THR My Story (long)

@Mojo333 @Layla @djklaugh Thanks for your words of encouragement and cheerleading! And your perspective. You understand what I'm going through. This is a challenge on several levels. I appreciate being able to talk to veterans.

It wasn't like I expected my OS to take me out to dinner, but it felt strangely uncomfortable to schedule my surgery, allowing this guy to cut into my leg and replace my natural hip with a prosthetic one, after a 20 minute office visit
I made a similar joke to my wife. You nailed it.

@Caison113 Thanks for the links to the videos. I had seen those already but it was good to see them again.

Last edited:
I am glad to hear that you like the surgeon and have confidence in her abilities. In my experience though quite a few surgeons who are terrific at surgery do not have a comprehensive understanding of the full recuperation process.
That's an interesting observation that never would have occurred to me.

I wonder if my surgeon is constrained by the official policy of my HMO (Kaiser), i.e., she will only say what they allow her to say? If she were to tell me that it's ok to go out and run, she would get in trouble with her Kaiser bosses.

That's not what Kaiser said to me. At all. I don't know if this is a different Kaiser region or a function of what the doctor thinks (my guess is the latter is more likely).

In short, he says the new cross-linked polyethylene can last as long as 75 years (!) based on observed wear patterns to the plastic. Now, that doesn't speak to other issues that can go wrong, but if we are just speaking about the liner wearing out, it should outlive just about anyone who has an implant. Food for thought.
This is very similar to what I was told. Let's see, I think Dr said it was 4 mm thick & wear rate was about
0.04 mm/yr - that gives me about a century. I'll take it.

[Warning - long]

I'm two days away and am really having doubts. I went on a hike a few days ago and I generally felt ok. It was a short, easy hike, and I just had a little groin and thigh pain. I ran with my friends yesterday on a wooded path and enjoyed coffee and a pastry with them afterwards. At work this past week, we had a group lunch, partly to recognize some team members, but also to wish me well. That was kind of them. My other friends have also been supportive, and I'm fortunate to have friends that care. Overall, my hip hasn't been hurting too much the past few days, except for that nagging tugging in my groin and some thigh pain if I walk too much.

I've been pretty sleep deprived the past week. Part of it was my schedule, but most of it is from anxiety. I can feel that I'm now just running on nerves. I normally don't sleep well, and with this looming I find myself waking up thinking and overthinking it. I'm a chronic overthinker, which has some good aspects, but it's not helping me now.

I keep doubting that I need this surgery. I'm also frustrated with how my appointments with the doctors worked out, and sort of feel like I just defaulted into this path. And as I said, I have some good days when it doesn't bother me too much. However, when I think about my situation more objectively, there is ample evidence that I need this: I had been in debilitating pain for a year or two at the beginning of the year when I first saw the doctor; the x-rays don't lie; a doctor wouldn't do this is it wasn't justified; if I don't get this done now, I will need it eventually, and the younger I do it the better; I can't properly ride my bikes now; walking is often uncomfortable and often I'm limping; my range of motion is limited and I struggle to put on socks; the pain in my hip makes even hiking uncomfortable; I'm limping even during a 2 or 3 mile walk through my neighborhood; I've declined some activities because I just didn't feel like walking; I had a bad fall that started all of this ten years ago. Once I wake up and think about my situation objectively, I realize that it's the right decision.

On the positive side, I'm no longer in complete fear of the surgery. Not sure how that happened. I'm certainly not looking forward to it. I'm dreading the drive to the hospital and the nervous waiting and everything that happens once they call my name. But I'll still be running on nerves at that point and know that it will be over soon.

I'm finishing last minute preparations for being down for a while. Changed the oil in my wife's car. Will mow the lawn today. Paid the property taxes. Getting work stuff ready. Bought the baby aspirin that I didn't know that I needed. Just doing little things like that. I try to restrain myself from criticizing Kaiser because I realize that I'm fortunate to have health insurance, but dealing with them isn't easy (that's an understatement). And it erodes my confidence that things will go smoothly and triggers my overthinking of what can go wrong.

Although I do overthink the negatives, I am good about overthinking the positives. A friend who has been supportive contacted me last week to tell me that we will be virtual hospital buddies 800 miles apart, because she now has to face her own serious health condition. She is way too young to be dealing with that, but her positive attitude rubs off on me, and reminds me that I shouldn't feel sorry for myself.

To end this on a positive note, below is a photo from my last trail run last month, and a photo from my hike on Friday.

IMG_3418.jpeg

IMG_3673.jpeg

I'm two days away and am really having doubts.
It's very normal to have doubts. But unfortunately the situation is not going to get better. And indeed it can get a whole lot worse very quickly. Get this done now and get on with living. This time next year you will be doing the same hiking - except you won't be limited by a sore hip!

I made the decision last night (Sunday) to postpone my surgery. I feel like I've been rushed into this path and I want to pause for a bit. For day to day activities, I have a small amount of pain but it's not debilitating. I just don't think that's justification enough to go through with the surgery now.

Noticed your beautiful pictures of walking those trails! My right knee would never allow me to enjoy a hike in nature. Having a previous replacement it‘s a100% commitment. You know what feels right for you and your family to make health decision. Good luck !

It's okay to press pause. You need to be sure of your decision. You'll know when the time is right and you know where to find us. Best Wishes!
@dw152

I just wanted to follow up on this a bit. As usual, this is a long post.

I'm perhaps an atypical patient. The pain in my daily activity is pretty low. Two weeks ago when I walked around a major tennis tournament for the entire week, my hip was a little sore, and I had a slight limp but otherwise I managed just fine. I ran with my friends over the weekend without too much problem, mowed the lawn, split some wood, and did other things.

What really confused me was my two visits with my doctor. From the start, she has been negative on the outcome. The first thing she said at our first appointment was "This surgery isn't perfect. You won't be able to do a lot of things." That confused me. When I asked her about returning to activities, she was very negative on that, and said "that's NOT why we're doing this!" In a follow-up email, she said that if I'm doing this surgery just to return to activity, then I should NOT get it. OK, now I was really confused. Lots of other negativity during our discussions. I understand perfectly that I need to be informed of the risks, and that nothing is perfect, but it was a lot of doom and gloom.

People here and elsewhere told me that I should just ignore the doctor. Some of these people know what they are talking about, and I respect that advice, but that's easier said than done. I'm an adult and will make my own decisions, but I also don't want to think that I'm smarter than the doctor, especially the doctor that will do the procedure. And if I'm placing all my trust in this doctor to do the surgery, there is also a lot of overall trust in everything else she says.

Another friend told me that when he had his hip replaced, the doctor asked him "what are your goals when this is over?" Ha. My doctor didn't ask me anything about my background or my goals or anything like that. Zero interest in my background or my whole self.

I'm not trying to complain about my doctor. By all accounts she is a good surgeon, and people come in all flavors and all personalities. I can handle cold hard facts and the straight truth. A hip is a hip is a hip, and x-rays don't lie. I don't mind people who don't have the softest personality.

But leading up to my surgery date, I found myself frightened. At first, I just thought I was frightened about the procedure. However, I've had 5 orthopedic type surgeries (two were technically podiatry), and I never really feared them. Just the opposite - I looked forward to them because I knew that I would be better off after the surgery, so I always wanted to get those moving.

But in this case, I finally figured out that I was fearful of making an irreversible mistake. The doctor got it in my head that I'd likely be in worse shape after the surgery than I was now. Since I can pretty much to my daily activities right now, that concerned me. My real goal was to be able to get back to my active lifestyle, but she shut that down firmly. So why am I doing this? I found some objective reasons - I will have to do this eventually, so may as well do it when I'm young, and this will allow me to get back on my bike (as long as I don't tell my doctor) - but I found myself trying hard to convince myself that surgery now was the right choice. I don't know - maybe I over reacted to what the doctor said, but I don't think so. I tried to offset her negativity with all the positive stories I read on the internet and from my friends, but after a while it's it's just a big jumble and I can't sort out fact from emotion, realism from fear. And surgery was a big step to take.

So that's why I paused everything.

This is elective surgery. I can take a break, clear my head, and then reschedule. I'm not hobbling around now, so life will go on more or less the same for me. I realize that my situation could suddenly go downhill, and if that happens I will deal with it, and at that point I will know that surgery will be the right course of action. My wife wants me to see a different doctor, which sounds like a good idea.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Wow - I would get rid of that surgeon. THR is all about getting back to activity, not retiring. She may be a good surgeon but all the negativity is not realistic. Getting back on your bike is a priority for you. Find a surgeon who agrees. There are plenty out there!

Surgeon said you dont get a hip replacement to get back to activities. Oh ok. can I get it done to sit around and wait to pass away. Oh wait thats what I do now. Get rid of her. People go back to running marathons, playing sports they desire and living a happy pain free life with a successful hip replacement. The goal of a hip replacement is to rewind the clock. That just my 2 cents. I dont put Doctors on a pedestal. Most lack in basic social skills.

I can relate to you, I was similar back in 2014. Left hip replaced, right hip re-surfaced - both in 2014 - was the best move I ever made. I stopped jogging and tennis. Today, I play pickle ball, ride a bike alot, and swim. I am one of the oldest active freedivers in the state, and it remains my no. 1 passion. Go get the hips done! Talk to some patients of the surgeon you have chosen, and get it done!

I'm back (with a new username too).

To re-cap - I was scheduled for a hip replacement last summer, but I decided to postpone. Mostly because I didn't like my doctor's negativity and rudeness. I have no regrets about my decision and I'm glad that I had the courage to wait.

I have tried to stay active for the last six months, but I'm running out activities I can do. Hiking brings pain with almost every step - not a lot of pain, but when I'm on the trail for several hours it adds up and I find myself just wanted to finish instead of enjoying the trail. My last hike wasn't much fun, and I was in pain the rest of the day. I actually visited some of grandkids after that hike, and getting down on the floor with them was rough. I had to give up outdoor biking because it hurt. My left knee pushes outward, which is not good form, and I'm not getting much power from my left leg. Plus, it chronically hurts. I can ride indoors since I can control the power, but my left leg is still stiff, and the first few pedal strokes hurt. Walking has a familiar pattern - the first half mile is painful and I'm limping, then it gets better, then it gets sore. I've given up running - my last run was short and slow, but I was in pain for a few days afterwards. If I sit down at my desk all day it's not too bad, but when I go to work and walk around my office building, I have to concentrate not to limp.

Since then, I also changed my health insurance to a plan where I have more flexibility to choose whatever doctor I want. That took effect in mid-January. My wife met a woman in one of her exercise classes and mentioned my situation, and the woman said both her and her husband had had hip replacements, and told my wife the name of the doctor, so I made an appointment with him in late-February. Incidentally, I think I know the woman's husband and might have played tennis against him. He beat me, even with a hip replacement. That was encouraging.

Another encouraging encounter came from a yoga teacher I know. A few years ago I had taken some classes with her. One time she noticed me struggling with my left side and spent some extra time trying to stretch me out. At the time, I didn't realize the cause of my problem was arthritis, so we stretched and stretched, but it didn't do too much good. It turns out that she also needed a hip replacement and got it right after Christmas. I saw her a few days after her surgery at a social event and she was doing great. I saw her again a few weeks ago (about 8 weeks after the surgery) and she seemed to be fully healed. She showed me how she could sit cross-legged on the floor. She has been very encouraging to me.

Back to my appointment with the new doctor. He works at a large orthopedic clinic in the area, and seems to be a leader in the local community. The appointment went well. He patiently answered my questions and genuinely listened to me. He was candid and the diagnosis is the same, but he didn't get snippy with me. He said that the latest generation of cross-linked polyethylene liners were extremely durable, and said that I would have no restrictions afterwards, including running. He said that he had never had one fail because it wore out, and I liked that answer because it was based on evidence. He also listened to me when I said I didn't intend to run any more ultramarathons and just wanted to do a short run once a week with friends to justify coffee and a muffin afterwards, unlike my previous doctor who bit my head off when I just mentioned running. He said he has done 6,000 hip replacements and will use an anterior approach. There were a few other topics we discussed, and in each case, his answer was far more positive or reassuring than the doctor I had been seeing last summer.

So now I'm scheduled for surgery next month. At the end of the appointment, I said "Well, I guess the next time I see you will be in the operating room. Please be gentle with me." He replied "There is nothing gentle about this procedure," and smiled. But I still like the guy.

One concern I have is that this doctor doesn't do any post surgery PT. His nurse told me that the best PT is to walk. I will be given an app with exercises. She also said that they believe that PT is too goal oriented and that they push patients too much. I sort of get that but it seems like I'm sort of on my own. When I had a major shoulder operation a long time ago, the PTs were critical to my good rehabilitation. On the other hand, I'm pretty motivated, and after my knee surgeries I did most of the exercises by myself. I'd be interested if other people have had zero PT after their surgeries.

Finally, even though I had a much better experience with the new doctor, I'm still scared to death of the procedure. For better or worse, I've watched animations of the procedure and know what they will do. Yikes! I don't like needles and I'm scared of getting a needle inserted into my spine. The last time I was in a hospital was in April 2020 when my mother passed away from covid, and all the equipment in the operating room will likely bring back those unpleasant memories. I am also a little sad that I will have a part of my body cut out, and I know that when I wake up I will be sad because of this. When my mother's health was declining, she fell twice and had to have both hips replaced, and I find myself comparing myself to her at that stage of her life. Rightly or wrongly, I view this surgery as the end of my youth (even though I'm 62) when I could run or play tennis or bike for hours with boundless energy. I realize we are all mortal, but I'm anticipating a period of serious sadness after the surgery. This is different from my previous surgeries when I was looking forward to the positive change the surgery would provide. On the other hand, I am good at viewing things in a positive light, although I find that I'm trying extra hard in this case. Many, many people have gone through this procedure, and if they can do it, then so can I. I try to focus on the people I've met who have had this and have had positive outcomes. I have a lot of faith in the medical community. I am fortunate that this procedure is available to me, and that it is not life threatening. I have friends going through more serious health and life issues, so I really shouldn't whine. And when I try to be positive, I look at this as a challenge to overcome, and that I will have to figure out how to be happy and active in this next phase of my life.

Thanks for reading.

One concern I have is that this doctor doesn't do any post surgery PT. His nurse told me that the best PT is to walk. I will be given an app with exercises. She also said that they believe that PT is too goal oriented and that they push patients too much.
Hmmm... where have I heard this before? :whistle: Indeed walking is the best PT for a healing hip. Remember - you are not in training, you are healing. Once that hip has recovered from all the trauma, strength and endurance training can begin. But strength training can be counterproductive if done too early.

You will get back to all your activities. Just give yourself time to heal. A short space of time for a lifetime of activity.

Rightly or wrongly, I view this surgery as the end of my youth (even though I'm 62) when I could run or play tennis or bike for hours with boundless energy. I realize we are all mortal, but I'm anticipating a period of serious sadness after the surgery.
You have been going through a rather long downhill slide with lots of bumps along the way. The death of your mom, your hip issues and just the usual changes in life that come with aging. I hope you have friends around who are at a similar place in life so you can get some support. The surgery will almost surely be less traumatic than you imagine. Most folks can’t remember much of anything about getting the spinal. Read some of the recovery threads on this forum. After the first week or two folks are finding that they can do things that they haven’t been able to do for a long time and it keeps improving. You will be working towards a more active life than you’ve had in a long time and that should feel great. I look forward to hearing from you after surgery.

Welcome back.
I want to reassure you specifically about spinals...
On my first knee replacement, the last thing I remember was them helping me sit up on the operating table to receive the spinal; the next thing I knew, I was waking up in recovery. My next door neighbor had the identical experience. The reason is that one of the meds used for anesthesia is a short acting "sedative hypnotic" that grants us amnesia. My guess is this will be your experience.

Now, being that I'm older than you, on my second knee a different anesthesiologist didn't want to include that drug (Versed) and he was very reassuring. And the truth is, being awake for and remembering the spinal, it wasn't a painful or scary experience.

You probably won't get to talk with your anesthesiologist until you are actually in pre-op day of surgery. However, I've had several ortho and non ortho anesthesiologists over the decades, and (unlike surgeons!) they have all been good listeners, patient about my concerns, and willing to consider tweaking their approach.

@trailrunner Yes after a shoulder replacement you do need PT and usually after a hip replacement you do not need PT. The shoulder is a much smaller and more complex joint than the hip. It has more muscles and tendons attached to bones than the hip. So it takes PT to get all of those traumatized parts back to full functionality. Hips are basically a simple ball and socket joint with muscle and tendon attachments going around the joint not on it. So usually it does not require PT to gt the hip and leg back to working as they should. BUT if after several months of walking well and being able to do most things you need to do with the hip, IF you still have trouble doing things like putting that foot up onto opposite knee or bending the hip outward, then ask for a referral for PT to help with those movements.

I was 64yo when I had both hips replaced at the same time. I'd limped on bad hips for several years and while I could walk well and climb stairs, it took a long time to do the foot on opposite knee maneuver. About 4 months of PT to get left onto right, and nearly 8 months to get right onto left (right hip was the worst of the two prior to surgery).

I am so glad you found a surgeon you like! That will make every thing much easier. Also keep in mind that everyone you meet in the hospital is a professional. They do these surgeries nearly every work day and the focus of their work is YOUR well being!

Yes after a shoulder replacement you do need PT and usually after a hip replacement you do not need PT. The shoulder is a much smaller and more complex joint than the hip. It has more muscles and tendons attached to bones than the hip. So it takes PT to get all of those traumatized parts back to full functionality.
This is very insightful! I appreciate it. Yes, my shoulder was very tight, and I remember many painful but great sessions with the PTs stretching it out. I really came to appreciate them.

Also keep in mind that everyone you meet in the hospital is a professional. They do these surgeries nearly every work day and the focus of their work is YOUR well being!
Definitely. I have a lot of faith in them.

Hi @trailrunner :wave:
I certainly can relate to you bemoaning having to replace your original hip...
I liked both of mine...they served me well...
but when I was told bone-on-bone and BTHR was the key to getting my life back, I was so tired of the Chronic pain and lack of sleep that I honestly didn't seriously consider what I might not be able to do afterward...long term.
I have never been a runner or gym rat but I am high energy and do alot of walking, swimming, riding ATVs and boating.
I HAVE run.... to catch something or get away from something:) :-) (:

Giving your body time to heal and just walking may be your biggest challenge.....alot of it is a short-term mental game.

Will be rooting for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Becky56
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom