Guest viewing is limited

TKR My TKR Journey

@Scanne I had some really odd pains at 8 weeks, in fact, I worried so much that something was wrong. I kept posting and posting on BoneSmart and all the moderators reassured me that it was normal. It was a bleak time for me. I had a terrible time walking, with every step, I hurt, and I couldn't walk without a limp which was a reflexive reaction to the pain.

I can't begin to tell you how true their words are. I hit 16 weeks this week and I am so much better. I can almost walk normally and feel more like myself than I have in months. It's the hardest thing imaginable to just exist with pain and be patient. None of it is made better by the fact that sleep is so difficult. Have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your thighs? Even at this point I still do and find it very comfortable.

I was thinking today if I had only known at 6 weeks what I know today, I might have taken a deep breath and watched Netflix, ordered Doordash and relaxed. It DOES get better and it WILL be okay.
 
Thanks Reader525. I have actually followed your progress & am so happy for you that the light at the end is so much brighter. I’m ok with the odd pain, I’m just more concerned about the medial one as I have had it since day one & when I massage the area I can feel a small lump, could be scar tissue from previous surgery, could be absolutely nothing. Hopefully it sorts itself out. My GP did say it I still had the localised pain in another few months we’ll look at a scan.
 
I am at the same point you are and get very frustrated with a good day and no pain and then have horrible pain come rushing back. When that happens I try and do a do nothing day which seems to help. It is so hard as you just want to feel normal again…
 
@Scanne I had some really odd pains at 8 weeks, in fact, I worried so much that something was wrong. I kept posting and posting on BoneSmart and all the moderators reassured me that it was normal. It was a bleak time for me. I had a terrible time walking, with every step, I hurt, and I couldn't walk without a limp which was a reflexive reaction to the pain.

I can't begin to tell you how true their words are. I hit 16 weeks this week and I am so much better. I can almost walk normally and feel more like myself than I have in months. It's the hardest thing imaginable to just exist with pain and be patient. None of it is made better by the fact that sleep is so difficult. Have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your thighs? Even at this point I still do and find it very comfortable.

I was thinking today if I had only known at 6 weeks what I know today, I might have taken a deep breath and watched Netflix, ordered Doordash and relaxed. It DOES get better and it WILL be okay.
I put a pillow at the end of the bed to make a tunnel for my legs as I turn a lot and now my toes don't catch in the sheets causing pain. It is the only way I got to to stay in bed after 4 months. good luck.
 
@benne68 Better yet, write it out and put it where you can see it regularly!

One of the quotes I liked best, that I read, probably after my one year mark was,

”Forget about ROM, get on with your life, and stop worrying!” This one helped me a lot, and I did write it out.
 
@benne68 Hahaha! I still have to lather, rinse, repeat this advice to myself everyday!
My husband is finally having his spinal fusion on Tuesday, and I'm already telling him about being patient. But like all of us, we can hear it from everyone in advance, but when he goes through it, it's like he expects it to be different.
 
@benne68 Hahaha! I still have to lather, rinse, repeat this advice to myself everyday!
My husband is finally having his spinal fusion on Tuesday, and I'm already telling him about being patient. But like all of us, we can hear it from everyone in advance, but when he goes through it, it's like he expects it to be different.
You mentioned walking with a limp. Our friend is a PT and she told me Heel & Toe walking & that works. Just have to keep saying it. Works for me.
 
@benne68 :loveshwr: Thank you!! I'm nervous for him because I am empathizing.

I just remember my apprehension, excitement, fear and hope the night before and also when I was lying there being prepped. He was told at the pre-op that his surgery will be 6 hours!!
I will let you all know how we both survive this!
 
@benne68 Hahaha! I still have to lather, rinse, repeat this advice to myself everyday!
My husband is finally having his spinal fusion on Tuesday, and I'm already telling him about being patient. But like all of us, we can hear it from everyone in advance, but when he goes through it, it's like he expects it to be different.
You mentioned walking with a limp. Our friend is a PT and she told me Heel & Toe walking & that works. Just have to keep saying it. Works for me.
My PT started working with me pretty early on with my walking. She had me work on the heel, the next week, both toe And heel. I practiced at home with my husband watching, & we agree, my walk is more normal than it has been in a Looong time! This works!
 
@benne68 :loveshwr: Thank you!! I'm nervous for him because I am empathizing.

I just remember my apprehension, excitement, fear and hope the night before and also when I was lying there being prepped. He was told at the pre-op that his surgery will be 6 hours!!
I will let you all know how we both survive this!

You’ll both be in thoughts & prayers here , too. I have a friend who fairly recently had this surgery. She has done very well, & recently was able to attend her 50-year high school reunion. She’s been an inspiration to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom