TKR Newbie Here, but 2 months Post Op

Welcome to BoneSmart, @LemonCheesecake. :welome: Glad you found us!

Please let us know the exact date of your surgery, whether it was the left or right knee and whether it was a total or partial. We'll create a signature for you that will help our staff and other members chat with you about your recovery.

It sounds like you are doing well, but since you are still in the early days of this year-long recovery, I will share our Recovery Guidelines. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Just keep in mind we are all different, as are the approaches to this recovery and rehab. The key is, “Find what works for you.“ Your doctors, PTs and BoneSmart are available to help, but you are the final judge as to the recovery approach you choose.

KNEE RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
don't overwork.
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
the BoneSmart view on exercise
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for TKRs
The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you, Benne68. My surgery date was November 30th, 2022, for my right knee. I look forward to reading the articles. I do not have my usual energy back, and that in itself is frustrating. I'm relieved to know there is "energy drain for TKRs".

Welcome to Bonesmart! It sounds like you are off to a good start.

Thank you, Benne68. My surgery date was November 30th, 2022, for my right knee. I look forward to reading the articles. I do not have my usual energy back, and that in itself is frustrating. I'm relieved to know there is "energy drain for TKRs".
Hi Lemon - congrats on what sounds like a good recovery! I had my left knee done 11/8…and I,m feeling overall so decent, I think maybe I forget that there IS a recovery period. At least that’s what your 'energy' comment made me realize because although I'm sleeping better than I have in ages, I am so weary by the end of most days. So maybe I do just need to remember to cut myself some slack.

Hello Arjay and Axx72, thank you for your encouraging words. Arjay, you are three weeks ahead of me post-op and are improving all the time, but at the end of the day, still feel more tired than your usual self. My recovery is also good but slow, as expected. Glad to hear you are sleeping better, and to me that means your knee isn't hurting at the level of 2 or 3 which will wake you up. Yes, we need to cut ourselves a bit of slack. Axx72, you are about 10 months out-- awesome!
My husband and I are planning a Hobie Cat 14 sailing vacation when I will be almost six months post-op-- something to look forward to. We are avid sailors of small boats.

Hello and Welcome to BoneSmart. Thanks for joining us!
My husband and I are planning a Hobie Cat 14 sailing vacation when I will be almost six months post-op-something to look forward to. We are avid sailors of small boats.
How exciting and what and adventure to look forward to in a few months.
Best Wishes as you continue healing! :)

My husband and I are planning a Hobie Cat 14 sailing vacation when I will be almost six months post-op-- something to look forward to.
My husband and I are sailors as well. You should be well enough recovered to climb on and off the boat at the six-month mark. I remember feeling a bit unsure of my surgical knee the first few times out, but quickly got back my "sea legs."

Where will you be sailing on vacation?

Hello, Benne68. I'm thrilled to meet another sailor. My husband (a CPA who loves a break after tax season which ends this year on May 15) and I will head to Biscayne Bay, Miami. The Hobie Cat rental spot is conveniently located on the causeway (what Floridians call highways) to Key Biscayne. We are going to take a lesson on the first day out because we haven't sailed a Hobie in years. We usually sail a (rented) J-22 on Newport Harbor, California. With a Hobie, sitting on the tramp is a bit more challenging. My physical therapist advises to wear a simple, light weight knee brace. Thanks for your encouraging words.

That sounds like great fun, @LemonCheesecake! It's probably like riding a bike -- comes back naturally!

Sailing is such fun! We live just a couple of miles from Long Island Sound, and belong to a Sailing Club with six Pearson Ensigns (very similar to your J-22), which are great for daysailing.

Just here to say I'm jealous of the sailing vaykay LOL
I was feeling great at 6 mos post op with first tkr.
Good luck in your recovery!

You've found the right place--we all understand the ups and downs of TKR recovery.

Hello and Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Your upcoming sailing adventure sure sounds like something fun to look forward to. I hope you and hubby enjoy!
@LemonCheesecake

Happy Four Month Anniversary, Lemon Cheesecake!
I hope you're enjoying steady progress with your new knee.
Take good care and enjoy your vacay in May. :)
@LemonCheesecake

How are you doing, @LemonCheesecake? I see you just passed your six month anKneeversary. It's been a while since you checked in. Would love to know how your recovery is progressing and whether you've been out sailing on the new knee yet.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
galvesean