Guest viewing is limited

TKR New Year, New Knee - Jan. 3, 2017<

I hear you!!! It seems like the little baby steps seem not enough sometimes. I guess we need to find a lot more patience. I went to OS today, and the walk to the office is a distance, and it is the first time I didn't use a wheelchair. The 3 times I went before surgery, I needed a chair, and 4 weeks ago I did. This time I didn't. I seems like such a slow process, until I remember how bad it was before.
 
Have I read from forum advisors that it is advised not to have any weight on a 7 week knee while doing leg lifts?

Either way, I followed a BoneSmartie mantra... PT put a 1 lb weight on my ankle for leg lifts on Monday. I seemed extra pained Mon. night and I was extra pained last night (but I think from extra steps yesterday). Today, I told him that and said I felt it was from the weights. Good man that he is, we used no weight today. :)

Also, im not purposely pushing for more steps (I've always worn a Fitbit previously) but I wear an Apple Watch and I've hit a post TKR step record yesterday and now today, passed that as well. Must be from trying on these mother of the bride dresses on my couch and walking into the bathroom to have a look lol... 3,700 steps yesterday and 4,198 steps today.
 
My PTs wouldn't use weights on me until 4 months. I bet the night pain was due to the weights. Its too early to start strength training. You really need to wait until the knee is healed more.
 
Have I read from forum advisers that it is advised not to have any weight on a 7 week knee while doing leg lifts?

You sure have! No weights at all, for whatever reason, until at least 3 months, and then only very small weights.

In any case, once you can do leg lifts, you really don't need to keep doing them. It sounds as if your PT is starting to concentrate on strength training, which should also wait until at least 12 weeks.
 
Yes...The stiffness is so annoying. I get up in the morning and do my stretches and exercises before going to work, and I feel so good. My ROM is great at 120 now, and my extension is still at 1, but not even an hour on my feet and the stiffness returns with a vengeance! It literally feels like I have a concrete leg. I don't understand how I can slide my foot at 120 degrees and straighten it out, but still gets so stiff so quickly. This is the only thing in my recovery that I struggle with besides walking up stairs without a railing. My leg muscle isn't strong enough for that yet. Also, has anyone ever had an itchy rash around their scar? It's tiny little goose bump like rash that's super itchy. My scar is healing great and there's no redness around it. Just these pesky little dots (rash). I applied cortisone cream for the itch. Nothing on the other leg.
 
Trying on the mother of the bride dresses can up your activity for sure. 2 of my daughters got married within 1 months of each other. That was fun(not).

Keep away from weights for now. You'll have time for them in the future. You are doing very well.
 
:idea:I am so glad the cling wrap worked well for you! I was sceptical but it has been a godsend for me. 7 1/2 hours sleep - you must feel like a new woman!
 
7 1/2 hours in a row is phenomenal! I wish I could do that. I'm jealous, but it's not my knee waking me up. It's my bladder. :heehee:
 
Yes, I a am wrapped and drugged. 1 Tramadol + 1 Tylenol + 1 Tylenol PM
:yahoo:
@sistersinhim I kinda woke up at midnight and thought, I don't need to p, and I would be afraid I might be dizzy from the Tylenol pm so I instantly fell back to sleep lol

@DebM Yes! Isn't it amazing what a good nights sleep does

Okay, let's give it a try again.
:sleep:
 
This past Tuesday marked 8 weeks for me.
I had my 2 month follow up visit with my OS today. I've learned something since I was there 4 weeks ago - keep the knee moving while waiting for the doc. lol. This way, when he came in, it moved freely. He was very happy with my progress. I'm to return in 6 weeks. On the current script, I have 2 weeks of PT left. I asked about 2 days instead of 3 and my OS felt that was perfectly fine at this point. This gives me the other days to visit my gym and hang out in the pool. He told me if I felt more PT is needed, just give him a call. Same thing with the Tramadol. He said the pain I'm feeling now is primarily healing bone. That's what I thought too - it's the shin area below the knee (after seeing the stem and the screws he put in there - I can totally understand!)

It was such a good visit with the OS and this afternoon I had a good visit with PT - That all makes one feel sooooo good, and then you remember that you're still at the beginning of this journey! That's okay though - the worst part of this journey is history.

Looking forward to using my extra day off from PT at the pool to get my own PT. Gentle walking, stretching and some other water exercise for the other parts of my body! Another water aerobic friend had her TKR on the same day as me so while we await being ready for class again, we are going to meet up at the pool. I can swim freestyle very well without any kicking. I swam 8 laps (200 yards) yesterday and the mental healing was wonderful. Of course, my first day back at the pool and I just had to leave my swimsuit there.

Still taking Tylenol around the clock and have just recently (yesterday) started taking 1-50mg Tramadol every 12 hours instead of every 8-9 hours. Hoping for 2 pills (Tramadol) a day instead of 3.

Oh, and my OS said I could ride my horse again after 3 months as long as I have a mounting block!! Of course I have a mounting block and a patio that we mount from - I'm not some young chicken anymore ha ha!
 
What good news! You have been doing really well and it shows! Enjoy that pool. I love it, too!
 
Great news!!! The real hard part is over. Now it is time to start living again!!!!
 
Slept upstairs last night in my own bed. It was wonderful!

However, here I just told my OS on Friday how I no longer get that shooting pain coming out of the right side of my knee when I'm just laying here - but oh no... I spoke too soon. It's happening! And...I even took an extra pain pill this afternoon. Earlier today, I had 8 zingers on the left side of my knee where its numb. Guess I'll just be happy that I can feel my leg.

This happened the other day - you feel your knee itch and when you go to scratch you discover that's the numb part. How in the world did it itch if it's numb?
 
The zingers you are feeling are your nerves healing, same for the itch. Scratch the itch carefully, to avoid damage to your skin.
 
You've made a lot of progress in the last 4 weeks. That's great!

All these weird feelings - zingers and itches - are signs that your body is going on with its work of healing your knee.

Here's to continued, steady progress. :cheers: (Where's the smiley for sharing a glass of wine?) :heehee:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom