Revision TKR Never give up, keep trying, don't settle - that's me, Bonnie

Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Last night had to be the worst night of my lifetime as far as pain goes. I had gained 9 pounds since surgery day my entire leg is so swollen from the foot to the top of my thigh. Each day I hover around with a 99.1 fever and each evening it goes up, right now it is 100 degrees. Last night it climbed to 101.6 my pain was out of control, was freezing in my PJ's and sweatshirt, could not go to sleep and to top it all off was that I kept having to get out of bed every hour all night long to go to the potty and I was not even drinking anything! Could that have been my body processing the swelling/fluid retention in my leg? When I weighed myself this morning I had lost 6 pounds over night! I think that one of my big mistakes was to try and go to sleep with my leg in the CPM, it was going to run for two hours when my alarm would go off telling me that CPM was done and to take a pain pill, I didn't make it the full two hours, I was trembling with pain, and was so cold! I have been taking around the clock Oxycodone 5-325 mg two of them every 4 hours since Thursday evening when I was released, I have not missed a dose, but at the same time it is not enough. It says to take 2 every 4 to 6 hours, there is no way I could wait 6 hours since my pain returns at 3 hours then I wait for it to be time for a 4 hour dose then...that takes about an hour to start working, so
every medication cycle therecare about 2 hours of pain before I get some help. My leg is so swollen that I can't do all of the exercises that they sent home with me! So please, tell me when this will start feeling better? When will I not be hurting so much needing these pain pills so often? I called my doctor this morning because I cannot have another night like last night. He said to stay
with the pain meds but added a sleeping pill RX for me. Of course when it is late, dark, and I am hurting I also start crying over Molly it makes me feel like my head is splitting in two. I have not done the CPM today, I know I should have but will not do it again while trying to sleep. My first formal PT since the hospital will be Tuesday April 5. Someone please tell me that all this pain will go away!!

Bonnie
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Additionally please let me say thank you to all of you wonderful Bone Smart friends. Your caring and compassion you have shown me in regards to Molly means so much! We all don't really know each other but you all show that you have so much character, I am so lucky to have found you! I keep going back and re reading your messages, and although they make me cry I feel good at the same time knowing that you wonderful people are a part of my life!

Bonnie xo
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Bonnie, if you opt to use the CPM, try just an hour at a time. Your first priority is going to be getting that swelling down and right now almost any activity is going to irritate things. If you don't use it at all, you can still do some ankle pumps and gentle bends and heels slides in addition to your walking around the house (bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, etc.) every hour or so during the day.

If your pain continues, you need to talk to your OS again and tell him that strength of pain medication is just not cutting it and you want something stronger. At this point don't even think about tapering off or when that might be. It's going to be a while. You NEED good pain management right now.

Of course you have the added stress of Molly which, I'm sure, isn't making all this any easier. My heart goes out to you....it's just going to take some time to get that part feeling a little better.

You are right that your weight gain is related to surgery and it can drop off quite quickly. Don't worry about that. I'm guessing that your fever and chills are related to the high pain level you have experienced. That's why I think your number one priority right now is to get pain and swelling under control.

Oh....and you didn't mention icing and elevating your leg. Are you doing both? You should be applying ice to your knee and any other part of your leg that hurts any time you are not up and around. Keep a cloth in between the ice pack and your skin. Be sure and ice the back and sides of your knee also. Ice even when you are sleeping! It really can help with your comfort level and with swelling.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Thank you Jamie, yes I am icing and elevating, I have one of those cryocuff things wrapped around my knee anytime I am sitting up or laying down with legs elevated and another one that goes around my ankle. We set the alarm over night for every 4 hour hours to wake us (except i am never sleeping) when I take more pain pills and my husband refreshes the ice. Do you think that all my trips to the potty last night were related to the swelling?

Bonnie
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Not really. It's not like you can do anything about having to go to the bathroom and you need to be passing all that fluid. The swelling should get better in the next couple of days. Just don't push with the CPM or any exercises other than those basic ankle pumps and heel slides.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

We are all different yet is is useful to compare. I was on 2x the pain meds you are on and could only tolerate 1 hour at a time in the CPM. I gained 20 pounds (2 legs) from swelling and peed it all away over two weeks (every hour like you). My advice would be to reduce activity, increase pain meds, keep icing and elevating and resting. Do not worry about actively improving flexibility or strenth at this stage - way too early for that. Hang in there - this is the most difficult time and it will get better with time.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Bonnie..the pain will go away. You are five days out of surgery. You have a right to be in pain.

i had a lot of swelling post surgically. I am guessing that you frequent trips to the potty last night were a combination of keeping your legs elevated, which encourage good circulation and the fact that you were in pain and cold. Hopefully you will have a better night tonight. If you are still running a low grade fever, you do need to give you OS a call.

I agree with what others have said about the CPM. My doctor did not even use a CPM machine and I have recovered pretty well. Do ankle pumps. They are great.

The pain will go away. Maybe not today, but each day will get better. :friends:
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Hang in there; things will get better. Your body is fighting through the surgical trauma right now and you just ice, elevate, and take care of the pain. Do not worry about getting up to relieve yourself---that will help get rid of the fluids.

Just take it as easy as you can and, as the others have said, if the fever persists, call the ortho.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

You're doing too much. Too much CPM and too much activity. Right now and for the next 7-10 days, just REST! Also during the day do a trial of taking half your pain med (1 tablet) every 2 hours instead of 2 every 4 hours. It might work, it might not, but it's worth a try.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Bonnie, having just been where you are, you will tend to think all sorts of things, but you should find the swelling and pain improving daily. I agree that you might call your OS about increasing your Oxy medication. Oxy's were the only thing that cut my pain, but I was taking two 10 mgs at the time roughly every four hours.l hang in there .

Jim
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Bonnie let me first say my heart goes out to you for the loss of your dear Mollly. I have three cats and they are my family too. They give us special love and this is a hard thing to lose. It sounds like you gave Molly a wonderful loving life.

I too gained lots of fluid after my surgery. I gained 19 pounds with my surgery and my knee still swells easily. Because of the swelling I was not able to flex my knee as much and wish I had had a CPM machine to help. But that said I still battle to regain my flexion which fluctuates between 90-120 with assistance.

What I found is most important is controlling the pain. You will eventually get rid of the body fluid and it is the result of the insult of surgery to your system. Just hang in there for that.

Make sure to get your leg above your heart when elevating. If you do it while sitting you should be in a sort of a v with your lower legs up on an ottoman and enough pillows to get it there. Recliners are good too just get that lower leg up. Ice is the best pain medicine. I bought two large ice gel packs so I could make an iced knee sandwhich out of my knee. I too had the cryo machine but used these instead.

This surgery is a loooong recovery so go easy on yourself. Especially if you tend to swell. Have patience and know that your knee has been through a lot of trauma and will need time to heal. It has a right to HURT. Just try to maintain your ROM with your heel slides and ankle pumps. They will help move fluid in your knee too.

Some of us take longer and some just seem to fly through recovery with this but remember every knee is different and you just need to assess the knee each day and do what it needs. Work closely with your physical therapists and they can be a great help with recovery and pain.

I hope your feeling better day by day but things will go up and down so don't worry. In the end you will improve. Do let your doctor know if the fever persists but some people do have some fever afterwards the nurses told me for a little while. But certainly keep an eye on it. Sleep is important too. Takes naps and dont feel guilty for it. Your body needs it.

Hang in there.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Hi Bonnie, I hope you had a better night last night. Make sure you rest and ice and elevate your leg, even is you are feeling a little better, don't get up, just do stuff on the couch or bed. Jo had a great idea about the pain meds, but if it doesn't help, I would call the doctor. I do remember those first few weeks, and they are tough, especially for those of us who are always on the go. It will get better, but will take time. Let us know how you are doing.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

they are tough, especially for those of us who are always on the go
Well, that's the problem, Jc. She shouldn't be on the go all the time. She's only 1 week out and should be spending all her time resting and elevating.


Bonny, your signature isn't showing. You need to go into your UserCP > Edit Options and set your profile to Show Signature which is probably off.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Bonnie, when I used the CPM it caused my knee and foot to swell moreso than the surgery. I rested it several days and then tried it again and had swelling. I put the CPM in the closet until the rep came and picked it up. Perhaps the CPM isn't right for you?

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your Molly. She is a very special family member and will never be far from you. She took a piece of your heart with her but she is piecing it back together on the other side and one very special day you will be reunited with her.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Josephine I am using my new iPad, do you think that is the problem with the signature? I made it through the weekend and today, Tuesday I had my first PT. It was the same place I used to go after my scope surgery, they were very happy to see me as I was to see them. I had two Hydocodon at 8:30 am then PT 9:30 till 10:45, back home rest, lunch more pain pills at 12:30 then off for a 1:20 OS appointment. The drive to the doctor visit was so uncomfortable for me because of sitting in the car and by now my leg was soooo mad after what I had done in PT. The doctor said I was healing nicely my incision looked great and remarked that my leg was barely swollen at all. Well, I have lost 13 pounds in the last 3 days! The pain pills taken at 12:30 were like I had taken none at all. I've been hurting all day after PT...the only thing is, I really enjoyed PT, I guess I just pay for it later. So another afternoon spent on the couch...oh well I did what I was supposed to do today.

Bonnie
RTKR 3/28/11
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Bonnie,
I am so sorry for your loss. I too am a huge animal lover and I too lost my best friend ( My Dad) when I was post op. He got admitted to the hospital when I was 1 day post op. I thought he would be ok for awhile but died 2 weeks later (about) when I was on my way to visit him for the first time post op. I am crying so much I can't see this words - I just tried to dedicate my recovery to his memory because I know he would want me to be well and strong. I am still working on my recovery and through every obstacle I have tried to honor his memory by working hard at recovery because I want him to be proud of me. I know he is with me, cheering me on and I draw strength from his love and my memories of his strength. So I am saying use your pain to focus on rebuilding strength and imagine yourself running with your Molly.
my deepest sympathy,
Parla
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

So sorry to hear about Molly. I know I lost a doggie last year, Dasher, that I had for 16 years. We even happened to find a model of a dog head that looks so much like her. We have it on a shelf with her old collar around it. These are such dear friends we never let go of due to their great sense of love. I know we are with our love ones again. You take care and glad you are doing well in the recovery. Sending positive thoughts.
 
Parla, I am so sorry to read your post about your Dad. I truly can feel your pain because I too recently lost my Dad too. He passed away on July 29, 2010. He knew I was having knee problems but did not live long enough to know the full extent. I live in Texas and he and my Mom lived in Oregon. I flew home to be with him before he passed away but he never woke up. I can only hold on to the thought that he knew that I was there until the end. Fast forward to March 2011, I flew back to Oregon again to visit my Mom before my surgery, it was then that she gave me my Dad's cane to help with my rehab. So each morning and each evening I use my Dad's cane to make my once a day trip upstairs or downstairs just like they taught me in PT in the hospital. So I think that my Dad is taking care of Molly for me, which makes me feel good and I know that they are looking down on me with all of their love and encouragement as I know your Dad is for you!
Take care...all my best to you
Bonnie xo
RTKR March 28, 2011
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

Hi, there. I just scheduled my surgery so I'm anxious to read about everyone recovery over lunch today. So I sit here crying for you and your loss. I think the hardest part of loosing a pet is that first time you come home and the wagging tail and jumps aren't there - couple that with coming home after surgery. :( I wish I could give you a big hug.

I hope your recovery goes well and that you will consider bringing another fur baby into your heart when the time is right.
 
Re: I am on the other side now friends!

I truly can feel your pain because I too recently lost my Dad too. He passed away on July 29, 2010.

oh Bonnie, my heart skipped a beat.......... I lost my dad July 29, 2010 also....
I wish he could see me pain free, well I bet he can. I would love to see the look on his face so glad I was doing better after so many years of pain. That and the 50 pounds I have lost, he would be so proud of me.

Also... I LIVE in Oregon.... as do my folks (now my mom)

wow...... it is a very small very connected world.
 
Back
Top Bottom