Guest viewing is limited

TKR New pain 9 weeks out!<

@Crazedred
As I understand it, you have been back to see your surgeon or his PA and have been told that the problem is with patellar tracking. If that's the cause of your pain, it may be possible for a PT to tape your knee, so that the patella tracks properly. That does work for some people.

I don't think that poor patella tracking would cause the degree of pain you seem to be having, though.

You told Josephine that your pain was a 3 to 4. Has it got worse since then?

I'm going to ask @Josephine to read your last few posts and advise you again, since the situation seems to have changed a bit.
 
I will comment when you've answered Celle's question which is a relevant one.
 
My pain level hasn’t budged much from a 3-4. I agree that it’s not right. Sometimes it’s much higher, especially when trying to get up from being seated or moving in bed from a bent knee position to a straight knee position at this time, there is deep stabbing pain and a lot of crepitus. And pain is often 7-8.

The ortho seems to think that poorly trimmed bone is impeding the patellar tracking and causing the pain. I’m not certain what to think. The PA was hung no on more PT and probably MUA. But the OS was not at all. Cancelled PT and is more concerned about excess bone. PT has been working with the patella for a month to no avail. He thinks it’s arthrofibrosis.

I’m just confused, sore and frustrated.

Thank you for checking in
 
I'd agree with the surgeon - likely to be patellar maltracking from some cause or other.
Certainly not arthrofibrosis!
 
Susie, I am so limited by excruciating pain that the surgery would trim bone that is keeping me from walking, sitting, and even sleeping without pain.

My pain level hasn’t budged much from a 3-4.

This just doesn't make sense. In one post you say you have "excruciating pain" and in another you say it hasn't budged much from a 3-4. Please can you explain more fully?
Any pain that is excruciating has to be much more than a 3-4, more like an 8-9 -- and so, has this pain got worse recently?
 
When I’m sitting still, my pain level is a 3-4. When I stand or straighten my leg, it’s excrutiating and goes to a 7-8. I’m sorry. That was very confusing. So the OS wants to trim bone.

And, yess, the pain had stayed a 3-4 for the first 6-7 weeks, with diminishing doses of narcotic. About three weeks ago, the pain, crepitus and cracking started
 
The ortho seems to think that poorly trimmed bone is impeding the patellar tracking and causing the pain.
So, is he saying that there has been new bone growth, or that he didn't trim the bone adequately at first?
In that case, I would have expected the pain to have been present from the start, instead of which it increased (with accompanying cracking and crepitus) about 3 weeks ago.
 
And I would agree. I’m so confused because while the pain lingered, the crepitus and increased pain is about three weeks old. So, I’ll s it a new problem or is it showing up because of increased ROM and decreased swelling? I see OS in a week on July 12. Maybe he can explain more then.
 
13 weeks out, I have bone that needs trimming (I don’t know the origin, whether new growth or poorly trimmed from the start). Also, a large amount of scar tissue that is under the patellar button and on the new knee, preventing patellar tracking. Two weeks of rest, ice and elevation haven’t achieved anything. Arthroscopic removal of osteophyte and debridement on Wednesday. I’m really devastated.
 
I'm sorry to read you have to go through this. I wish you lots of luck on Wednesday. Come back and let us know how you are.
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Today I had an Arthroscopy. The diagnosis was arthrofibrosis. :(
 
Hopefully this will solve your problem. :console2:
 
I'm sorry to read about the arthrofibrosis, but at least you know what is causing your pain. :console2: Has the surgeon devised a plan for how to deal with this?
 
The surgeon indicated that the scope should help this, and recommended very gentle PT and a lot of rest and ice. I’m using a walker for a while, but have full weight bearing as tolerated. Taking the bulky dressing off today and putting on a TED stocking. The former surgeon was all about pushing in therapy, which probably caused more problems than it solved! Hoping the kinder, gentler approach will work. Also working hard on pain management, which was lacking formerly. Refused to let the original doc work on me a second time. Hoping for a better outcome this time!
 
@Crazedred - what date did you have the arthroscopy and removal of arthrofibrosis? I can add that to your signature if you tell us.
 
Thank you. :flwrysmile:
I've added that to your signature.
 
Hi Crazedred. Sorry you are in pain. I know it is frustrating for you, I think we all experience some level of this somewhere in our recovery. You have helped me out a great deal. I am almost 8 weeks out seems last couple days having pain mostly at night. Listening to all the great info you have brought up I have to thank you for helping me
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom