Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral TKR Nerve pain<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Bsmeahan, when I had my first knee done, I did cry a lot, and felt myself getting very depressed! I also wondered why I had gone ahead and had the surgery. Never having had surgery before, I never realized how hard it was to bounce back! I also figured I would be back to work within a month, no big deal! But reality set in, and it was 3 months before I went to work, and I only worked a half day, and the first week I was pooped! I am a pet groomer, so very physical work.

This time I went back after 8 weeks, but no lifting dogs! Just bathing and drying tired me out again, and my first knee would stiffen on me, and that one is just a year! I still wonder if I did the right thing, I just hope the stiffness goes away! We shall see!
 
@louie, I understand how you felt and feel..when you are so active even with bad knees you go and go and when you have them replaced you think okay I can do this and be up and around quickly and when that doesn't happen it just doesn't feel like you will ever be the same.
But it will get better and better.

Maybe the stiffness in the one year knee comes from standing doing your job? Don't know just guessing..
I know if I sit or stand very long they do get stiff and have to stretch them out..

I do find I tire faster than I used too, but I just stop and rest and then go on..

We will get through this and be happy we had it done in time I am sure!

Take care
 
Good morning, and how are you?? We went to the gym yesterday, and had a really good work out!: my daughter, Michelle, pushes me, and anyway, I tried doing light lunges, and haven't been able to do them since my knees went kaput! I was able to do them, for the first time ever!:roseshwr:I am careful, don't want to hurt anything, but am a little tired this morning!
 
I am doing very well, seems better each week. I am back to bowling once a week and have been repainting inside of house..started back to gym just going lightly and love the pool!!

Haven't tried lunges yet but I also haven't done them for over two years or more! Will have to try and see how I do!

Keep up the great work and we will all heal and have great knees!!!
Take care!
 
It has been over a year now, surgery was May 20, 2015 had both replaced at once. Now mostly my right one and some in the left have been hurting mostly at night in bed. Then depending if I work out or walk a lot how badly they ache.

Dr says it is bursitis and since I cannot take anti inflammatory meds, so he gave me a cream but it really doesn't help much. Anyone else end up with this? I am about ready to call him again and see if there is anything they can do!

Hanging on!
Barb
 
Where is your bursitis?
Ask about a steroid shot into the bursa, since you cannot take an anti inflammatory, a steroid shot would be a good option.
Good luck!
 
Also, I got some relief from Aspercream. I wonder though if you should have someone else look at the knees---someone who is skilled in revisions. That type of doctor is more used to finding a problem than the average surgeon.
 
@Bsmeahan, sorry to hear about your bursitis. I struggled with that for a good (actually bad) 3 months in both knees. OS thought it was caused by too strenuous PT about 3 months after my BTKR. Luckily I could take the anti-inflammatories, but also wore the neoprene supports my OS provided and stopped exercising. OS directed me to elevate, ice, bring back to room temp, then use heat and repeat several times a day. I moved away shortly thereafter and didn't trust anyone in my new area to do injections. Best of luck with your bursitis.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Bsmeahan, sorry you're having discomfort but glad you came back to BoneSmart to seek opinions! I'm of the opinion veterans here have great answers!!

Hoping you will soon have answers that will put you on the path to feeling better!
 
The bursitis is around my whole knee replacement joint on right knee and in the back and right at front inside of left knee. I asked my surgeon about knee injections and he said I can never have those again with knee replacements...so I don't know.

He gave me an anti inflammatory cream which helps a little, but still wake a night and have to get up and keep putting it on.

Does this go away? I sure hope so!
Thanks for all your help!
Barb
 
I asked my surgeon about knee injections and he said I can never have those again with knee replacements...so I don't know.
That's pure nonsense! I've had about 16 injections of cortisone since my knee replacements. He's just being overly cautious and scared of litigation!
 
Josephine, I thought the same thing!!! I thought a shot would help me so much!
I just called and left a message to get another appointment with him and we shall discuss it again..
I shouldn't have to be in this pain now a year after my knee replacements..
 
May 20th of this year will be 2 years since I had them both replaced. I can't get through the night without achy knees still to this day. I toss and turn each and every night. They don't swell and they are tender during the day but not pain.

Dr says this happens with some people and so we have tried a pill called Gabapentin and it seemed to work a while but no more.

So now I have to try nerve block in my knees. They get it approved by insurance then they do it once and then test again and if I get relief then they do it again and burn the nerves and praying it lasts up to a year or he says some people only need it once.

Has anyone else ever had this?
 
Welcome @Bsmeahan ! Have you looked for a second opinion? Sometimes a revision specialist can see problems that other Orthos can't see. A second set of eyes can sometimes see what the original surgeon can't. You would need to look for an OS that has experience with revisions.
 
Sorry to hear you are continuing to have problems with our knees. @Jamie may be able to help you finding someone for a second opinion.
 
I have seen another ortho but not one for revision, I had my surgeon kept telling me it would go away so after 1½ years I was sent to another one and he acted up 'oh well X-ray looks fine so don't know what to tell you'.

So then my ref MD sent me to another ortho surgeon who looked at my X-rays and said the replacement looks fine, so he says it's the nerves around it and sent me to pain management where they put me on Gabapentin which worked for 6 weeks but no more. So now looking at nerve block shots.

But I am willing to see a revision specialist! Anything that will help!
 
You need to look for an OS that has no relationship with any of the surgeons you have seen, not even golfing buddies.
Have you asked about a pain pump, or a nerve stimulator for pain. Invasive yes, but not as much as ablation of your nerves.
 
I will look for one. No I haven't asked for anything because I don't know what to ask for.
But I will ask my pain management dr about either of those, thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom