Need advice on single or double THR, June THR

calmnc

Country
United States United States
Need double THR. Doing one but was wondering if it is better to do both at the same time. My doctor says I need to wait 90 days to do the second to make sure that blood has enough time to recover. I know many people who have either done it at the same time or within days apart not months. Both hips are shot, had resurfacing two years ago on one but am losing all flexibility now in both due to bone spurs. Major lifestyle impact both physically and emotionally. Only 58. Been having issues with legs for 8 years. Any advice?

Both of mine were bad but the L was worse. I did the L and now at 3 mos I'd still wait for the second one. I know some have both done at once, not all OS do that. Most can't stay out of work long enough to do 1 and then 3 mos later do the 2nd.

Why are you waiting on the 2nd one, bad time with the first? I was thinking that having both done would be one less surgery, maybe a longer recovery but only one recover and the alignment of the hips would be easier if both were done at the same time. Not sure, it is a big decision to do either, but they have seriously curtailed most of my activities and gaining weight due to lack of activity. Vicious cycle, weight making it all worse. My left is worse as well since I had the resurfacing on the right a few years back.

I had great results with my bilateral THR, but it was my surgeon's suggestion.
I had no underlying health issues and he felt I was a good candidate for it.
I'm happy I had them both done and am doing well.

If I wasn’t so overly anxious and scared about doing my first one and knew what I know now...... I would have done both at the same time and got it all over with for the exact reasons you spelled out. One recovery, one surgery, alignment reasons, etc. I did anterior 5 mos ago at 47 and so far all is well. Finally pain free and moving great! It’s amazing.... a true blessing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My OS wouldn’t do bilateral THR. I asked as I had two bad hips also.
I hade my first done in March and 8 weeks later just had my other done.
Having been through it, I really don’t know how bilaterals do it. I can’t imagine how I would have managed having both hips done at the same time. Really. My hats off to those that have. I certainly didn’t want a repeat performance. But I’m really glad my OS said no to doing both hips at once. I’m 50 if that helps.

Kikki.

@calmnc My THR has gone great, but this ain't no day at the beach. I'm not ready for another layup right away and the L isn't done healing yet. Besides FMLA gives 90 days and if I don't go back I won't have health insurance. If I do go back I have to wait 1 year from the day back to take FMLA again. If I do the other it will be in the winter again, worked out great for recovery timing.

My surgeon won't do bilateral because he says there is more blood loss and greater risk of infection. Plus convalescing is going to be harder. I suggest you read mojo333's recovery thread to see how she recovered from a bilateral. She's a beast!

Another consideration is that you'll be relying on that non surgical leg to help you scooch in and out of bed.

Last edited:
I'll double down on what I got from my OS - I don't know whether I could have talked him into doing both, but he was pretty adamant that bilateral replacements have a higher risk of infection and other side-effects. He also argued that with a bilateral, it would be harder to get around the week after, since there would be no "good" leg to depend on. That said, for many of us, that means relying on the less-bad leg. There are clearly successful examples of bilateral surgery, though, and "risk" doesn't mean "inevitable."

That said, I bowed to my OS's recommendation, and I'll be doing the second hip in December.

It's definitely tough..but I was walking around on my two new hips and sore legs within a day.
My OS was obviously confident in his ability as a surgeon, and my ability to recover.
Each of have or own experiences and perspectives but I'm super happy I was one and done.
@gaulsuerou is also a good example of a bilateral THR gone right, as well as myself and @Irish Joe .
You want to be comfortable with whatever decision you make, but I'm not Special.

@calmnc Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome: I'm with Mojo333 on this - I am very glad I had both hips done at the same time!! And it was also my surgeon's recommendation to do the bilateral. His reasons were he felt one surgery, one session of anesthesia, one hospital stay would actually be less risky than doing 2 separate procedures ( I was 64yo when I had BTHR done). And there would be only one recuperation period. Plus he felt if he did 2 ops I'd take longer to regain a normal gait as I'd still be limping on unfixed leg between ops. And he said there was less likely hood of my having a leg length differential problem (does occasionally happen with hip replacements) if he did both at once.

While the first couple of weeks after surgery were awkward they were very doable! I had my cousin with me for about a week after I left the hospital but when she left I was on my own during the day. I had a house mate at the time (renter) who was home in the evenings and on weekends.

I was back to doing what I love to do with in about 8-10 weeks after surgery - and traveled across country to attend a school reunion and see my brother about 5 months after surgery - and had ZERO problems doing all that entailed ( including doing a high kick Rockette-style dance with the other 65yo classmates :snork: ) Now I'm about 6.5 years out and rarely even think of having 2 artificial hips ..... until I check in here :cheers2:

Welcome to BoneSmart! If it were me I would do both at the same time. Trouble is some surgeons avoid BTHR. It's a much longer op and much more demanding for the surgeon. That said, if you are a candidate for BTHR you just need to find a surgeon who agrees. It's not for everyone but if your medical situation is right - I would go for it!

How could I forget dear @djklaugh
Another brilliant success story !
And one who inspired me to think I would be fine...which I am.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Hyde
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom