TKR New member

You're welcome, Jayne!
Thanks for the response / update. Patience can be hard to come by, but it sounds like you're doing well as your body is still healing and will continue to in the coming weeks and months. Hang in there better days coming in the new year! Hope your holiday season is all you want it to be. :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
@Jayne1
 
Hi everyone. I hope you are all well and getting ready for a lovely Christmas.
I have a question about stairs. How do you know when you can walk up and down them normally again? I still do the one leg up or down and the other to join it (I hope that makes sense!).
My update is that my flexion is still at about 90 but this is definitely because of swelling within the knee so trying not to worry about it. My extension is almost there, which is great as I haven’t been able to straighten my leg for about 5 years due to the arthritis.
With all the preparation for Christmas I must be on my feet a bit too much as my leg is less comfortable. I must remember to ice and elevate more!
Happy Christmas and a peaceful New Year to everyone :christmas-carols-smiley-emoticon:
 
I still do the one leg up or down and the other to join it (I hope that makes sense!).
Yes, it does make sense! We often refer to it as "toddler style" since that's how toddlers navigate stairs. :)

The struggle is real and normal for many. Navigating stairs requires strength, good balance and coordination and it can feel very intimidating post joint replacement. It takes time. Usually your quads are weak post op, your balance may feel slightly off, you have limited ROM and possibly stiffness all making it more difficult. Keep working on strengthening exercises to strengthen the knee. If you're in PT they will be able to help you on a smaller staircase. Practice daily to develop confidence, at least that's what I did early on. It can take time, but you'll get there!

Happy Christmas to you too! Thanks for sharing your recovery with all. We appreciate it. Jayne! :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
With my first knee replacement it took me 3 years, and until I could hike 10 miles with 5,000 feet elevation change up and down, until I got past the tight band. On my left knee replacement (3 months ago), I never had the tight band feeling at all. That shows it is probably between 0 weeks and 3 years.

I think that the more muscle development you can have in your legs, the better, in every way, but increase gradually: See first post by Jockette underneath your post in the Activity Progression article. My getting over the tight band feeling on the 1st was exactly on the day I hiked 10 miles, 5,000 feet up and 5,000 feet down, but the reason why it happened that day, I don't know. Maybe it was the knee bending, or increase in muscles, or ??

Before my second knee replacement I was doing a lot of hiking, so went into surgery with well-developed muscles. That may be why I did not get "the band" feeling the second time. Or maybe there was a difference in the surgery, even though I had the same surgeon. The first surgery used a replacement knee type that conserves the cruciate ligaments, so maybe there was extra support added by the surgeon for that knee. I really did not like the feeling of a band around my knee, but by the time it stopped, I had gotten totally used to it feeling that way.

With the first knee, my replacement knee felt alien to my body, but eventually it became part of me. The more time passes, and the closer you get to full activity level, the less you will be bothered by residual elements that do not feel quite the same as before surgery. My knees are stronger and more capable, as yours is already, just by virtue of having been replaced.
 
Stairs are difficult for just about everyone, especially going down them. The best way to do them is to go down with the surgical leg first. This puts less stress on it. The timeframe for being able to do the stairs is different for everyone and no set time limit. Your knee is different because it's your knee!
 
Thank you for all of your advice which is invaluable as always. I had a PT session this morning and he wants me to ice as often as possible for 20 mins at a time and take ibuprofen regularly to reduce the swelling within the knee. Also to massage the scar with bio oil as that’s tight as well. Then some gentle exercises to slowly increase flexion. He also showed me how I can slowly start using the stairs like an adult rather than a toddler! I’ll get there slowly but surely! :dancy:
 
He also showed me how I can slowly start using the stairs like an adult rather than a toddler
It's a good feeling when you can finally do the stairs "normally," isn't it. Just know that it takes most of us time to get comfortable on stairs again. With my first TKR, I could not descend normally until I was about six months post-op. You will get there!
 
Yes it is! I’ve tried going upstairs normally and am pleased that I can do that. Going downstairs is another matter as my knee is tight but it’s still early days.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Jayne!
I hope you had a nice Christmas and enjoyed the holiday season.
Onto a new year...Happy 2025, hope it's a great year for you!
@Jayne1
 
Thank you Layla, and a Happy New Year to you too!
I had a lovely Christmas thank you with the family and dogs. Still got swelling on the outside of my knee with restricted ROM but I’m continuing the advice from my PT with icing, ibuprofen and gentle bends and stretches. Pretty much getting on with normal life now though . (Apart from the toddler walk going downstairs still!).
I keep reading people’s stories on here and your advice. It really does help me to remember that patience and allowing yourself time to heal is what’s really needed.
I hope everyone has a great 2025 :flwrysmile:
 
@Jayne1 - I’ve really enjoyed reading your comments. Lots of helpful comments. My op was on 17th September 24 and I’m still using the toddler walk going up and down the stairs. I have a double handrail which is a great help, but it can be a problem when I go somewhere that only has the one rail! I still have the dreaded band, but it’s more on the outside of my knee and that’s where most of the swelling seems to be. My GP has decided to reduce my pain meds which is a bit annoying as my other knee is bone on bone so that one always hurts as well. I was advised taking extra Ibuprofen as well may help, but I’m asthmatic so not advisable, but really helps with the pain. Are you still taking some pain meds? Take care, Happy New Year, and wishing you a good recovery.
 
Hi @ouchie! Thank you so much for your kind comments. I still have the tight band like you. My surgeon told me the swelling would be on the outside of the leg along with the numbness which is exactly where it is. He also said it can take months for the swelling to go down so I think we’re very normal! I don’t really take painkillers for my knee but I guess the ibuprofen to reduce the swelling is helping anyway. Other than that it would just be paracetamol. It’s a shame your GP is reducing your pain meds if you still need them. Are you going to get your other knee done as well?
 
Hi @Jayne1 , yes the numbness is on the outer side of my knee too, but that is reducing and am getting less numbness now although it still feels weird. I will be getting the other one done. I was hoping in the summer (can’t face it before) but I’ve got my nieces wedding in August so I don’t want to be hobbling about for that or try to cope with all the sitting on a chair for too long. Looking at September. I am dreading it as those first few weeks are so ghastly, but at least I know what to expect. Nice chatting to you.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom