BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Neesie's Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Neesie, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Benay

Benay graduate

United States United States
    Are you living alone? If so do you have help?

2. Benay

Benay graduate

We're close in surgery dates, I'm going to read your thread. It gives a much clearer picture than just the snippets from the updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Benay - my husband has been a tremendous help as have many friends. I hate asking for help and having to do that also takes a toll. Before the surgery I was very independent.

4. Benay

Benay graduate

I know that's the tough part. I just wondered when I read 'isolated'

I filled my time with my iPad which was like a window on the world for me.
    I didn't really want to see people so the isolation was self imposed in my case. The forum was also a huge help knowing that we are all going through the same recovery together - although some having a much more difficult time than others. A forum member posted- and I'll come back and edit when I get the name right - at the 52 week mark chances are we'll all be at the same place regardless of who did what faster. That stuck with me as being very true.

It's a case of just getting through the first difficult bits and reminding yourself it will get better and these days are temporary.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  5. Benay

Benay graduate

This is exactly how @Atlas_aus put it:

"As I read somewhere on here this is a '12 month' recovery, some will get there a little quicker, but by the end of 12 months or so we will all most likely be at the same level."

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Thanks for the encouragement. I re-read many of the ‘success stories’ to keep my spirits up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. marieltha

marieltha senior

Hi, @Neesie
    I’ve had 2 PKR’s and for me, ankle swelling comes and goes after, as does the nerve sensitivity. My OS said mine was normal.

Focus on the positive that you are repairing and/or replacing body parts that need the fix. Just that.

Take it easy. Be kind to yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  8. KarriB

KarriB FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Your ankle may be swelling from taking on what your knee cannot do. Have you thought of limiting yourself to daily living activities to see how it feels?

9. Neesie

Neesie junior member

I just started cutting back on what I've been doing after completing the formal PT and then reading many of the threads here. Today I did a few exercises that usually feel good and then I iced and elevated. Compared to what I was doing before, it wasn't much but maybe even that was too much for today. It also feels like spasms and cramps are just so arbitrary. I'm trying not to get discouraged. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. luvcats

luvcats senior

Ugh. Spasms and cramps. I've had trouble with those. With the new knee and straighter leg, our poor muscles have to learn their jobs all over again. I'm finding some of mine really resent it.

Depression is a very real problem. In my experience, some of it can be nutritional depletion caused by healing, so try to be sure you are eating good nutrition, or supplementing as suits your body.

I have had a lot of issues with depression, although not to do with the surgery. To try and make sure I don't develop an issue, I spend a lot of time here on this forum, and a lot of time with my various social media feeds staying connected to my friends and distant family. That is what works for me. What normally gives you comfort and keeps your mind active? Do you belong to clubs or church groups or online forums? Reach out to any of the people who are important or interesting to you and stay connected. Too much time alone in my own head is always a downfall for me.

And remember, your current disability is temporary. Tomorrow is always another chance for a good day.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Atlas_aus

Atlas_aus member

Australia Australia
    @Neesie

Good morning from 'downunder'.

I am a couple of weeks behind you and had a BTKR. Luckily I found this forum a few weeks before the big day and had a plan of how I would be proceeding. :rotfl:

Of course my plan was made redundant post surgery day 1 and the 'Catheter Incident' (CI). Although in some ways it helped as I was so concerned at pulling it back out I was very careful and did very little for the 2 weeks it was in (long story). It gave me the opportunity to relax (as much as one can with a catheter in them !!), elevate and ice possibly a lot more then I would have otherwise, which I think allowed me to heal a lot quicker than I thought it would take.

My surgeon, OT and everyone else were of the opinion of use it or lose it. I was not. But I played the game and told them what they wanted to hear in the beginning at least. Then as the bonesmart way began to show great results so early I was happily telling the OT I was doing darn all ! In fact at our second session I mentioned I was able to get back on the bike and had actually rode to the appointment ! :biking:

I guess what I am trying to say is give yourself a break, you have had major surgery !! Rest, relax and ice for few days and do little else, you maybe surprised how well your body responds.

We are all different, and I am possibly a lot younger than a lot of the members on here are. As we get older major traumas take a lot longer to heal.

And above all else, it's not a race, it's a journey full of surprises, some good, some not so, but hopefully around the 1 yr mark we will all have similar levels or recovery and success.

Good luck an take it easy ! :martini:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Neesie

Neesie junior member

luvcauts: thanks so much for sharing your story. I do belong to a few online groups and to 2 local book clubs and a knitting group. For the first few weeks I couldn't concentrate enough to do any of it but that's passed finally. I do find that when the pain is relentless, I isolate myself, mostly because I'm embarrassed to let others see how me in that state. Having this group to vent to is definitely a big help to me.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Atlas_aus: I wish I had found this site before the surgery. I think I might have postponed it. I was in pain but nothing like this. I think you're right about age being a factor. In the past I healed from various things way quicker than this. Patience with myself isn't one of my virtues. I may be forced into learning that lesson by my own body, LOL. I'm hoping to post with big cheers in a year's time! Thanks for sharing your story. It really helps.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Neesie

Neesie junior member

My side of my ankle is still swollen and doesn't seem to respond to anything - ice, elevation, Ibuprofen. It's puffy and feels like there's a sac of fluid. Any suggestions as to how to reduce the swelling?

15. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Today was really tough. I worked for 4 hours and forgot to take my afternoon pain meds. I iced at 5:00 PM and right after I put the ice packs back in the freezer the spasms started again. I was in agony for about 30 mins. It finally stopped but I can’t take more than 2 or 3 steps without stabbing pains. I know it’s a long road and I just have to get through it but I’m so tired of the pain and so discouraged.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. knee#2

knee#2 member

Did you have to do lots of standing in that four hours? My TKR was about week before yours and I had couple complications and depression including going to formal PT which wasn’t bad but I’ve just been doing limited activities around house and find daily chores are enough, if I try to do more than that I find my knee is stiff and need to plop into my chair again.. knee up and ice plus Tylenol. Everyone is here to cheer us on and encourage! Let us know of all the little victories! I am following you to see more progress.. and yes. I have couple zingers every day. Hugs from SD.

17. Benay

Benay graduate

@Neesie so sorry for what you're experiencing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. knee#2

knee#2 member

Seems like in another thread that magnesium oil was mentioned for muscle spasms? I’ve never tried it but you might ask some of the other members..

19. Neesie

Neesie junior member

Knee#2: yup lots of standing. Thanks for help.
    Benay: thanks so much.
    I’m grateful to have a place to vent, seek support, share.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Neesie

Neesie junior member

A friend just recently recommended magnesium tablets. I’m going to try it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1