PKR New partial knee replacement done today.

I seem to be doing OK, although it isn’t exactly linear.
I have really good days, days like yesterday when I feel I have been set in stone, and I even had one day of total exhaustion this Monday, although I had had family over for the weekend!
On the whole, however, I am doing well. I can walk around town at least in a limited way, I can keep up with my household chores, and I managed a full Tesco shop last week.
I am starting to feel that I am becoming myself again which is wonderful, and no more surgery to look forward too,
 
Glad to read that you are feeling more like yourself, @ladyj! And yes, that good day-tough day roller coaster is totally normal at 3 months post-op. Hopefully the tough days are becoming less frequent.
:flwrysmile:
 
am starting to feel that I am becoming myself again which is wonderful, and no more surgery to look forward too
That is great news!
 
Rather reassured by your comments. Nice to know I am not just a wimp!
I feel much more “level” than I did.
I think all my joints are where they should be and I am much more stable.
I remember my Granny being riddled with arthritis. We are all so lucky to have these wonderful surgeons and prosthesis available to us.
 
Yes, three months is still early days!
We hit great milestones a few months out, but sometimes it just knocks us back a day or two - this will likely be a pattern for another few months.
 
remember my Granny being riddled with arthritis. We are all so lucky to have these wonderful surgeons and prosthesis available to us.
You are so right. My grandmother was disabled by arthritis. My mother had two knee replacements in late life ( 70s and 80s) and although they helped with pain, her mobility wasn't great. The surgery is so much better these days.
 
I am at nearly six months now and have been doing much more, visiting stately homes etc.
I walked about a mile, with stops, a couple of weeks ago, and since then the back of my knee has been very painful.
I feel sure that nothing major is going on, but I wondered just how long these set backs keep going for.
 
Are you still icing and elevating- especially after a particularly busy day?
Around six months can be tricky as it is a bit of a tight rope between doing more/ building up muscle again and overdoing things and overstressing the still healing knee.
 
I am now, that lesson. well learned.
I think I was hoping for a miracle. I keep telling myself off.
I have had. a new knee and a new hip in eighteen months, and consequently had no level of fitness at the start.
I am also 73 years old.
I think all this is going to take more time,

Just checking in for a bit of reassurance really.
 
I think taking the long view is really important- it is definitely a marathon and not a sprint. That doesn't mean you can't get fitness back but the risk is that a lot of people do too much early on and then get put off and do too little later.
I will be two years from my PKR in October and I still do regular pilates sessions 3-4 times/ week for my glutes/ quads and back. I do have an incentive because I have bad lumbar arthritis/ spinal stenosis and I get sciatica if I don't keep strengthening my back and legs.
 
Remember that at 6 months you are only halfway through this yearlong+ healing. It sounds like you are doing great! Many of us could not do what you are doing at only 6 months.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom