was anxiety and not being able to get back to sleep. Realizing this, I had a talk with myself, the gist of which was "look, this is not about pain. You need to get into a state of relaxation somehow and get back to sleep." So, I worked on that and eventually got back to sleep.Kitty was helpful in that she came and snuggled with me. I slept until 6 am, feeling calm and with little pain that was easily relieved by the extra strength Tylenol. Had a great day and am feeling even more confident in my recovery.
This whole journey is, as many have discussed, a series of ups and downs, challenges and successes. If we can work through each one at a time, we can surmount our obstacles. I know that more clearly now.
 
Hi @NewHip19
I like your update! Thanks for posting.
You're doing very well at 3 1/2 weeks post op. It's nice that you're feeling confident in your recovery.
Recovery definitely has its ups and downs and once you realize ALL of it is temporary, it seems to make it easier. May each day feel brighter than the last. :SUNsmile:
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
 
You are doing just great.:) :-) (:
Our body...and mind undergo some major changes with this surgery...that's how it felt to me anyway.
Oh, the places we will go!
Hope your Sunday is sweet.
 
Main problem was, I felt very anxious and simply could not get back to sleep.
Some of our members report experiencing slight withdrawal symptoms when weaning off the heavier medication. Sounds like you may have had that problem. This should ease pretty quickly.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a nice week so far and noticing progress.
Wishing you a great rest of the week. Stay in touch. :)
@NewHip19
 
Thanks for following up and noting my one month anniversary @Layla
I'm continuing to do well and make progress on my mobility. I've been practicing walking without the cane indoors and doing slightly longer walks in the city with the gain. My main concern right now is that I would like to be able to resume an active sex life but I am afraid. I also note that my hip seems tight and does not move fully in all directions without pain. I'd appreciate any advice on the subject.
 
@Jaycey yes, I did look through those and found some helpful tips. One helpful tip was, "right now it's about you, it's not about him," which applies to my situation as hubby is so eager to resume that I now feel pressured. At the same time, I don't feel ready yet but feel bad that I don't as I always want to "achieve" and be at the most advanced level of anything I do. So, it really is a psychological thing...and I do have a lot of fear about it. At the same time, the physical tightness of structures around my hip joint, which causes pain when I attempt to stretch is worrysome. Despite all my reading on the subject (and yes, I read every one of the post in all of those forums), I can't seem to get beyond my fear to develop an action plan which is what I typically do whenever I come up against a stumbling block of any kind.
 
One helpful tip was, "right now it's about you, it's not about him," which applies to my situation as hubby is so eager to resume that I now feel pressured

Try not to feel pressured to engage if you're not comfortable. You're only 4 weeks out from major surgery.
It would be different if it was your hand, or foot that was surgically altered but that's not the case. I would hope your husband will respect your feelings without pressuring you until you let him know you're ready. There are many ways to be intimate without getting into a position that is uncomfortable or unpleasant. I can't imagine either of you gaining much satisfaction if you're painfully miserable.

Consider touching base with your surgeon about the pain you're experiencing. I'm sure it's a normal part of the healing process but you may need some reassurance from your doctor, or member of his care team, along with advice on whether it's safe to resume intimacy based on how you're feeling physically.

A great rest of the week to you!
@NewHip19
 
I totally agree with Layla - please do not feel pressured. Very early days for you.

Are you icing and elevating your op leg. The tightness is internal swelling that causes pain. Icing will reduce this inflammation. Ice 45-60 minutes several times per day.
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Stopping by to say :hi: and see how you're doing since you last posted.
Let us know next time you stop by. We'd love to read about your progress.
I hope you have a wonderful Spring / Summer 2019!
@NewHip19
 
thanks for checking in @Layla
I had a great 7 week follow-up, surgeon said I was ahead of the game. I got back to doing everything pretty normally, but then this past Friday I had a misstep going down the stairs in my house and dropped 2 steps down, onto my operated leg with full weight. Pain was very bad for a few days but now much better, I can weight bear, stand, and move around much better. I have an xray scheduled at surgeon's office this Thursday so of course am anxious to find out what that will show.
 
Good Morning :wave:
That misstep sounds awful. I imagine that would hurt!
It's good to hear the pain has eased. Let us know how the x-ray goes on Thursday.
I hope nothing but a good report. :fingersx: :prayer:
Have a wonderful Tuesday!
@NewHip19
 
All clear! Got xrays and saw my operating surgeon on Thursday. While waiting in the examining room, I took a picture of the new xray (conveniently displayed on his desktop) and compared it with the photo I'd taken of my 7 week follow-up xray. They were exactly the same, so I knew right then and there all was ok! After emphasizing there was no damage, he exclaimed, "these things are STRONG!" and we agreed that the 14 in drop landing directly on the operating leg with full weight was a testament to that. I left there feeling ever so grateful (and still feel that way). Now, I can continue moving forward. All good!
 
Wonderful news! I'm happy you're relieved. It's a good feeling.
Stay in touch and have a great weekend!
@NewHip19
 
Hi there :hi:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope all is going well with you. We'd love to hear an update when you have time.
Wishing you all the best as you continue healing!
@NewHip19
 
Four months already today! Happy Anniversary :yay:
We'd love to read about your progress if you have time to share. It's great for those following behind you to see how quickly we can bounce back. Hopefully all is going well on your healing journey.
Have a great rest of the week!
@NewHip19
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom