THR New November Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, Janet! So sweet of you. Gave me a laugh, too! And, hey, I so encourage you to give yoga a try. It's wonderful! And addictive-lol.
 
You're quite welcome. I was there anyway, and he seemed quite excited to have someone asking about it. And yeah...I might try. :)
 
Hi katy, I ditched my walker after about a week and started using a cane. My OS said my hip was full weight bearing as pain allowed, but I found I couldn't walk without a severe limp. My pt said use the cane, because I needed to get my leg strong so I wouldn't have a limp. I also found I didn't put a lot of weight on the cane, but is mostly for balance. At 5 weeks, my OS said try navigating the house without the cane, but use it when walking outside.
 
Oh brother. I was great until a few hours ago. And I need some input here because this has sure brought me down.
Went to my MD today for my 3 week check. He said I'm doing amazingly. Barely need the cane (only when I'm out for long periods of time), my PT is going great. I have been unbelievably happy. Pain free for the first time in years. I was going to post the most awesome update tonight.
And then....
Late this afternoon, I noticed that I was having frequency but unable to pee much. I had noticed the same thing a bit yesterday but ignored it and just drank more water. What concerned me was a spasm-y pain in the front of my pelvis (kind of where the urethra is). I had noticed that yesterday, too, but attributed it to gas. The pain meds had been causing constipation and I had really been working on eating prunes, bran, etc. so after things "loosened up " yesterday, I thought I just had gas. Well, this afternoon, I thought something isn't right, I shouldn't still be hurting, and I noticed I had a low-grade fever. So, of course, too late to go back to the clinic (5 PM) and tomorrow is Friday before Christmas so they suggested I go to Urgent Care, where I waited for 3 hours tonight to have them check my urine. They didn't see anything that stood out so they are doing a culture that won't be ready until Monday. The MD at Urgent Care is concerned that it could be caused by diverticulitis and to be on the safe side, put me on Cipro and Flagyl. I never take any of these meds and I am so concerned that it's just going to make things worse. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. I'm pretty down in the dumps tonight.
Thanks for asking...
 
Hi Katy

Sounds like the Doctor is covering all bases for you with both drugs, in particular with the Cipro whose generic name is Ciprofloxacin which is used alone or in combination with other antibacterial drugs in the empiric treatment of infections for which the bacterial pathogen has not been identified, including urinary tract infections..

Often the urine test doesn't show up anything until it is cultured but as you can see Cipro is used where a bacterial pathogen has not been identified yet..

I had a urinary tract infection without realizing it early in my post op days. Once they get the result of the culture, they may change the antibiotic to suit..

But for now, you have antibiotic cover and that is the main thing :)
 
Thanks, Poppet.
Helps to know that someone else has been through this and that it turned out fine. I have been so worried about all that was said about the dangers of infection after surgery.
And then I have heard troubling things about Flagyl, too, which is being included in case it's diverticulitis and not a uti. A friend suggested eating a lot of probiotic yogurts and things to keep the bacteria balanced in the gut. Do you know anything about that? The culture should be done by Monday and the MD will take me off flagyl if it comes in as an identified uti.
It's really comforting to have this forum. Thanks for being there.
~Katy
 
Update at 5.5 weeks: Well, as it turns out, I did have severe diverticulitis and was unbelievably sick in bed for all of Christmas:-( I couldn't get up for a solid week. Stopped ALL pain meds, as they seemed to be contributing to the colon problem.The good news is that the antibiotics (sick as they made me) did the job and I am well now and back on my road to recovery. I'm feeling strong and able to walk a mile or more. I am not using a cane and do not have a limp. The PT has me doing strengthening exercises and bicycle, too. I am so grateful to be feeling better and doing well.
I do have a question...When I first stand up from sitting or lying down, my hip feels a little achy and weak until I take about three steps. Then I seem to be fine. My PT says this will go away as I get stronger. Have others found this to be the case? Thanks!
Happy New Year and best wishes to all,
~Katy
 
You poor thing! What a miserable way to spend the holidays, but at least you are back on the mend now.
That "start up" pain you're having seems to be very, very common, regardless of surgical approach. It gets better with time. There was quite a discussion about this on another thread recently. I'll see if I can find it....
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/1-month-stiffness-pain-after-sitting.17604/
 
Thanks for the info, Sissy! Helps to know :-)
 
Glad to hear things are progressing. The only thing my doctor tells from day one is: just don't fall. You found a good place for support. I love reading everyones journey. It is like been there done that before you reasurance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom