Guest viewing is limited

New Hip Replacent Material (highly cross-linked polyethylene)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote< "Andrea - my doc. sounds a lot like yours - he knows we want to be as active as possible and looks at it as a "good thing" "> quote.

He sounds like a keeper, but is he as 'dreamy' as my guy :)?????

As far as good exercise, this worked well for me. I am hoping Marilyn will jump in here too, but haven't seen her around for a bit, maybe she is out training too hard.

I backed off my cardio, did very little stretching and really concentrated on building strength and getting lean. This is a good time to let your muscles, tendons, ligaments get a little tight. For strength training, we work at home with exercise balls, resistance bands and dumbells. I worked my whole body including legs. I felt it was a good idea to get them really strong so the muscles could help protect the new joints as well as be able to start PT. Core was very important too, maybe even more so than upper body, to help work everything right after surgery. As it turned out, I spent very little time on crutches, but used a strong core to help move in and out of beds, chairs etc.

So on the ball: weighted crunches, hamstring curls, pelvic tilts/planks, back work, pushups, using the ball like a bench for upper body work with dumbells, etc.

Bands: ad and abductor leg work (both sitting and standing), lat work, glute and quad work.

In general, lots of squats, lunges, dead lifts with weights. We also have Concept2 rowers which work your whole body plus give you a good cardio. I get bored silly on them, but I forced myself to use them more and I think that helped too. I think I was in the best shape of my life just before my surgery, even with my bad hips, but I had a lot of incentive!! I had just about as much time as you between the 'decision' and actually surgery which seemed just about right to get in really good shape without overdoing.

Also, try to find a 'hip cl***'. My hospital offers them. Tons of useful information on what it will actually be like right after surgery. Being prepared will make things much smoother. Little things can make your recovery easier and faster.

Andrea
(Believe in Barbaro)
 
Quote: He sounds like a keeper, but is he as 'dreamy' as my guy ?????

He is kinda cute but at this point all I am interested in is how steady his hands are :) :)

Ok, I am now terrified - surgery date is on the board - September 22nd. It has now hit me as a reality. I know I am doing the right thing - actually the only thing because as we all know once the hips are shot short of resigning yourself to be crippled this is the only road we can go down. I am pretty sure my reaction is normal and I will quickly work my way back to feeling that not only is this the right thing it is a good thing and that I will soon be horseback riding, skiing and dancing right along with the rest of you :)

The hospital is setting up all the auxillary appointments including a "hip cl***" and a one-on-one with a hip replacement alumni.

Stay Tuned!
Diane
 
Just wanted to touch base to all of you with your surgery pending. I had my THR/left hip one week ago today! I feel great, using a walker when tired but able to walk with a cane. I am off the pain meds and am absolutely amazed at how little pain I have experienced. In comparison, the pain I had before surgery is now gone and much worse than anything I have felt post-surgery. I too had a lot of apprehension before the surgery but am so happy to be one week post-surgery now!! Regards, Terri
 
Hi Terri,

Welcome to the other side!! Congrats, and glad to hear you are doing so well. You are still in the toughest time too, it gets better and better after the first week with a few plateaus now and then. keep up the good work and kkep us posted!!

Andrea
(Believe in Barbaro)
 
Hi Everyone! What a great conversation! I also have the colbalt chrome with highly linked polyethylene hip. I had the two incision mini surgery in June of 2004 (Right hip only). At my two year check-up there was no evidence of wear and great bone growth.

At this point I have no restrictions and am preparing for the National Triathlon Club Championships at Lake Mead in October. This will be my first attempt at the Olympic distance and my 3rd triathalon this year. My doc says go for it! By the way he is one of the doctors who presents material on this cite. He is also conservative in the weeks after the surgery. I'm very pleased with my hip. Some days I do have some pain, but not always in the hips. This week the humidity and heat in Missouri made my lungs burn.

Hey Andrea, I got a new Trek road bike this week. I rode 12 miles of a 40 mile training ride this morning. It is great, but my shoulder is protesting the forward position. Gee guys, if it isn't one joint it's another.

Good luck on your surgery! I loved mine. Say there is a new treadle, treadmill that is really great for working on your gait. My gym just got it and if you limp at all you can really see it!. I tend to limp when I get tired. I hope that you will all not wait for 6 years like I did for your new hip(s). Limping becomes a habit that is hard to break!
Take care all!
 
Marilyn, I am curious as to your statement regarding your surgeon being conservative after the surgery. I would love to hear other views as to activity levels, physical therapy, etc. I was told that at 6 weeks, post surgery, I should be able to drive and return to work. I will be 2 weeks post on Wednesday this week. I had 3 sessions last week and will have 3 this week with a physical therapist. A friend of mine said her surgeon does not use physical therapy so soon after surgery, thus the curiosity of other's recommendations. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Terri
 
HI Terri,
Sorry, this got a little long.
My doctor was conservative in allowing me to do many activites for the first 8 weeks, but he also realized how important it was to me to be physically active. I tried to do a triathlon 3 weeks before my THR. I made it through the swim and bike, but could not place any weight on my leg when I got off the bike. My hip was so deteriorated that they could not tell if I had broken it until they were able to compare it to some recent x-rays taken in prep for the surgery.It has been two years now and the exact times are getting a little hazy.

I started in therapy at the hospital two days after surgery. Mainly learning how to move the leg on and off the bed, getting up on my own, and beginning strengthen isometric exercises. At home I had PT 3 times a week for a week and a half. At that point I could not stand being home all day every day and he allowed me to go to PT at Peak Performance and back to Wilson's Gym. I continued at Peak for a month, 3 times a week. We progressed from strengthening to taking my first steps with the walker and then the cane. We also worked on balance. I was allowed from near the beginning to place about 50 % of my body weight on my new hip.

At the gym we did only upper body to begin with and of course all the isometric exercises. When I was allowed to bear weight completely and switched to the cane my cardio consisted of walking slowly around the gym with my trainer behind me working on my gait. At 5-6 weeks after surgery and my return to the doctor, I was allowed to drive and progressed to not using the cane. At 8 weeks I was allowed to swim and tie my shoelaces. That was a big day! At three months I was doing everything except riding my bike, which I started riding after the first of the year. AFter 6 months I was basically doing everything and much more than I had before my surgery

At eleven months I did my first sprint triathalon. Roller skating at 15 months and snow skiing at 16. This summer I have 2 firsts and 2 second in my events. The one thing that I have agreed to give up is water skiing.
So good luck! May you be able to do everything that you want to do. By the way an acquaitaince had THR done about the same time with out the therapy. Although she goes to the gym on a regular basis, she still walks with a limp. I had a great therapist, but it is how much you follow their directions that really counts. I still work on some of the exercises that he gave me on a regular basis. Take care,
Marilyn
 
Thanks Marilyn, reading about all you do makes you a great inspiration. My doctor said I was allowed to put as much weight as I can bear right after the surgery. Today is Day 12, post surgery, and I have not used a walker for a week, cane only and today I was able to ascend my staircase using both legs, so I am making wonderful progress. I will go to the surgeon on Friday for my 2 week checkup. I too am going crazy being in the house, can't wait to see what the doctor will let me do based on my progress. Once again, thanks for sharing and the encouragement. TErri
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom