TKR New member, muddling my way through...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The stamina issues are a factor of having major surgery primarily. You will get it back, but it just takes time....weeks and even months sometimes. It will return gradually so you'll start to feel better and better as the weeks pass.

There are exercises specifically for extension here. Walking is good, but you don't want to walk so much that you cause yourself pain and swelling.

You are right that the "window of opportunity" is not true with joint replacement surgery. It's just not proven out with our members and a great deal of the medical community. No back up that philosophy either. We have real live BoneSmarties who gain ROM even years after surgery.

I commend you for being assertive and a partner in your recovery. You are doing the right thing by listening to your body.....it will tell you when you're pushing too hard and when you are ready to move to another level. Good job!!
 
Great to hear you found another therapist. Hope it goes well for you.
I have one more session with my aggressive PT tomorrow, and then I'll start outpatient PT next week.
Haven't decided yet where I will go.
Best Wishes,
Karen
 
I found that the stamina to do things like round the house , go out for coffee stared to come back gradually. But just one thing a day, as your PT is doing, tired me out. So you are doing really well and really at this stage you wouldn't be doing too much more. It will come. Are you eating well because that really helped me as I didn't eat much for the first month, no appetite, but when it returned I felt much better? Your sleep patterns are also probably not back to normal.
Take care, take it slowly and great news on the PT.
 
the right PT is one who knows what they are doing but does not force you to the point of pain..I sometimes think that PT's associated with the Physicians practice are more about billing than care....My PT's were more about showing me what to do on my own and kicked me out quickly once they knew I was committed to therapy and did not need to sit there and watch me work.....

Vinny
 
I'm glad this PT is working out. Sounds like you're doing great and it's early days.
 
Stamina does just take awhile to come back. I found it so frustrating to be exhausted over doing something like cleaning the kitchen, but it takes the body awhile to heal and recover. Just time. One day at a time.

I do love walking as a recovery vehicle, and swimming for building all over strength. Short stints at first, of course, then a little bit more as you can tolerate it.
 
I have such a hard time standing - my surgery knee really hurts when I put weight on it for very long. I assume that will improve as I heal. And my sleeping is not great yet but I have slept 5-6 hours straight the last couple of nights. I try to nap to make up the difference.
I had my 2nd session with my new PT today and I actually enjoyed the exercise - it felt good to move and stretch gently. My knee aches tonight so I will back off a little at my next session. Fortunately I made it clear when I started with this new PT that I needed her to respond to my limits, so I don't foresee any problems.
Every day is a little bit better.
Kiki in VA
 
All pretty good then. Sounds as if you are doing well. The sleep is better than most I've read about- 5-6 hours at your stage is great. Standing can be difficult but early days yet. Your PT is working with you in the way you want so that's all good.
This takes time , boring but necessary. But will pay off in the end.
 
@Cello luv ....Kiki you did not mention ICE the wonder drug.......FYI Yo Yo Ma gave an incredible concert in Bermuda this week.....

Vinny
 
How often should I be icing at 4+ weeks post op? On a regular schedule or just as needed?
(@vinny - I read about the Ma concert. I assume you attended? How wonderful!)
Kiki in VA
 
He was brilliant both personally and professionally......I am 12 weeks out and still ice every morning with my coffee and every evening when I return home from work.....sometimes out of habit and others if I have walked the golf course or done something strenuous ....at 4 weeks you would still have some residual swelling...plus it feels good and a big reason I did not need any pain meds after leaving hospital....

Vinny
 
I'm with Vinny on this one. I iced about 16 hours a day for the first weeks, even going to sleep with a gel pack on my knee. I cut out all pain killers except the occasional Tylenol at 3 weeks. Ice was wonderful and at 10 weeks I still use it now and again.
 
I used ice constantly for a looooong time. If I was sitting, I had ice. Doing the same thing this time around. I agree with everyone else that ice is the wonder drug.

I also find some relief in moving. If I wake up in the middle of the night and it's achy and twitchy, I hang my legs over the bed and massage the sides of the knee, just to get some space in there. It can help a lot. After sitting for an hour or two, it feels good to me to get up and make a couple of rounds of the house with my cane, concentrating on good posture and stepping properly.

@vinny! Yo Yo Ma! What a thrill to see him in person. Love the cello so much.
 
I must confess I am not a classical music fan and I could not imagine a solo cellist but he was wonderful even though classical to me is Merle Haggard....:heehee:
 
I iced constantly for a few weeks. I even used my ice machine at night. It didn't keep me awake.....I wasn't sleeping anyway! I would say ice as much as possible. Another benefit of icing, in addition to relieving pain and reducing swelling, is that it forces you to sit and elevate your leg!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'm at 4+ weeks post op and continue to improve. And I credit the advice I got here with the careful consistency of my healing. The most helpful things have been: icing frequently and for a long time, rest, gentle PT, and moving/walking around frequently (for me it's been mostly indoors because of our winter weather). Understanding what my PT should consist of was something I had no clue about when I started this journey and I see it repeated in many others in this forum. But the advice here has been spot on. I chose my new PT carefully and I give her constant feedback during our sessions and stop when there's pain or real fatigue. She hasn't measured my ROM this week - thank God! But I can tell it's getting better - my walking is easier because my leg is straighter and I can walk up and down stairs normally now (with a handrail). I carry my cane with me when I go out just for stability but don't need it to walk. I've been driving for a week. And I can do without so much pain med - I'm still on Hydrocodone but I take only 1 every 4-5 hours instead of 2. I'm thinking of switching back to Tramadol -- any thoughts on that? I was taking it pre op for the arthritis pain. I still don't have a lot of stamina - have to take many breaks in the day but I am retired and don't have the demands of a job. Standing in one place is still quite difficult but I can be patient with that. That's my update!
Kiki in VA
 
Hi Kiki @Cello luv
Sounds like you are doing a great job in your recovery. Each day you will continue to see changes in your healing and stamina. This is a marathon that we are in. And boy I was so thankful when I found this site. I was more prepared reading the posts here and in the pre op.
If you are ready to change to tramadol then go ahead. As long as you fine with it. As our pain changes you will need less and less pain meds. Some are different and need their pain meds longer and stronger.
Isn't it wonderful to find a pt that doesn't try to rip your leg off. I ended up quiting mine. I do it here at home on my own and doing great. I'm now 4+ months now and find that each week I have better flexion.
Stay positive,
Dana
 
Great progress. You must be really pleased. This approach you are taking has really worked for a lot of people on here and shows in steady progress with a measured approach to exercise.
I"m 11 weeks out and still find standing for long makes my knee ache a bit but every weeks shows improvements even in that. I've been off painkillers for ages and have no limp. The knee swells a bit but goes down with a rest and I can walk for at least 3 miles now.
Just keep on doing what you are doing and you'll be great.
 
Great progress @Cello luv....as good as my recovery has been playing golf 4 times a week I still find it difficult to stand in one spot... You did not mention ice I still do it twice a day even though I have no pain......

Vinny
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom