TKR Nettie's knee - underestimated this surgery

Hi Nettie. I am ahead of you in my recovery... 4 months yesterday. I can’t believe it’s been that long as I say it, although as I was going through those first few months it felt like an eternity! I found the time where you are, 10 to 12 weeks particularly frustrating. I definitely was feeling better, and could notice some improvement. However I was nowhere near where I thought I would be. And since my energy level was finally improved after the surgery, I wanted to do more. But the more I did, the worse I felt. Almost like a catch 22. When I posted this on BoneSmart, everyone stressed patience, patience, patience. So hard to follow because like you, I am someone who needs to keep moving. But as usual, they were so right! Somewhere around 3.5 months I seem to turn a corner. Those times without thinking about my knee became more frequent, and I was able to do more!! And at 4 months it’s even better...not perfect by any means, but there has even been a day or two where I’m glad I did the surgery. Hang in there and be kind to that knee, better days are definitely ahead!

@nettie you are 5 days behind me. This point appears to be frustrating as you feel better until you try to do a bit more - I went walking over uneven ground today visiting a priory and tried to step up a step that was too high - ouch! Annoyingly my husband told me not to try!!! I return to work in 2 weeks so having to push a bit harder. Hope you continue to improve.

Sometimes pushing harder will work against your healing instead of helping you to heal. Don't jump into it too hard. Listen to your knee and rest, elevate and ice when you need to. You'll find when you first get back to work you are going to have more swelling and pain. Going to work, working and getting back home is a whole lot to do in one day. There will be no need for anymore exercising or PT. Working is all the exercise you need.

Somewhere around 3.5 months I seem to turn a corner. Those times without thinking about my knee became more frequent, and I was able to do more!!

@Muldoh... thank you for posting. I am glad to hear from those who are a bit ahead of me in recovery. I am so waiting for the day when I am not thinking so much about my knee. It's starting to happen. I think about it less and feel more like "myself", but there is certainly a long way to go. Patience, patience! XO

I went walking over uneven ground today visiting a priory and tried to step up a step that was too high - ouch! Annoyingly my husband told me not to try!!

@babycatcher - our spouses do mean well, but sometimes the comments are off the mark. I was on the recumbent exercise bike today trying to pedal in a full circle and the seat was so far back that my feet had trouble staying on the pedals. My husband suggested helpfully that it might go better if I moved my seat forward. It made me laugh. He didn't realize that my knee only bends so far right now and if my seat was moved forward then my knee would have to bend more. But I did appreciate that he was trying to give me a helpful suggestion. Anyway... good luck with your continued recovery! XO

You'll find when you first get back to work you are going to have more swelling and pain. Going to work, working and getting back home is a whole lot to do in one day.

@sistersinhim - I have been back to work since week 4. But because of Covid I work at home - that's the only reason I could start working again so soon. And even though I didn't have to commute anywhere or be on my feet all day, I still started work a bit too early because I was still very tired and needed more rest. For the most part my therapy is my normal everyday activities. I have only been going to PT once a week. I see the OS next week and we will see what he says about my progress. XO

I have read a lot of posts... a LOT of posts... on this forum about having the right to stop PT and having the courage to make your own decisions about your own knee. I had to do that this week. Went to physical therapy on Monday afternoon and by Monday evening was in a lot of pain. Hardly slept during the night. Knee was so riled up, inflamed, stiff. And it stayed that way all through Tuesday and Tuesday night. By Wednesday, when I was supposed to go back for another PT appointment, there was NO WAY I could do it. I had to listen to my own body. Cancelled the all PT appointments until I see my OS next week. Instead I am elevating, icing, and letting my knee calm down. Whatever happens, happens. I respect all the experience and advice of people on this forum, and I am going to trust that my body will heal itself on its own schedule. I can't see any reason to put myself through therapy that causes me to lay awake at night in pain.

I’m so sorry you had that much pain after your PT session. :console2:

I honestly fail to understand how those PTs who promote this type of session can think this can possibly be of any benefit. I had sessions like that, also, but never will again.

I can't see any reason to put myself through therapy that causes me to lay awake at night in pain.
Me either. If you take PT that causes you to be in extra pain, then it's bad PT, and you have to spend the extra days recouping from that PT. In my opinion, that sets back your recovery.

Cancelled the all PT appointments until I see my OS next week.

You don't have to tell your doctor that you have quit PT. I never told mine and he was always happy with my recovery.

It sounds like you have a PT that takes you to boot camp. :( I did PT but had a reasonable one. She focused a lot on icing and getting the swelling down. I found PT mostly useful for encouragement and for learning a couple of targeted exercises for later in my recovery. A few heel slides scattered throughout the day, gradually increasing walking as tolerated and a few minutes warmup on the exercise bike seemed to do the trick for me in the end. (Along with a lot of icing and elevating.)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kerious1
Recent bookmarks